Injury Injuries 2014 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarke would've been putting his hand up to play which probably wasn't the right decision

Had a feeling something wasn't right, he was playing nowhere near his potential.

On another injury note I saw a photo tweet from Micky Barlow a week or so ago with his family and he was shown still in his moonboot!

That's been a while now. I wonder what his injury is to keep him in it so long. Obviously played that port game with a few jabs.
I over heard him telling a punter ,he had a broken bone in his foot

Mora, are you going to reply to this one?
I dont usually take much notice of Hackdorn but I did spot Mora limping very heavily about 3/4 weeks ago (this was 3 weeks after he injured his knee-which was supposed to be minor -2 week injury)
So maybe the injury was worse than first thought

I dont usually take much notice of Hackdorn but I did spot Mora limping very heavily about 3/4 weeks ago (this was 3 weeks after he injured his knee-which was supposed to be minor -2 week injury)
So maybe the injury was worse than first thought
It was a meniscus injury, as far as I'm aware that's about 8 weeks. He also has knee trouble, I would assume he would be having a very conservative recovery.

There's an article on the AFL site about it too. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-19/mixed-fortunes-for-talls Freo are just quiet about off-season ops & stuff. Those players on the Freo website were only put up after the AFL spilled the news on them.

That article is quoting the Herald Sun as its only source, which is Hagdorn's article. Just because you repeat a Hagdorn lie doesn't make it true.

Or the club has held it back. That's happened before too.
They'd have known of the issue a week ago when that was released.

The club has been very good at revealing information as long as there isn't a strategic reason to withhold the information. They don't talk about injuries and operations during season and during trade week, but none of that applies at the moment.
So, unless they are going to make an announcement regarding Clarke very soon, I reckon Hagdorn made most of this stuff up.

How gutsy is that ,Clarke should have a medal for playing in that condition but as some have pointed out WTF was Lyon thinking of playing him in the Port game when Griffin was in good shape to go as was Hannath .
The experience of playing in a final , winning or loosing would have been a good learning curve for Hannath or Griffin .
I can see now why we were not prepared to loose a ruckman in trade week .

I totally disagree with your comment about Hannath or Griffin being in good shape. Griffin's touch was terrible at WAFL level and Hannath's was consistently outplayed be WAFL level ruckman. Clearly, the match committee thought a banged up Clarke offered more than either of the two ruckman playing at WAFL level. A full preseason is needed for Griffin to return to the player he was pre injury.

I totally disagree with your comment about Hannath or Griffin being in good shape. Griffin's touch was terrible at WAFL level and Hannath's was consistently outplayed be WAFL level ruckman. Clearly, the match committee thought a banged up Clarke offered more than either of the two ruckman playing at WAFL level. A full preseason is needed for Griffin to return to the player he was pre injury.
So you are saying that a guy that we just re-signed for two years would have contributed less for Freo than a guy who is lazy,soft, on one leg and with broken ribs. Maybe Hannath should be the one we delist so Simpson can stay on the list.

So you are saying that a guy that we just re-signed for two years would have contributed less for Freo than a guy who is lazy,soft, on one leg and with broken ribs. Maybe Hannath should be the one we delist so Simpson can stay on the list.
He should of been. He is not an AFL quality footballer.

Lets be totally honest here . The team was in no shape to go on after the Sydney game .We had used up everything we had to get there and then some .
The team was not going to progress past Port and we were in no shape to beat Hawthorn with the number of players injured after the Sydney game .
Hannath and Griffin were not injured and TBH I would have played Hannath before Griffin just so that he got a taste of finals footy and then he would understand how much more he has to do to improve to play at the business end of the season .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be totally honest here . The team was in no shape to go on after the Sydney game .We had used up everything we had to get there and then some .
The team was not going to progress past Port and we were in no shape to beat Hawthorn with the number of players injured after the Sydney game .
Hannath and Griffin were not injured and TBH I would have played Hannath before Griffin just so that he got a taste of finals footy and then he would understand how much more he has to do to improve to play at the business end of the season .
He should of been. He is not an AFL quality footballer.

I normally agree with the decisions made by Freo since Bondy has been in control, but after watching more than half of Peel's games I was mystified by the decision to re-sign Hannath for two years. He gets out-jumped regularly by WAFL ruckman and is painfully slow. If we had kicked straight in the first half against Port the game would have been over at hal;f time. I dont think we had used up everything, like you have said Coulda.

I can confirm Mick Barlow is still in a moon boot. A friend spotted him over East, even got a photo with him and she said he was wearing one.

I can confirm Mick Barlow is still in a moon boot. A friend spotted him over East, even got a photo with him and she said he was wearing one.

Someone on here suggested it was a broken bone in his foot. Club has stated that both he & Mora should be right for preseason.

Someone on here suggested it was a broken bone in his foot. Club has stated that both he & Mora should be right for preseason.

Yeah, I'm not worried. Half the team are probably still in slings, moon boots etc. Barlow did hurt his foot in the Sydney game if I am not mistaken.

I normally agree with the decisions made by Freo since Bondy has been in control, but after watching more than half of Peel's games I was mystified by the decision to re-sign Hannath for two years. He gets out-jumped regularly by WAFL ruckman and is painfully slow. If we had kicked straight in the first half against Port the game would have been over at hal;f time. I dont think we had used up everything, like you have said Coulda.
Mcpharlin calf
Johnson back
Barlow foot
Balla jaw
Clarke ribs and knee
Silvagni calf
The team we would have patched up would not have been able to compete with Hawthorn end of story .

I don't usually disagree with what other write on this board but in my opinion anyone that plays with a bad rib especially a ruckman can not be called soft. I disagree he lazy, he is just not a forward, but soft is a big call.

Last edited:
I don't usually do not disagree with what other write on this board but in my opinion anyone that plays with a bad rib especially a ruckman can not be called soft. I disagree he lazy, he is just not a forward, but soft is a big call.
We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO Clarke lacks intensity and refuses to exert any physical pressure on the contest. If an opposition player(of any size) wants to out body him, they simply do it. I haven't seen a mature ruckman get pushed off the contest more easily than Clarke except the game in the finals where Blitslav played first ruck for Geelong. At least Blitslav had the gumption to improve his performance in the second half. Happy to be proven wrong by Clarke at any time, it is in the clubs best interests if that occurs. But don't be surprised if Leuenberger gets offered a big contract by Freo next year as a restricted free agent.

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO Clarke lacks intensity and refuses to exert any physical pressure on the contest. If an opposition player(of any size) wants to out body him, they simply do it. I haven't seen a mature ruckman get pushed off the contest more easily than Clarke except the game in the finals where Blitslav played first ruck for Geelong. At least Blitslav had the gumption to improve his performance in the second half. Happy to be proven wrong by Clarke at any time, it is in the clubs best interests if that occurs. But don't be surprised if Leuenberger gets offered a big contract by Freo next year as a restricted free agent.

He once was very skinny and was pushed around, now it is more of a case of he looks like Tarzan but not playing like it (notice how I changed this old quote for political correctness - even us over 50's can learn). I see glimpses of him holding his own but then he switches back to being easily pushed around and lacking in intensity.

His injuries sound very significant (especially for a ruckman who is vunerable to the hits) and can't be discounted as at least part of the reason. IMO he is our second best ruckman, so I hope he gets well quickly and shows the early season form.

Don't mind having a crack at Leuenberger at all but perhaps it would be a case of another injury prone player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back