In Hine we trust....but What would you have done differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

What would I have done differently?

I would have dropped a Stone Cold Stunner on Beams. Yeah!

UL30ht3.gif

I probably would have had a go at Garlett after seeing how cheap he went.
He could have been handy in our forward line.
No great loss that we didn't though.

Not a Big Fan of Garlett. He is Softer the Varcoe and does less then Varcoe and Les then of a Team player then Varcoe.

Glad we got Varcoe instead of Garlett

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3189&tid2=10&pid2=1621&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3189&tid2=10&pid2=1621&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Remove Varcoe for an early second rounder and I'd be fairly happy.

As it is, we did quite well under the circumstances. Time will tell with Crisp.

Remove Varcoe for an early second rounder and I'd be fairly happy.

As it is, we did quite well under the circumstances. Time will tell with Crisp.

I think most people would Prefer us to upgrade Pick 30 then get Varcoe.

I think getting Varcoe shows that people at the Club still think we can make the Finals and even make a run at Top 4

I think that they see Varcoe as a replacement for Lamumba, which I don't quite accept, but the recruiters can judge this far better than I. My view is that Varcoe doesn't have that capacity to take opponents on and nearly always win. We'll see. Some experience had to come from somewhere.
Crisp I have no idea about. I will regard any good performances as bonus's (should be boni I know).
Pick 5 will have to be a midfielder, hopefully one that can come in quickly.
Talk of trading Nathan Brown makes no sense to me.
It would have been nice to get Clark, but I don't know his reasons for choosing Geelong. Probably more money than we were prepared to risk, and the risk is substantial.
A run at Cooney might have made sense, if we had the currency to buy him.
Garlett would have been another risky choice.

In a general way, I agree with those who are saying that the AFL has created a monster with its free agency rules. Clearly nobody took these rules at the writing stage and asked "what will the most money hungry and unscrupulous players and agents do with this?" This failure to prepare for the unscrupulous exploitation of a system is common throughout business, government and society in general, and illustrates the lack of understanding in most management structures.

In our case, it is the AFL. A fix is urgently needed, before the next trade period. The fix had better take account of the "worst possible" interpretation before it happens. Those responsible for the laws of the game could do with a similar long hard look at what they do. Those responsible for the move to professionalism, the huge pots of money and the interchange didn't perform this hard bitten analysis and the game has suffered. I hope they do before any new system is launched.

I think getting Varcoe shows that people at the Club still think we can make the Finals and even make a run at Top 4
Finals a maybe at best, definitely not a shot at top four next year. We are too far behind other teams and the kids won't be quite good enough yet.

I think Varcoe is another sort of risk/reward choice of which we've had a few. Although in fairness to the Club most of the ones we've taken in free agency have cost very little so were worth the risk. If Varcoe could reclaim his best form and a bit of consistency he's be a great pickup. Otherwise I can see him quickly becoming the new whipping boy.

I guess what drove this decision was the now critical lack of experienced line breaking players. With the loss of Shaw, Johnson, Thomas and Lumumba in successive years we are probably desperate to bring Varcoe in as a replacement.

This year I feel like Hine should sell some candy to the clubs above us in the order. I'm convinced the Bulldogs sniffed out Bontempelli last year because we were all over him to begin with. I reckon we should decide who we really want and then put heaps of work into someone else. Once the media start making a big deal of who Collingwood are 'heavily into' GWS, Melbourne and St. Kilda will start second guessing themselves and deciding they should be after that kid as well. Then there's a real chance of us getting one of the so-called 'top four'.

Would love to see someone make a Randy Orton RKO vid like the ones going viral atm for Beams..

Alas... I lack the software and know how to do it myself...

This year I feel like Hine should sell some candy to the clubs above us in the order. I'm convinced the Bulldogs sniffed out Bontempelli last year because we were all over him to begin with. I reckon we should decide who we really want and then put heaps of work into someone else. Once the media start making a big deal of who Collingwood are 'heavily into' GWS, Melbourne and St. Kilda will start second guessing themselves and deciding they should be after that kid as well. Then there's a real chance of us getting one of the so-called 'top four'.
Were we going to take bont over shazza?

Were we going to take bont over shazza?
I think we intended to take Bonts at 6 on the assumption that Shaz would be gone already.

At this time last year all the phantoms had him and Aish going top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some will if the players they're interested in are likely to fall 2-3 places.

For example - with Melbourne losing a KPD like Frawley maybe they woudld've entertained the idea that we move up to 2 or 3 and discuss who we are both interested in with a gentlemans along the lines of at 2 we'll take either Petracca or McCartin and leave you Brayshaw and we'll give you Nathan Brown as that KPD you're looking for.

I don't know but it's certainly something clubs would discuss. I think the trouble with 5 in this years draft is that it sounds like after 4 it drops a bit.
I don't know why everyone is falling for the spin that after pick 4 everyone else is a useless pick. I find it hard to believe that there are only 4 stars in the state.

