Improving the Game Day Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Was reading this article today about the Seattle Seahwaks and some things Parramatta are going to be trying in the NRL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...to-study-the-nfl/story-fni3fbgz-1227116863696

One of the biggest comments from fans over the past 5 years or so has been the decline in the game day experience.

Obviously the cost of food and drink inside are a major issue, but one that is unlikely to be fixed. The bombardment of ad's at an over bearing decibel level needs to be looked it. Yes advertising pays the way for the game, but there needs to be a balance.

One of the things in that article that sounds like a great idea is WiFi within the ground and app that only runs on that network that gives the end user camera angles that the viewer at home can't get. This could also be extended to include all the stats that a viewer is used to getting at home. At the ground now you can only get basic stats such as kicks, handballs, marks, tackles and goal and usually only at the breaks.

I'm not sure if the MCG or any other grounds have WiFi. You always hear people on BF complaining about lack of reception at the G in big games. Australia is unfortunately at the bottom end of the scale in the developed world for Technology infrastructure, which leaves all Australian codes behind the 8 ball.

In a more back to basics the AFL has announced kick to kick at some games at the G and also a few curtain raisers during the year. These are really positive moves.

What other things can the AFL implement (or remove that's currently there) to improve the experience of going to games? I know in my own mind they are not as fun as going 10 years ago.

Was reading this article today about the Seattle Seahwaks and some things Parramatta are going to be trying in the NRL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...to-study-the-nfl/story-fni3fbgz-1227116863696

One of the biggest comments from fans over the past 5 years or so has been the decline in the game day experience.

Obviously the cost of food and drink inside are a major issue, but one that is unlikely to be fixed. The bombardment of ad's at an over bearing decibel level needs to be looked it. Yes advertising pays the way for the game, but there needs to be a balance.

One of the things in that article that sounds like a great idea is WiFi within the ground and app that only runs on that network that gives the end user camera angles that the viewer at home can't get. This could also be extended to include all the stats that a viewer is used to getting at home. At the ground now you can only get basic stats such as kicks, handballs, marks, tackles and goal and usually only at the breaks.

I'm not sure if the MCG or any other grounds have WiFi. You always hear people on BF complaining about lack of reception at the G in big games. Australia is unfortunately at the bottom end of the scale in the developed world for Technology infrastructure, which leaves all Australian codes behind the 8 ball.

In a more back to basics the AFL has announced kick to kick at some games at the G and also a few curtain raisers during the year. These are really positive moves.

What other things can the AFL implement (or remove that's currently there) to improve the experience of going to games? I know in my own mind they are not as fun as going 10 years ago.
they had free WIFI at Stadium Australia as well as free transport to & from games in the NRL last season, they still had a overall drop in crowds

in QLD (brisbane anyway) free transport to and from games, something like that would work well in Melbourne it would reduce the overall cost for a family going to the football for the day.

as for free wifi, if any one has ever tried to log on to a fee wifi server during lunch hour at a shopping center, its slower than the old dial up connection. let along a large crowd at the MCG

Making it easier to re-sell or "open up" your reserved seating would be a good idea. If you know you can't make it to a game you click a link on your clubs website then they offer it discounted on a page dedicated to re-selling reserved seats (I'm not sure if anything like that exists but if it does it isn't advertised at all).

Also let people sit wherever they like after the first quarter is over. This mainly applies to the less supported teams but it's so stupid when you go to a match at the G or Etihad and the majority of the crowd is on the top floor. The atmosphere would be greatly increased if the crowd were allowed to fill the first 2 stands and it would look much better on tTV.

On the advertising thing, something that has been happening more often the last year or two that really annoys me is when they play an ad on the scoreboard while play is going on. They just try to sneak ads in so much that they'll do it during stoppages and the ball is already in play by the time the ad has finished. It's annoying that they seem to be skipping replays a lot to get ads in, but when you can't see the play and look up at the scoreboard to see an ad, it causes you to miss parts of the game.

They stick an ad on the screen before the goal replay and flash up an ad when the ball goes out of bounds. So you get a brief replay or none at all. Needs quick, pertinent replays like TV broadcasts. Many times a game something interesting happens and they simply don't show it because it's not the goal scorer marking and kicking.

Blaring ads between quarters and before the game is also quite annoying.

Last edited:
I don't care about ads on the screen but for gods sake can they get rid of or at least lower the volume of the ads and terrible music they play before the game and during breaks? It's ridiculous that you can't even have a proper conversation with the person standing next to you. The siren is deafening where I usually sit as well which is Southern Stand on the wing about 15 rows back.

