Toast Indigenous families fostering AFL's future

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice article and story about Jed and JML and the Egan family who have fostered out boys over the last 3 years.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/06/30/indigenous-families-fostering-afls-future
In December 2014, Jermaine Miller Lewis, 19, was performing in an Indigenous dance ceremony near his home south of Perth, unaware his life was about to change.

Still covered in body paint, he checked his mobile phone and found over 50 missed calls and text messages, all telling him that he'd been drafted by the Hawthorn football club.

"I won't repeat what I said. I sort of held my chest I got light in my head, I barracked for the Hawks as a young fellow so I couldn't believe it," he said.

The next step was planning his first big move away from home, family and country to the other side of Australia. Miller-Lewis says it was a daunting prospect until Leon Egan - a Yorta Yorta man living in Melbourne's east - visited his family in Western Australia and offered him a room in his home.

Without people like the Egans our club wouldn't be able to develop these kids into the great young men that we see, so a heartfelt thanks to those host families who do so much for our recruits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back