scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Good write up, and agree with just about everything, nice to hear Wellsy go into bat for Harper, one thing i found interesting was that when Jack was asked who had really impressed him on the field this year, he could only come up with LMac, and Gibbo, i agree with both, but you would hope we would have more to hang our hat on at this stage of the season, after asking a few questions about Wood, Harper, and Turner, to a certain assistant coach, who shall remain nameless, the answers received would come as no surprise to any our posters, Wood needs to work on his defensive game, Harps is playing as an inside mid to try and get his form back, and Kayne is an exciting prospect for next year. Injuries have cruelled our depth, making wholesale changes difficult for most positions.
There is no way you would pay $85 to attend this event, $16 for a couple of stubbies, no coach or captain, or other members of leadership group in attendance, as far as the food goes i thought the pork belly snacks were sensational and havent seen them get a mention yet

Yeah because our forwards are all kicking goals and applying so much forward pressure.... :rolleyes:

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
thanks for the report.... i would love an explanation of why the coach and captain didn't attend an official members gathering that the club invited us too.
Could not believe Brad didn't show [and]... two years in a row the captain hasn't fronted now.
...no coach or captain, or other members of leadership group in attendance...

AND

Colby was a good host, played the member's rep role well constantly reminding players not to give clichéd responses.

COINCIDENCE?!

But seriously, having heard Spitta talk at these in Perth, you're better off. He's one of the most boring, clichéd, "flat bat" speakers we have. Very little of interest or entertainment value to be had. And whilst I've generally enjoyed Brad's comments, he doesn't give much away in such forums imo, not to mention the clichéd Brad-isms we've been hearing of late in response to our inconsistent form.

tl;dr? I don't think you missed anything.

BigRightFoot

Debutant
Aug 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Colorado Rockies
My review:

The decor: posters of Boomer, Gibson, and Wells. One out of three was there. C+

The seats: Not enough. Strained hammy by the end of the night. Trainers says 2 weeks. C-.

The MC: Colbert was sporting the 'I'm going to unbutton the top two or three buttons of my shirt and look hip yet professional look.' To be honest, I was under-whelmed and slightly put off. Not by the shirt thing. But he seemed completely unprepared. It didn't help that JB showed up late. But when Atley and Hansen showed up, Colbert had a go at Atley's hometown. Mostly good natured but silly. Then he asked Lachie if he'd played 100 games yet and brought up his number three draft pick status. Sheesh. Has anyone ever seen Colbert and Jack Reacher in the same room? I didn't think so. Also got the JB interview off to a rocky start by pointing out that some people were critical of the move to play games in Hobart. Maybe I'm being too critical myself. But the vibe he put out was kind of the vibe right now...slightly mean-spirited and crazy eyes drunk. making it up on the fly.

The management and coaches: Love Donald McDonald. Does a great job. Takes time to talk to everyone. Same with Crocker. Will make an excellent caretaker coach if we drop two or three in a row and miss finals. But seriously, well spoken and total club man. JB showed up late, entered the room from the outside and left the same way. What I mean by that is that he didn't pass through the crowd to glad hand and say hey hello to anyone. I can see that on the way in, when you're late and you need to get to the podium. I can't see it on the way out. You tell these members how important are and then you piss off out the back door. But who knows. I know people have lives outside of work. He also pointed out, to his credit, that North hasn't won a final during his Presidency and it's not good enough. Honest self-assessment and really should be congratulated on putting all the pieces in place for on-filed success. B-

The players: I didn't do a lot of chatting this year. Did go up to speak to Lindsay and Wells briefly. Wished Daniel a speedier recovery and told LT I admire how he plays. I love both those guys. And LT really is impressive when he talks about the programs to help kids and other indigenous players. He's come a long way from being painfully shy. A natural leader and genuinely passionate. Ziebell seemed subdued, which makes sense given the last few weeks. Lachie was showing off his biceps to the old biddes. Always good value...and really has filled out. He's a solid unit. B+

The food: I found the pork too fatty. And I was bitterly disappointed at the lack of mini-burgers this year. Bitterly disappointed. The lack of intensity and effort was just not good enough from the wait staff, although the prawns were delicious. The chicken mini burger was a poor use of the substitute entre. Never again. And the booze was off the charts average. D

All up, the night was remarkably similar to our season: dispirited, ebbed and flowed, some nice moments, but a general inattentiveness...and a sense that no one is really looking after the details at the moment.

I say that, and the club hit 40,000 members yesterday and we're sixth on the ladder. That's awesome. If only there were mini-burgers to celebrate. Also, LT mentioned playing well the last five weeks of the season. My mate leaned over to me and said, "I wish he'd said the last ten weeks of the season.' Not sure the level of expectation in the playing group...or with the coaches. That's probably a problem.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Funny the different ways we see things.

