Inferno - Dan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, you were the one who compared Brown to Emmerlich and Bay. I was just pointing out that even they get positive reviews from some quite decent critics for their better films. Something that doesn't really happen with Brown.

I wouldn't equate the two forms of disdain, either. The disdain for people who like high art tends to be skepticism of their motives, whereas the disdain for people who like more mainstream stuff is based on an inherent belief of superiority. The former is easily corrected, but the latter is far more ingrained.

Again, maybe for a lot of critics Brown doesn't even reach that level of 'okay fun romp'...which is all I was really trying to say, but meh.

I don't know, mate, I know a lot of people who cling to that view of 'high art' as being pretentious and people only pretend to like it and all that crap...and it seems pretty ingrained in to them. I personally believe they derive from similar places...

Former: I don't get why people like certain art...they must be pretentious.
Latter: I don't get why people like that certain other art...Maybe I'm just superior.

Anyway, I don't really care...I certainly don't judge people who like Brown and encourage people to read whatever the * makes them happy, regardless of whether I like it or not.

I think you could argue that Brown has done the literary establishment a huge favour by introducing millions of people to Dante though.

Caesar nailed it when he mentioned Independence Day, its not a piece of fine art, but I found it very enjoyable. And its not Stephenie Meyer or EL James, who are probably the only exceptions to the rule "it doesn't matter what you read, as long as you're reading"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back