Indigenous players pushed to move away from bad influences

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can someone educate me on this please.
I understand everyone is different but when connection to land and family is valued highly why are indigenous players being pushed to move away from their local regions by close family who have their best interest at heart. I understand that it may be a chance to get away from bad influences. I am just a little confused as this seems a little similar to the thoughts of the government during the stolen generation period.

It's more akin to poor families getting a scholarship for a kid to go take advantage of. The kid doesn't want to move away to College/Uni because they wan't to stay with their mates.

The parents/family however realise it's a great chance for the kid to break away from usually the poverty the family finds itself in and break the cycle.

Can someone educate me on this please.
I understand everyone is different but when connection to land and family is valued highly why are indigenous players being pushed to move away from their local regions by close family who have their best interest at heart. I understand that it may be a chance to get away from bad influences. I am just a little confused as this seems a little similar to the thoughts of the government during the stolen generation period.
Thought and deed are two different things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back