Injury Injuries 2015 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's not fit, Mayne should sit this one out. I can see why he'd be reluctant to though. If Crozier comes in and plays a blinder it's going to be damn hard to win a starting 22 spot back.

I believe that is exactly what played out last year when Chopper played against Sydney at the SCG. The game Josh spat the dummy over.
Mayne definitely carried an injury into that match.
I reckon if Josh had gone to the airport, he would have played; Most likely at the expense of Mayne.

I believe that is exactly what played out last year when Chopper played against Sydney at the SCG. The game Josh spat the dummy over.
Mayne definitely carried an injury into that match.
I reckon if Josh had gone to the airport, he would have played; Most likely at the expense of Mayne.

Of all the "could have beens" that was a big one. I agree with you, I think Mayne had to play through because the reserve wasn't on the plane.

It could have cost us more than we know.

Of all the "could have beens" that was a big one. I agree with you, I think Mayne had to play through because the reserve wasn't on the plane.

It could have cost us more than we know.

That's not my recollection. RTB stated afterwards, a couple of times, that Mayne convinced him he was fit enough. The inference was that Ross would not have played Mayne if he had his time again. We had another emergency in Sydney at the time. It was on Mayne that he pushed himself through when he shouldn't have.

It's a pet hate when players do that and coaches go along with it even though I understand why.

That's not my recollection. RTB stated afterwards, a couple of times, that Mayne convinced him he was fit enough. The inference was that Ross would not have played Mayne if he had his time again. We had another emergency in Sydney at the time. It was on Mayne that he pushed himself through when he shouldn't have.

It's a pet hate when players do that and coaches go along with it even though I understand why.

It should motivate the sports scientists to get better at their measuring so that they will know when the player is wrong.

It should motivate the sports scientists to get better at their measuring so that they will know when the player is wrong.

You can't measure how a player bends the truth. They need to be more honest. Having said that, there would be very few players who have ever taken the field feeling 100%.

Someone had to be doing the jabbing.
Inconceivable the medical staff were not aware.

It's naive to think every ailment needs a jab.
Im sure they were aware of an issue but to what extent would be heard to determine if the player isn't being overly truthful.

You can't measure how a player bends the truth. They need to be more honest. Having said that, there would be very few players who have ever taken the field feeling 100%.

One day they will have a scan that picks up all the niggles, no hiding from the physio then. That's what I was getting at.

It's naive to think every ailment needs a jab.
Im sure they were aware of an issue but to what extent would be heard to determine if the player isn't being overly truthful.

I don't know about naive.
He couldn't kick and could barely run. It was bloody embarrassing; no, pathetic.
It looked like he had no sensation in his right leg.

One day they will have a scan that picks up all the niggles, no hiding from the physio then. That's what I was getting at.
It will be good when the run the star-trek style medical tricorders over a player and can tell the coach exactly what condition each player is in.

It will be good when the run the star-trek style medical tricorders over a player and can tell the coach exactly what condition each player is in.

Ha ha. That would help.

The problem is, in borderline cases, is that it's not just a physiological thing but, also, the emotional/psychological aspect of a injury which is incredibly hard to gage.

One person (not just athlete) can have a strain of sorts and be in such a place that it doesn't impede required actions and the person might feel only slight discomfort, another could have the same thing and barely move because of how pain receptors are picking it up and the brain processing it. That's the problem, we're dealing with human beings here not machines. Given the brutality of AFL and, as somebody said, the fact that players rarely would go out not feeling 'something' - it is a hard thing to get right even with the most accurate physiological information.

In borderline cases, it takes extreme discipline and self awareness to know when to play and when to do the brave thing and sit out (or in the case of a coach when to sit a player down). Even the best players/coaches get this one wrong and fairly often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's ok, Doc Allikat says that Walters may be OK. He was looking good walking around after 1/4 time and may have been subbed off precautionarily (is that a word?), and will be monitored by the club during the week. Pav should get a week off. It was a big hit, and after having a few concussions last year, Freo may decide to bench their captain and give him a week to recover. In: Crozier

Don't know where to put this:

injury front: RTB said Walters was pretty good after the game, more confident on him
Pav might be carrying a compound effect from his hit from the swans game
Backs had to run around on the field longer due to pav and walters injuries, have to watch for possible soft tissue front.

other freo things were discussed

Don't know where to put this:

injury front: RTB said Walters was pretty good after the game, more confident on him
Pav might be carrying a compound effect from his hit from the swans game
Backs had to run around on the field longer due to pav and walters injuries, have to watch for possible soft tissue front.

other freo things were discussed

Yeah it has been a worry that Pav has copped a few knocks to the head. For a guy with a young family weighing up his future, knocks to the head aren't going to inspire confidence in the family.

****. Apeness is out for twelve weeks with a knee injury. :(
It's s**t news for him,but i didn't see him getting in the side anytime soon. He should use this time off to study the best power forwards in the league and see how they go about it.

I wonder if it's the same knee he had reconstructed? Please don't be. We can't afford to have another first round draft pick fail.

I agree - it's a setback for Apeness and his development, but to be honest his pre-season and year to date meant he wasn't going to get a spot in the AFL team unless it was a dire emergency. Come back fitter and stronger, my lad...

Perhaps, in the right circumstances, it might now be the hour of the Mammoth?

INJURY LIST - UPDATED TUESDAY 5 MAY

Player - Injury - Duration
Michael Walters - Concussion - Test
Matthew Pavlich - Concussion - Test
Zac Dawson - Groin -1 week
Alex Silvagni - Hamstring - 10-12 weeks
Michael Apeness - Knee - 10-12 weeks
Anthony Morabito - Knee - TBA

He was too busy thinking about Kelly's sack. Didn't mention Mitch Clark's foot if I remember correctly.

I hope you mean 'concerned about the condition of Kelly's sack'! Either way, I'd ask you to show more respect for an incident that raised a cold sweat in every Australian male!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back