The MC: Colbert was sporting the 'I'm going to unbutton the top two or three buttons of my shirt and look hip yet professional look.' To be honest, I was under-whelmed and slightly put off. Not by the shirt thing. But he seemed completely unprepared. It didn't help that JB showed up late. But when Atley and Hansen showed up, Colbert had a go at Atley's hometown. Mostly good natured but silly. Then he asked Lachie if he'd played 100 games yet and brought up his number three draft pick status. Sheesh. Has anyone ever seen Colbert and Jack Reacher in the same room? I didn't think so. Also got the JB interview off to a rocky start by pointing out that some people were critical of the move to play games in Hobart. Maybe I'm being too critical myself. But the vibe he put out was kind of the vibe right now...slightly mean-spirited and crazy eyes drunk. making it up on the fly.

Agree on the shirt. Looked like he was trying for the Ricky Martin look.

The Atley hometown thing was a joke between country boys.

The Lachie thing was funny! He was like a typical North supporter quizzing about the hundred games then pretending to write down "ok Ryder Hansen" as if he was keeping a log of father-son prospects. Joel Crocker got mentioned in the same exchange.

The Hobart thing was well phrased I thought. Rather than kiss JB's backside Colby prefaced it with "not everyone may be a fan of it" partly to give JB right of reply.

BigRightFoot

Debutant
Aug 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Colorado Rockies
Yeah those are all fair points. I guess I was just disgruntled myself and looking to find fault. I'm sure he doesn't get paid much (or anything) for it. And it's hard to control a crowd in a room like that. But the shirt. The shirt.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was it explained why Scott and Swallow were no-shows?

Was Geoff Walsh there? I don't think i've heard him mentioned yet either.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah those are all fair points. I guess I was just disgruntled myself and looking to find fault. I'm sure he doesn't get paid much (or anything) for it. And it's hard to control a crowd in a room like that. But the shirt. The shirt.

Yeh it looked pretty crap.

Bonus note: hands up who didn't notice the woman dressed (or not dressed) up for more than a bog standard north function?... I swear there were old blokes just about walking smack into walls as a result.

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
Agreed. LT spoke well.

Wellsy was also there and he mentioned that today was the first time he had trained with main group for a while. Good to hear.

This is the first time that I can recall the senior coach missing from one of these functions. Make of it what you will. :stern look

The Finger Food was substandard with the Little Burgers the pick of the bunch.

Dress Code at this event is now non existent. May as well rock up nude next time bar wearing a set of strap on ****. :stern look

Sounds like the late 90's mid 2000's days of Aylett, Duff ,Aylett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Yeh it looked pretty crap.

Bonus note: hands up who didn't notice the woman dressed (or not dressed) up for more than a bog standard north function?... I swear there were old blokes just about walking smack into walls as a result.

Pics or GTFO.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I missed last year's event being OS, and on the basis of the previous two I had been to decided to stay away this year as well. Sound like I didn't miss much.

I've found that these events have become really lack lustre and almost a token gesture to the supporters. Disappointing.

Going back 10 years this event was a can't miss. They used to have a breakfast event that was even better. A couple of hundred people, really intimate. Now it's a flat event, $8 beers and * all players. AND NO COACH!! * me.

The club has hit 40k in members. We really need to lift our game if we want to have 40k next year.

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
I have asked the club via twitter why captain and coach was a no show... so i'll wait and see if i get a response, usually they respond.

I have asked the club via twitter why captain and coach was a no show... so i'll wait and see if i get a response, usually they respond.

Don't forget that they've recently lost their social media guy.

The seats: Not enough. Strained hammy by the end of the night. Trainers says 2 weeks. C-.

Using the Garner Scale of prognosis translation - see you next season BRF.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've found that these events have become really lack lustre and almost a token gesture to the supporters. Disappointing.

Going back 10 years this event was a can't miss. They used to have a breakfast event that was even better. A couple of hundred people, really intimate. Now it's a flat event, $8 beers and **** all players. AND NO COACH!! **** me.
I missed it this time around (sick) but have been to a few in the past. It may be the case that it's time for a change of format.

The best events I've been to were player sponsor events - breakfast with the players and training at Arden Street. Awesome stuff. The inner scrotum ones are usually 'ok' but really depends on who turns up, and the quality of the interviews. It can be a bit awkward if players are not that approachable, and you can feel like a bit of a dick asking stupid or common questions. Loved the interview with Stan Alves a few years ago, you can tell he still has an affinity with the club (even if not obvious when commentating).

I can understand some criticism on JB, but to be fair he's a busy guy and has a family of four (?) children to get home to. Perhaps it's a case of either you're 100% committed or you're not part of the program... I'd be saying that message needs to be clear to the playing group.

Back