Injury Injuries 2015 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how I feel about Johnno coming back straight into a massive game against WC from a long lay off with a serious hammy injury. He runs himself in to the ground at the best of times. Coming off limited game style training might mean he'll struggle a bit.

I'm with you, but Jason Webber will be all over it. When he comes back, he'll be cherry ripe.

I'm with you, but Jason Webber will be all over it. When he comes back, he'll be cherry ripe.
I do wonder if we've had any extra training loading lately or what programs the conditioning staff have the players on as we start to build up to finals. Surely they've been plotting something all year.

I do wonder if we've had any extra training loading lately or what programs the conditioning staff have the players on as we start to build up to finals. Surely they've been plotting something all year.

I think Webber has been very good since Harvs left. I know that Harvs used to override Webber, and I reckon now RTB lets Webber do his job, and the results are better because of that.

I think Webber has been very good since Harvs left. I know that Harvs used to override Webber, and I reckon now RTB lets Webber do his job, and the results are better because of that.
Yeah, he'd be one of the cobblers. We're probably lucky that he didn't walk before RTB came along.

Not sure how I feel about Johnno coming back straight into a massive game against WC from a long lay off with a serious hammy injury. He runs himself in to the ground at the best of times. Coming off limited game style training might mean he'll struggle a bit.

I imagine that they are putting him through a very robust and rigorous conditioning program to get him cherry right. That being said, nothing can 100% simulate match conditions.

Yep Fyfe confirmed on the sidelines vs. Giants...

"Nathan Fyfe will miss Sunday's clash with Greater Western Sydney to rest his corked quad.
Fyfe has been battling the injury since he a controversial clash with Sam Mitchell in Freo's round 15 loss to Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium in Launceston."

source: http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-07-28/fyfe-out-for-giants-clash

PS. future matches vs Hawks will be up a level...

Last edited:
Official word is a lingering cork but I thought I heard someone from the Club mention that Fyfe had picked up a groin issue in addition to the corked thigh during the last couple of weeks? Did anyone else recollect that?

Official word is a lingering cork but I thought I heard someone from the Club mention that Fyfe had picked up a groin issue in addition to the corked thigh during the last couple of weeks? Did anyone else recollect that?

Nope

Absolutely did, Lyon said it a week ago when he was getting scans. Said we scan for colds, but it in the same sentence as he mentioned cork he said groin too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely did, Lyon said it a week ago when he was getting scans. Said we scan for colds, but it in the same sentence as he mentioned cork he said groin too.
And he was getting rubbed down a lot on the boundary in the vicinity. I wonder therefore whether it's a bit more than a cork.

It's a good time to rest Fyfe, we should be able to cover him for the next two games and get him right by the Derby. Reduces the risk of a longer stint on the sidelines, and it's an opportunity to bring someone in to be battle ready for a run into the finals. Not like we can really replace Fyfe, but good teams make do, and still win. It's a chance to be unpredictable.

"Controversial clash" my ass - Mitchell should have been suspended for that disgraceful knee after he'd done it to Tex Walker, the s**t he's gotten away with is ridiculous.

There's one thing I've learned since Ross came to us, never, ever believe what he says to the media, particularly about injuries. He either has no idea or he tells blatant lies.

Was thinking the other day that RTB is very old school when it comes to talking about injuries - basically he sees it as a tactical disadvantage to tell the truth about injuries and so does that rather annoying thing of playing dumb. He's not the only coach to do it, but he's certainly one of them.

Especially this time of year - the classic response to injury related questions from the media includes the line "everybody is carrying something this time of year" to vaguely insinuate something isn't right without stating it outright. You quickly lose count how often you hear it from around July through September.

Was thinking the other day that RTB is very old school when it comes to talking about injuries - basically he sees it as a tactical disadvantage to tell the truth about injuries and so does that rather annoying thing of playing dumb. He's not the only coach to do it, but he's certainly one of them.

Especially this time of year - the classic response to injury related questions from the media includes the line "everybody is carrying something this time of year" to vaguely insinuate something isn't right without stating it outright. You quickly lose count how often you hear it from around July through September.
I prefer Ross's version of not telling us, to some other coaches who tell too much & overstate injuries. Wouldn't mind a nice happy middle ground though

Good to see Tanner Smith not listed as injured. Did he end up coming back on after his injury on the weekend?

So what is up with Fyfe. Media says battling a cork; AFL site lists him as out due to groin.

So what is up with Fyfe. Media says battling a cork; AFL site lists him as out due to groin.

My guess is groin. The AFL site go on what is submitted by the club. Perhaps have a better idea in a week or so. If it's a groin, then less likely to play next week too, if it's just the quad contusion, then more likely to come back in - though we're playing the Saints, who knows. The week after that is the Derby. You'd want him right for that.

'Experts' say it'll be a 2 weeker. Won't travel to play saints

And the worst thing about this is that priddis will probably overtake him in the Brownlow grrrrrrrr

But seriously. Need him right for later in the year. Especially for WC game as that one will be a cracker and need our best team on the park

Will hopefully mean weller can stay in if he has a good game

Still think danyle Pearce may come out for Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back