Injury Injuries 2014 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is rugby? And why is it booking out Subi on the weekend of finals?

Seriously though, amateur hour by the organizers
Patterson oval signed a 3 year deal with the ARU for test matches Australia verses whom ever they were playing this I believe is the last year of the contract . WAFL and the AFL fumed like crazy when they found out about it but nothing could be done . Last year if we had of had a top 2 finish the same conflict of dates was on the cards .

Walters is Group 1 and he might be back for Carlton: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-16/walters-back-in-the-frame

And what cracks me up is that Lyon refers to Sylvia's basket again: "No one is safe, really. We've got Stephen Hill to come back after the bye. Michael Walters on his way back, Matt de Boer, Tommy Sheridan, Garrick Ibbotson coming back - so there's pressure on for spots and performance and Colin sits in that basket."

The Colin Sylvia Basket certainly seems to be quite the dynamic metaphor which is open to an abundance of meanings...

Was just coming to post this if no one else had. This is outstanding news!

Fox footy were chatting about Walters last night on him being crucial to our chances of breaking our premiership duck.

A team might be able to stop one of ballas/Walters, but they can't stop both.

Month of footy into the little master should have him hitting top gear nicely come finals.

Based on this and his class, there is no reason he can not hit the ground running.

He's progressing really well," Lyon said on Wednesday.
"He's running. He's punching out 30km a week. We're just conditioning him.

"The risk from here is a soft tissue (injury). So he's in full speed training. He's not in football (training) yet so it's conditioning against soft tissue risk."

Stephen Hill, like Walters, should be available to return from his quad strain after the bye. Hayden Ballantyne will also return from his suspension after the bye while Luke McPharlin is due to return this week to face St Kilda

Lyon said there was no temptation to rest McPharlin as it was important that his injury-prone defender played following a minor calf strain.

"We don't work like that," Lyon said.

"If he's right to play, he'll play.

Love waking up to news like this. Was the same when Fyfe resigned. Pretty hard to have a bad day from now.

Haha that morning was amazing. Laying in bed on twitter and seen that, fair to say i had a spring in my step when i got up.

I assume we'll be seeing the appearance of some sort of photoshopped wicker basket containing Colin at some stage on here...

Great news non the less! Mick & Carlton i'm sure are 'looking forward to the challenge'. :p
Media will be circling just beyond detonation range all day I'd wager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume we'll be seeing the appearance of some sort of photoshopped wicker basket containing Colin at some stage on here...

Great news non the less! Mick & Carlton i'm sure are 'looking forward to the challenge'. :p
Media will be circling just beyond detonation range all day I'd wager.

"Not now Colin, I'm trying to pick a team."
ColinBasket.jpg

If Son-Son's first game back is the Carlton match, imagine the roar he'll get from the Purple Army...as loud or louder than Mora's welcome?

I don't think it'd even rate compared to that of Moras personally.

Based on this and his class, there is no reason he can not hit the ground running.

He's progressing really well," Lyon said on Wednesday.
"He's running. He's punching out 30km a week. We're just conditioning him.

"The risk from here is a soft tissue (injury). So he's in full speed training. He's not in football (training) yet so it's conditioning against soft tissue risk."

Stephen Hill, like Walters, should be available to return from his quad strain after the bye. Hayden Ballantyne will also return from his suspension after the bye while Luke McPharlin is due to return this week to face St Kilda

Lyon said there was no temptation to rest McPharlin as it was important that his injury-prone defender played following a minor calf strain.

"We don't work like that," Lyon said.

"If he's right to play, he'll play.

Bit of a reality check here all...

30 km a week isn't a lot for a footballer... most midfielders do 15km a game.... RTB notes football training is yet to start, and that would include the repeat sprints, explosive runs and ball practice.

Great to hear him getting Km's into his legs but he is still a bit off of returning to full capacity. However, with him returning, it will allow Ballas to roam up the ground and which will allow Walters to sit back in the 50 at Pav's and Apeness's feet while he gets match fitness in the final rounds

INJURY LIST - AS AT 15 JULY, 2014
Alex Silvagni (Ribs) test (from test)
Stephen Hill (Quad) 1 weeks (from 2 weeks)
Michael Walters (Ankle) 1-5 weeks (from 2-6 weeks)
Brady Grey (Back) season
Garrick Ibbotson (Calf) 1-2 weeks (new)
Luke McPharlin (Calf) test (new)
Scott Gumbleton (Back) test (new)
Kepler Bradley (Hamstring) TBA (new)

Initial diagnoses:

Hill - 2 weeks (1 weeks ago)
Silvagni - test (2 week ago)
Walters - 16-18 weeks (13 weeks ago)
Brady Grey - Back season (new)
Garrick Ibbotson - Calf 1-2 weeks (new)
Luke McPharlin - Calf test (new)
Scott Gumbleton - Back test (new)
Kepler Bradley- Hamstring TBA (new)

No longer on injury list:
Johnson = 4 weeks missed (initially diagnosed as 4-6 weeks)
Matthew Taberner (Hamstring) Initial diagnosis test (0 weeks missed)

INJURY LIST - AS AT 29 JULY, 2014
Stephen Hill (Quad) test (from 1 week)
Garrick Ibbotson (Calf) test (from 1-2 weeks)
Scott Gumbleton (Back) test (from test)
Michael Walters (Ankle) 1 week (from 1-5 weeks)
Kepler Bradley (Hamstring) 1 week (from TBA)
Clancee Pearce (Hip) 3 weeks (NEW)
Brady Grey (Back) season

Initial diagnoses:

Walters - 16-18 weeks (15 weeks ago)
Silvagni - test (4 weeks ago)
Hill - 2 weeks (3 weeks ago)

Brady Grey - season (2 weeks ago)
Garrick Ibbotson - 1-2 weeks (2 weeks ago)
Scott Gumbleton - test (2 weeks ago)
Kepler Bradley- 3 weeks (2 weeks ago)
Clancee Pearce - 3 weeks (new)

McPharlin = 1 week missed (initially diagnosed as 1-2 weeks)
Sandilands = 1 week missed (injury length not diagnosed)

Last edited:
INJURY LIST - AS AT 29 JULY, 2014
Stephen Hill (Quad) test (from 1 week)
Garrick Ibbotson (Calf) test (from 1-2 weeks)
Scott Gumbleton (Back) test (from test)
Michael Walters (Ankle) 1 week (from 1-5 weeks)
Kepler Bradley (Hamstring) 1 week (from TBA)
Clancee Pearce (Hip) 3 weeks (NEW)
Brady Grey (Back) season

Initial diagnoses:

Walters - 16-18 weeks (15 weeks ago)
Silvagni - test (4 weeks ago)
Hill - 2 weeks (3 weeks ago)

Brady Grey - season (2 weeks ago)
Garrick Ibbotson - 1-2 weeks (2 weeks ago)
Scott Gumbleton - test (2 weeks ago)
Kepler Bradley- 3 weeks (2 weeks ago)
Clancee Pearce - 3 weeks (new)

McPharlin = 1 week missed (initially diagnosed as 1-2 weeks)
Sandilands = 1 week missed (injury length not diagnosed)

Awesome; reckon with that 1 week for Bradley it'll be unlikely he'll make a comeback this year. Gumbleton could still be a smokey but I doubt it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back