Injury Injury thread 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Early in January we'll find out a lot about which players are healthy and which aren't. As opposed to the pre-Christmas training, a player not being there for the start of 2016 training wont be because we're giving him an extra long rest, it'll be because he's returning from injury, injured or coming back from surgery.

It's actually a pretty important time of the year.

I won't reproduce my full team here (it's in the other thread), but the only player that would come out of my side to accommodate Hill would be Butler. Jetta would push to the HBF and Hill into the forward line.

I prefer Jetta and Cripps' speed causing damage in the forward line. Hill is unlucky and would be a walk up start in the team if not for our depth.

Given the way the game is played today, most players will play between the arcs anyway making traditional positions almost meaningless other than for KPP.

Hill kicked 8 less goals then those two combined last year.
Goals win games not speed.
Whatever the plan is for Jetta. I doubt it was to replace Hill.

Would have to agree, but Hill would have to be nervous about his spot.

He wouldn't want to have his form to become an issue

I don't have Jetta replacing Hill in the team. Redden into the midfield and McGovern into the forward line pushes Hill out.

Cripps was better than Hill last year (though both great) and Jetta was average at best in a team not known for high scoring (and topped Hill in almost all areas apart from goals). We all expect a 2012 Jetta next year and that Jetta is way better than Hill. I still give Jetta first crack over Hill.

I don't have Jetta replacing Hill in the team. Redden into the midfield and McGovern into the forward line pushes Hill out.

Cripps was better than Hill last year (though both great) and Jetta was average at best in a team not known for high scoring (and topped Hill in almost all areas apart from goals). We all expect a 2012 Jetta next year and that Jetta is way better than Hill. I still give Jetta first crack over Hill.

Don't justify Jetta's performance last year with stats. Jetta was absolute tripe. No heart. Effort went downhill in the finals when his team needed him most and he sat and watched on as his good mate Goodes kicked his last goal in footy. I don't care if he averaged more disposals than Hill, he's meant to. He plays on the ball, it's his

Hill kicked a bag and won us a game against a top placed Freo, won a medal for BOG in the process and helped us to secure second spot going into the finals.

Jetta can sulk on the wing for all i care and if Hill isn't completely out of form he has to play forward pocket. He was kicking goals out of mid air FFS.

Don't justify Jetta's performance last year with stats. Jetta was absolute tripe. No heart. Effort went downhill in the finals when his team needed him most and he sat and watched on as his good mate Goodes kicked his last goal in footy. I don't care if he averaged more disposals than Hill, he's meant to. He plays on the ball, it's his

Hill kicked a bag and won us a game against a top placed Freo, won a medal for BOG in the process and helped us to secure second spot going into the finals.

Jetta can sulk on the wing for all i care and if Hill isn't completely out of form he has to play forward pocket. He was kicking goals out of mid air FFS.

Suggest you read what I wrote again. Being generous, Jetta was average at best. You said he was tripe. Fine. He had a terrible season. He was in a team that he didn't want to be in and now he's where he wants to be. A change of team and attitude should see him improve immensely over last season.

Here's also hoping we get a 2015 Hill for the next season, and not a 2014 Hill. Pea-heart, downhill efforts aren't only in Jetta's realm.

Suggest you read what I wrote again. Being generous, Jetta was average at best. You said he was tripe. Fine. He had a terrible season. He was in a team that he didn't want to be in and now he's where he wants to be. A change of team and attitude should see him improve immensely over last season.

Here's also hoping we get a 2015 Hill for the next season, and not a 2014 Hill. Pea-heart, downhill efforts aren't only in Jetta's realm.
That last paragraph we can definitely agree on.
Personally hate seeing guys with talent like Jetta flake so bad. Hill showed alot more than Jetta last year.
If we get 2012 Jetta and 2015 Hill I'll be pretty happy.

That last paragraph we can definitely agree on.
Personally hate seeing guys with talent like Jetta flake so bad. Hill showed alot more than Jetta last year.
If we get 2012 Jetta and 2015 Hill I'll be pretty happy.

Amen to that. Lots of competition this coming season in the squad. Let's hope it's a case of steel sharpens steel.

My best 22 forward line is:

HF Lecras McGovern Jetta
F Darling Kennedy Cripps

I Sheed Lycett Ellis Duggan

No space for Hill. Lots of quality competition this year. Hill would be first into the forward line on injury/loss of form.
So one of our top goalscorers doesn't even get a spot in the 22 because apparently a guy who plays on a wing can play out of position to fill his role?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Cripps but he had his fair share of stinkers too and probably didn't have as many influential moments/plays as Hill on review. Looking forward to him taking the next step to consistency ala Shep this year.

Cripps was easily in our best 5-10 players last season until that campaigner Silvagni broke his jaw. He seemed to fade a bit after that. Probably wouldn't have a highlight reel like Hill's but his defensive pressure played a huge part in our success.

Cripps was easily in our best 5-10 players last season until that campaigner Silvagni broke his jaw. He seemed to fade a bit after that. Probably wouldn't have a highlight reel like Hill's but his defensive pressure played a huge part in our success.
I think Cripps easily secured his spot in our B22 last year. He was a bit inconsistent at times, especially against some of the better teams but overall I'd have him close to being in the top 10 still. I don't think his form suffered that much after the broken jaw - he was pretty good the following two games. I'd have him ahead of Hill currently but think both deserve a spot for the moment based on last year's form. As you say, it's what he does other than scoring that makes him valuable but he still knows where the goals are when we need him to. Not sure we will need him to kick any more in 2016 with all our other firepower in the team but I am sure he'll improve even further this year. Think he is another one of our quiet achievers, getting the job done week in week out. Am interested if they have him pinch hitting as a mid next year more as well - haven't heard/seen much about how is looking in pre-season.

One of Hill, Duggan, Masten or Sheed miss out. Unless we play Jetta or Duggan or Yeo in defence - then they can all play.
Given there will basically always be an injury to someone in the best 22 it is kind of pointless making these statements.

Given there will basically always be an injury to someone in the best 22 it is kind of pointless making these statements.

If you view it as a discussion about who is in our best 22, it isn't. If there are no injuries for round 1 to starting mids and small forwards then it's a decision the match committee will have to make. If you think Hill is best 22, then you don't think Masten or Duggan is.

Agree there are often injuries and that Hill would be at worst our 23-25th best player.

If you view it as a discussion about who is in our best 22, it isn't. If there are no injuries for round 1 to starting mids and small forwards then it's a decision the match committee will have to make. If you think Hill is best 22, then you don't think Masten or Duggan is.

Agree there are often injuries and that Hill would be at worst our 23-25th best player.
Considering this discussion is in the injuries thread and not the best 22 thread im guessing the view needs to be there are injuries

Since he is an addition to the squad, let Redden recover and push for the second half of the season. Its not like he is a loss from last year.

Since he is an addition to the squad, let Redden recover and push for the second half of the season. Its not like he is a loss from last year.

Is it just me or did it feel like our medical staff may have turned the corner towards the latter part of last year? Like they appeared to be a bit more conservative with returns, managing players and more willing to play depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back