Injury Injury Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this should be in the vent thread but WTF is going on with stakes. Sign him on 2 years and now he is injured. Injured fare enough but the lack of info from the club shits me.
Not sure what you want to know. He has a calf injury, and they take some time to heal. No one knows how long.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-27/the-injury-ladder

The Lions top the injury ladder with an average of 703 games' experience missing each week, explaining some of the brutal losses coach Justin Leppitsch has endured in his first season.

Important players Daniel Rich, Matthew Leuenberger, Pearce Hanley and Tom Rockliff have all missed games at stages, with the total of 67 games missed for the team ranked No.3 across the League.

At least we are on the top of one ladder.......right? :confused:

Hey look, that cloud has a weird silver lining around it...

Of course it does - the silver lining is the extra experience the kids are getting that they would not have received were all those experience players not injured. ok so it is a kind of a small silver lining

Of course it does - the silver lining is the extra experience the kids are getting that they would not have received were all those experience players not injured. ok so it is a kind of a small silver lining

Small, greyish silver.

Ash McGrath (Calf) - 1 week
Daniel Rich (Knee) - Season
Brent Staker (Calf) - 6-7 weeks
Patrick Wearden (Ankle) - 6-7 weeks
Matthew Leuenberger (knee) - 6-7 weeks
Luke McGuane (knee) - Season

Ash McGrath (Calf) - 1 week
Daniel Rich (Knee) - Season
Brent Staker (Calf) - 6-7 weeks
Patrick Wearden (Ankle) - 6-7 weeks
Matthew Leuenberger (knee) - 6-7 weeks
Luke McGuane (knee) - Season

Feel sorry for Wearden. He was showing some good form in the neafl towards the end of last year and then he get's injured under our new coach in a year we could certainly use defenders. It's sad that he might not be at our club come years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuenberger at 8 weeks after he was previously listed as 6-7 weeks, and before that was meant to get back around round 14-16 IIRC. This guy is an incredibly slow healer. He's only really had three or four injuries in his career, so in that sense isn't injury prone, but they all have costed him seasons.

Ruck is a hard position, more so playing at the Gabba every 2nd week. We've always had durability issues with rucks. I do agree that despite his injuries, i don't consider him injury prone. One of his big lay offs was because of an infection. He isn't prone to having the same injury happening over and over, which is what i consider injury prone. Unfortunately, he never sets any records for returning to action.

You wouldn't dare trade him, out team just operates better with him there, even if it's for only half a season. Plus you just know the moment you trade him he won't have another injury for the rest of his career. You have to compare him to others in his position, and his injury lay offs aren't anything that over and above probably the average.

I do think it is in our best interest to find a good enough 2nd ruck, someone who can do a 60/40 split with him in ruck time to help prolong his career though. Having constant large lay offs doesn't help him get right up to peak fitness or form either. Full back to back seasons would have him as one of the better players in the league i think. I also think his ability forward has really developed over the past couple of years, to the point where i think we can do that 60/40 split in the ruck, and he would be able to provide a target and kick a goal a game playing from a forward post. At the very least the ability to throw a tall physical ruckman down there helps to throw off defensive match ups anyway. Really hope he can get back, play the last 6 or so games of the season and finish strongly, take that momentum into preseason and have a career best year next year.

Considering it was in the forward pocket near the player's race I'd say no, but nonetheless, the Gabba has claimed another ruckman.:mad:

Leuenberger's was at the Adelaide Oval as well, so no centre square issues this year. Just horrid luck.

I was down at Coorparoo for my son's Juniors game (went down to a good Redlands side sadly) and Stakes and Leuy were running circuits (one of the younger blokes as well I sadly didn't recognise).

I was goal umpiring down the clubhouse end in my Lions member's cap and a very stuffed looking Stakes walks past hands on hips and says "g'day".

"Can't wait to have you back Stakes!" I replied.

As he kept on the circuit a very weary "It's a hard road mate." emanated from the big man.

Geez, how many times has that bloke fought his way back into condition for us and the Eagles. Heart as big as a race horse.

I was down at Coorparoo for my son's Juniors game (went down to a good Redlands side sadly) and Stakes and Leuy were running circuits (one of the younger blokes as well I sadly didn't recognise).

I was goal umpiring down the clubhouse end in my Lions member's cap and a very stuffed looking Stakes walks past hands on hips and says "g'day".

"Can't wait to have you back Stakes!" I replied.

As he kept on the circuit a very weary "It's a hard road mate." emanated from the big man.

Geez, how many times has that bloke fought his way back into condition for us and the Eagles. Heart as big as a race horse.

Great post Dave, Stakes' dedication is amazing, and when you reflect back to that goal against Essendon, it doesn't go unnoticed by his team mates.

I have great respect for these types of fellows.

Has done it tough the last few years. He enjoyed a pretty good run with injuries for the first half of his career. Has been unlucky the past few years, especially now with his weird calf injury thing. He really does add a lot to the team, structure wise he is invaluable, and he gives us another target that can take a good mark. Has a great ability to kick a goal as well. We've struggled to get many goals from our talls this year, with Close and Paine struggling a bit. Staker would have been great as that 3rd option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back