Making it easier to re-sell or "open up" your reserved seating would be a good idea. If you know you can't make it to a game you click a link on your clubs website then they offer it discounted on a page dedicated to re-selling reserved seats (I'm not sure if anything like that exists but if it does it isn't advertised at all).

Also let people sit wherever they like after the first quarter is over. This mainly applies to the less supported teams but it's so stupid when you go to a match at the G or Etihad and the majority of the crowd is on the top floor. The atmosphere would be greatly increased if the crowd were allowed to fill the first 2 stands and it would look much better on tTV.

So tell me then why I'd continue to pay my club $750 a year to have a prime reserved seat on level 2, with no kids around me and the ability to use toilets and bars with no queuiing, etc, if every man and his dog with a general admission ticket can come and join me after quarter time?

So tell me then why I'd continue to pay my club $750 a year to have a prime reserved seat on level 2, with no kids around me and the ability to use toilets and bars with no queuiing, etc, if every man and his dog with a general admission ticket can come and join me after quarter time?
You're at the footy, not the Quantas VIP lounge. If you would rather a smaller wait in line for a beer than a more exciting atmosphere at the game then you are going for the wrong reason mate.

You're at the footy, not the Quantas VIP lounge. If you would rather a smaller wait in line for a beer than a more exciting atmosphere at the game then you are going for the wrong reason mate.

You neglected the key component of my question, which wasn't the beer line.

Why would I continue to fork out top dollar for the best seats in the house (and thus deprive my club of important revenue) when any man and his dog can sit there for nothing?

The short beer queue isn't why I go to the footy. It is, however, one reason I am prepared to continue to fork out significantly more than the next bloke to get the best seats in the place.

Last edited:
You neglected the key component of my question, which wasn't the beer line.

Why would I continue to fork out top dollar for the best seats in the house (and thus deprive my club of important revenue) when any man and his dog can sit there for nothing?

The short beer queue isn't why I go to the footy. It is, however, one reason I am prepared to continue to fork out significantly more than the next bloke to get the best seats in the place.
Altruistic motives perhaps? Feeling enjoyment knowing you're letting less fortunate people enjoy the same comforts that you can?

Most people I know who buy the premium memberships do so as a kind of donation to the club in addition to all the benefits you get. Anyway you still get your reserved seat, if the reserve members turn up they get their seat as well, you would get the piece of mind knowing that all season you can have the best seat in the house. If you have a basic membership then you might turn up to a typically low drawing game knowing you might get the chance to sit in a good seat, it could increase revenue.

Letting people sit in level 2 is probably taking it too far but at least opening up the reserve areas on level 1 would be logical, as they share the same food and bars as general admission. If a team is hosting GWS at the G what is the point of not allowing people into a reserved bay when there is a total of 10 people sitting there?

Altruistic motives perhaps? Feeling enjoyment knowing you're letting less fortunate people enjoy the same comforts that you can?

Most people I know who buy the premium memberships do so as a kind of donation to the club in addition to all the benefits you get. Anyway you still get your reserved seat, if the reserve members turn up they get their seat as well, you would get the piece of mind knowing that all season you can have the best seat in the house. If you have a basic membership then you might turn up to a typically low drawing game knowing you might get the chance to sit in a good seat, it could increase revenue.

Letting people sit in level 2 is probably taking it too far but at least opening up the reserve areas on level 1 would be logical, as they share the same food and bars as general admission. If a team is hosting GWS at the G what is the point of not allowing people into a reserved bay when there is a total of 10 people sitting there?

Nah. I believe heavily in the user pays model. I think we are already far too "giving" to the "less fortunate". There's no incentive for people to work hard and try to better their situation.

But I digress.

I'd probably be inclined to agree with you about Level 1 - in fact, I believe some clubs already allow this where capacity exists, most likely for the reasons you're espousing.

*, the game day experience when i first started going was a trillion times better than now. Don't get me wrong. The match itself is the main gig but we used to have curtain raiser and did not have to put up with bullshit made up entertainment like kiss cam or dance cam just so some goons can see themselves on screen for a moment or two. We only have to listen to these generic ground announcers because there is no curtain raiser. feck, even the bluebirds were way more interesting than the boring bullshit that goes on now.
Kick to kick on ground after the match and your reserve team playing before the senior game most weeks. It is not rocket science that we come to the footy to see FOOTY. A game already on does wonders particularly if the curtain raiser includes players from your own club trying to break into senior team.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it. One of most stupid things ever was to have curtain raiser being absent now for basically a good decade or more.

Last edited:
Curtain raisers and Kick-to-kick have been standard features at GWS games at Skoda/Spotless since day one.

So the Victorians are only just now catching up with Western Sydney in the game day experience stakes :confused::eek::p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back