Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2005
Fog City
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Canucks, Giants, 49ers, Warriors
Hi all,

As JC proposed in the fantasy hockey thread, it looks like it might be time to start a BigFooty fantasy keeper league. This league should not be seen as a competitor to the two-division BFFHL, rather an alternative type of league that requires long term planning and commitment.

I suggest that we limit the league to 12 teams to start with. Experience has shown that trying to include many more than that makes it difficult to keep all managers from year to year. If we need an expansion at a later date we can consider it then.

The key to a keeper is making sure people do not leave if they have a downturn. That is the point at which they need to be committed and commence a rebuild.

The following managers have shown interest at this stage, and having played against most of them for the last couple of years, commitment is not an issue.

BFKL (League ID #25298)
Crackers27 - ???
doofdoof - doof
PalaceGun - Glasgow Mega-Snakes
Scottyjc - Hertl Power
Air Conveyance - Jack's Journeymen
JC - Malkin in the Middle
TheStinger - Marchand Madness
Marns - Modano's memories
Bradesmaen - McJesus & 5 Apostles
Peter Sidorkiewicz - Schneider's Stogies
Two Blue Tiger - TBT Bleu et Bleu
stay true - Yzermaaaaaan

===============
Reserves

===============

2016 Keeper date - passed

===============

2016 Draft Date - 9th October 2016

===============

Draft rules and settings the following. Questions have been asked about the roster sizes, but I think that with limited moves per year having an extended bench is the trade off. The extended bench also allows you to search for rookies who you think may be worth keeping without having them impact your current production as much as having to keep active players all the time. This has worked in practice for a number of years in another league I am in.

Some other notes:

- FW included as per request, I like it as it helps increase the value of centres
- GWG removed
- 3 goalie starts per week
- Veto - League votes

=================================

League Administration

- Peter Sidorkiewicz
- Each member of the league is entitled to one vote in any league decision.
- Any potential rule change requires a majority vote to be made a rule. The commissioner or assistant commissioner (any takers?) will create a poll where each manager will have 1 week to vote. Any manager not voting within 1 week is assumed to vote for no change or "status quo".
- Decisions on league expansion require 3/4 majority approval.
- If we lose managers then we have a reserve list. Managers from the BFFHL may also be interested

Rosters
12 teams - HTH - 23-man rosters
3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench (2 IR)

Categories
G A PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG FW SOG
W Saves SV% GAA SO

Minimum Goaltender Games per Team (each week): 3

Trade Rules

- No trades may be made during fantasy hockey playoffs
- Player trading, draft pick trading, and keeper slot trading are allowed and are encouraged.
- Each GM should be responsible to their trades. If you accepted a trade offer, you can't reverse the trades. THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ACCEPT AN OFFER.

Keeper rule
- you can keep 8 players from your team
- you can also keep an additional 3 players who as rookies
- in total, you can keep 11 players (8 veterans + 3 rookies) out of 24 players
- if you decided to keep only 8 veterans and no rookie players, those 3 rookie spots are treated as draft picks for you to fill up the missing spots AFTER the free agent draft

Rookie Players
- 3 rookies can be kept on top of the original 8 keepers in a team
- a player is only considered as a rookie player if he played in two or
less seasons prior to the start of a new season
- a season is considered to be 22 games or more

Drafting order
To avoid any team giving up during this season to get better draft order next year, draft picks will be determined based on playoff performance.

Top 6 that makes to the playoff - winner of 1st will get 12th overall pick, 2nd will get 11th overall pick etc etc till 7th overall pick for the 6th place winner

Bottom 6 that doesn't make it to the playoff - winner of that bracket will get 1st overall pick (7th place of the league), 8th place will get 2nd overall pick .... etc until the 12th placed team receives the 6th overall pick

Last edited:
Epic post. Some thoughts.

Not sure about the goalie starts. I think it's probably unnecessary.

With the rosters, maybe lose the 1W and 1C and have 1 or 2 extra bench spots. I mean we are probably going to want to carry at least one or two players who may not play much or at all for a year or two.

Everything else I am happy with. I will also nominate for Ass. Comish.

I can go either way on min. goalie starts.

I don't think a min. is necessary, because goalie stats like W, SV and SHO are dependent on starting a goalie/s, so I think you don't start goalies at your own peril...

I think league votes on veto, with active managers, we should get a fair representation on the feelings towards a trade, when the commish decides, there can be a lot of animosity.

Also, Roto or Head to Head?

Change of mind - Shouldn't have any problem in keeping my team active, so you can put me into the keeper too if there's a spot.

Seems as if there's plenty of committed players out there, so hope it goes well.

Not sure about the goalie starts. I think it's probably unnecessary.
I can go either way on min. goalie starts.

I don't think a min. is necessary, because goalie stats like W, SV and SHO are dependent on starting a goalie/s, so I think you don't start goalies at your own peril...

If it is H2H then I think a minimum is necessary in order to stop managers sitting their goalies if they start with a SO.

I think 3 is probably a better number regardless. If Roto then it is not an issue

With the rosters, maybe lose the 1W and 1C and have 1 or 2 extra bench spots. I mean we are probably going to want to carry at least one or two players who may not play much or at all for a year or two.

Let's lose the F and W spots, while adding a single bench spot. That gives us 23 man rosters with 6 bench spots

Everything else I am happy with. I will also nominate for Ass. Comish.

You are welcome to run the league if you'd like, I'm not maniacal ;-)

If not then it would be great to share the responibility

I think league votes on veto, with active managers, we should get a fair representation on the feelings towards a trade, when the commish decides, there can be a lot of animosity.

Yep, it is a tough one. Happy to go with that

Also, Roto or Head to Head?

Either works for me. H2H give you smaller chunks to keep your interest, even though it can throw up some pretty random results. Anyone have a strong preference? Maybe we run a poll

Change of mind - Shouldn't have any problem in keeping my team active, so you can put me into the keeper too if there's a spot.

Seems as if there's plenty of committed players out there, so hope it goes well.

Sure thing. I still think 12 teams is a good number (especially if H2H), so I'll put you down as first reserve at this point. Keep an eye on this thread to see how we go finalising the league

I definitely prefer H2H.

All good with you being comish doof, experience is something that has already come in handy.

3 goalie starts is good.

Are we going to use Yahoo or ESPN for this? Also I nominate calling it the Keeper Hockey League or KHL for short (assuming that isn't already taken by another league);)

I was going to use Yahoo as that is what I (and I think most people here) am familiar with.

Probably good to get the BF in there somewhere ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's trying to figure out a way to get Alexi Yashin back into the game so that you can sign him up for a long term contract ;)
Nah, I'm going to use Alexander Daigle as one of my Rookie Keepers. That lad's going to be a star.

Invites sent to first 12. If anyone is no longer keen, let me know so we can find replacements

League ID 25298

Which managers are the following teams?

Yzermaaaaaan (stay true?)
Glasgow Mega-Snakes (PalaceGun?)
Taxicab Kanefessions

It looks like these are not too many times that work for a draft for all for the standard league.

How would people be placed for a draft this coming weekend, preferably before midday?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back