I don't know why everyone is falling for the spin that after pick 4 everyone else is a useless pick. I find it hard to believe that there are only 4 stars in the state.
There are also potential draftees outside of Victoria also

I think it's as nonsensical as it always is and there will be a number of gems found past the top four I have absolutely no doubt. The best player in the whole draft will probably be pick 37 or something - but there's also no question going on the available evidence that one of Petracca or Brayshaw would be a great immediate fit for our list. If they (as expected) are unavailable I'd trust Hine to make the right call on the next best young kid, based on his 'intelligence' and detailed homework which is nearly always better than the media, social media, the local pub and big footy.

Would not hav given brisbane pick 67 in the beams deal . FK em

Would of insisted on pick 23 in the 3way lumumba deal, giving them 30 in the process

Would of had greenwood varcoe crisp
With picks 5,9 ( moore ) 23, 48, 67

Could of then gone to GC and offered them 5,23 for 8,15 or just kept them depending who we rated and where they will fall in draft.

Would of then passed on pick 67 in the draft just to piss brisbane off

I'll tell you what I would have done differently in about 3 years....maybe in 1 year for some of the calls like Clark. I still couldnt give a definitive answer on whether it was a mistake to recruit Ceglar or to drop him off the list. Some answers take time...

I'd have to disagree, you only need to look at Melbourne, GC and GWS. and even our late season form. even if Varcoe end up a dud he is an experienced body and player and if you have to many kids on the park you go backwards. the club made the right call on him. if he was a dud he wouldn't have premiership medallions.

I would have handled the Beams thing differently.

- The club knew for ages that this could be a possibility - all the discussions about accommodating him should have happened much much earlier. The club were clearly unprepared and spent the whole trade trying to catch up.

- Once he made the decision to leave, I wouldn't have tried to change it, I would have been openly supportive of his decision. And I most certainly wouldn't have been making snide remarks about Brisbane's offer in the media. In public I would have been all peaches and cream ... with the caveat "... assuming we'll get an equitable deal and I'm confident we will." ... Maybe Beams might have turned up on Copeland.

- I would have imposed the deadline (as the club did). I would have started negotiations after Copeland night.

- Brisbane would be given a number of choices (say eg: Pick 5 and Mayes, Pick 5 and Aish, etc, etc) which I would have accepted. I would have been publicly understanding of Brisbane's predicament, but ultimately my job is to get an equitable deal for CFC.

- I would have been clear of my intentions in the Friday media release to the public and members. Personally I would have pulled the pin on Brisbane if they didn't come to the party by the deadline. Beams would be going elsewhere or staying.

- I would not have dragged the members of CFC into my negotiating tactics. I would have either kept them updated 100% of everything I could (likely) or kept them out of it.

Would not hav given brisbane pick 67 in the beams deal . FK em

Would of insisted on pick 23 in the 3way lumumba deal, giving them 30 in the process

Would of had greenwood varcoe crisp
With picks 5,9 ( moore ) 23, 48, 67

Could of then gone to GC and offered them 5,23 for 8,15 or just kept them depending who we rated and where they will fall in draft.

Would of then passed on pick 67 in the draft just to piss brisbane off

Piss Varcoe off out of this and I'm on board! I'd have preferred the 7 pick upgrade by itself than throwing 3 years his way...

If we had to get a type like him go after Cooney he only wanted a two year deal and is clearly the better player!

Always like it when there is an opportunity to have people stick their necks out.

Having seen all the trades and the picks / players used was there someone you think we should have targeted?

I liked the Greenwood deal and was happy with Crisp and pick 5.

The one for me is probably Varcoe. I'm not sure I get that one and probably would have kept that pick. I know they wanted speed but I'm happy to back in Sinclair, Williams, Kennedy and Seedsman for that role. A lot of people pour crap on 40 but he was inj last year and the year prior to that had us excited.

I would then have used pick 30 for Hallahan. He'd walk into our 22 and allow Adams to get on outside a bit more. Would have also built the 'bank' a bit more.

The one that got away was Clark. They simply took to long and we may learn a lesson there but it was always a risk.

I'm averse to pouring crap or heaping scorn on any of "our" football players. With respect to Seedsman who I believe has a good skill set and acknowledging his injury interrupted season & preseason, I just don't share the optimistic expectations that others have about him & placed on him. In particular, I believe he lacks good defensive skills & misses far too many shots for goal, that is he seems to waste his opportunities more than capitalise on them. For me he's good but is a point kicker & we have too many of them. Hopefully he has a break out year based on a solid injury free preseason.

Having said that, I like Sinclair & he can be very dangerous with his sheer pace & line breaking, He too is a point kicker but is better defensively than Seedsman IMO - I know they don't compete for the same spot.

I would have preferred not to have selected Varcoe & used the pick for the Hawthorn bloke - I like your thinking here. If he is the player I think he is, he played a damn fine game in the VFL granny.

Now that Varcoe is with us I wish him the best & hope he makes the nay sayers eat our words. Welcome aboard Travis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back