Unofficial Preview Pies vs Essendon (thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malthouse did and I don't see why Bucks shouldn't do it. We need a debutant and it should be Moore.
They will pick the best 22 subject to form, availability & match ups.
Sunday's VFL game will be of interest (who plays well), Reid?
Bucks doesn't consider sentiment with team selection.

In - Adams Witts Moore (s)
Out - Gault White PK (s)

White - should have done more last night. Three marks & 7 hit-outs isn't the output on which you secure senior selection. Needs to give himself an upper-cut and missing out on the biggest game of the year via a VFL stint should carry sufficient sting.

Gault - out on team selection balance.

PK - not on ANZAC day. Moore or PK? You know the answer to this one...

Witts - will treble Whites hit outs, take more marks and typically kicks one goal when resting forward. Also should present a more scrutinised forward selection / match-up problem for Hird.
Match fitness my only concern hence my sub choice.

Adams - more midfield pack grind and grunt. He's give his all as usual.

Moore (s) - Let him absorb the atmosphere from the bench then release him later in the game to replace Witts. Would be a graduated introduction and allow him to focus for a shorter period and get a taste for the big stage.

In - Adams Witts Moore (s)
Out - Gault White PK (s)

White - should have done more last night. Three marks & 7 hit-outs isn't the output on which you secure senior selection. Needs to give himself an upper-cut and missing out on the biggest game of the year via a VFL stint should carry sufficient sting.

Gault - out on team selection balance.

PK - not on ANZAC day. Moore or PK? You know the answer to this one...

Witts - will treble Whites hit outs, take more marks and typically kicks one goal when resting forward. Also should present a more scrutinised forward selection / match-up problem for Hird.
Match fitness my only concern hence my sub choice.

Adams - more midfield pack grind and grunt. He's give his all as usual.

Moore (s) - Let him absorb the atmosphere from the bench then release him later in the game to replace Witts. Would be a graduated introduction and allow him to focus for a shorter period and get a taste for the big stage.
Interesting, so you would have Cloke one out against one of the better defence's in the AFL

Mine
Out Williams
In Adams

Interesting, so you would have Cloke one out against one of the better defence's in the AFL

Mine
Out Williams
In Adams

Noted and considered but from a talls perspective I still believe Witts around the square and Cloke pushing up as a combination will prove more effective than Whites low game output.
Goldsack as 3rd defensive tall forward and Elliott's natural potency who's spring plays tall have me comfortable enough.

Just a couple of things. Bucks has said that he wants Reid to have a couple of weeks at VFL level before he gets brought in, so I doubt he'd be in the mix next week. I wouldn't drop Gault unless Witts is available to come in as Gault is far more effective in the Ruck than White. It is also worth noting that Cloke after the match on Fox commented on Corey's presence helped Cloke to be able to play his game as well as he did. And thirdly, you may need to factor in the Brown may have some doubt on him. After the match they commented that he was having some hamstring tightness when he was subbed out. Hopefully they were just being precautionary and he'll be right to play, but given the Pies cautiousness with injuries this year, he may be in doubt.

I'd love to see Moore & De Goey come in this week maybe for PK & Toovey, but to be truthful it's hard to find anyone worthy of being dropped after last night's performance.

Wouldn't change too much, guess we need to go for the horses for courses these next few weeks whilst we haven't got our A grade side.

Some good ins last night and did the job.

Would love to see Moore debut but think a little to early, maybe the Carlton game if he keeps knocking.

Karnesis did okay for limited time.

Any luck it will be a wet day to make it suit us and we can field the same team with maybe one or two changes if necessary, if Adams fit he is in and if wet maybe Gault is out.

Other options could be Marsh in for Goldsack and Witts in to join Grundy as he will have heavy legs from last night and we can push the Bomber defence with a resting ruck maybe. With Hurley in career from he will go to Cloke maybe would like to see Grundy/Witts out of the square, Cloke up the ground and White and Karnesis providing options. Elliot, Blair and Swan will give handy service inside 50 too.

Our defence will need to be tight as they have plenty of options, so looking for Brown to step up and Frost to go to Daniher. Think Carlisle will be forward to extend our defence will be big games for Goldsack, Toovey and Langdon. Might be too early for Reid to come in unless he rips it up in the 2nds.

Don't think we can drop Dwyer after his performance, to be honest he should always be in unles form drops off.

Looks like Broomhead is coming along nicely and gaining confidence each game, he will be a future star for us keep him in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a 6 day break between the VFL game and Anzac day, I think we almost have to pick the 25 today and tomorrow and rest some players during the VFL tomorrow (son't play them full games).

Hard to see Reid coming in off a six day break considering he needs to play 100% of a VFL game to prove his fitness, might be the same with Freeman too.

Witts, Fasolo, Moore and Adams would be the four in contention to come in I reckon.

I'd be ok with Witts and Adams in for White and Williams/Goldsack.

I like having a more dangerous forward line, with three talls and even Patty getting a full game, he's so deadly when you get him the ball inside 50.

I know it'll be too many and we need games into those out but I also know this, Ramsay, Goldsack, Gault, Oxely, Frost, Brown, Seedsman, Karnezis, lot will eventually make room for this lot, Reid, Adams, Sidebottom, Greenwood, Moore, Scharenberg, Kennedy, Degoey, Witts and maybe Marsh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Difficult to make too many changes when you have won by 12 goals,
But Adams will come in, perhaps Reid if he goes well again in tithe vfl tomorrow

Despite it being a good win, we did have a few passengers.

Toovey's game was the worst kicking performance I've ever seen. Yes, he is solid and usually beats his man, but those turnovers are truly atrocious for a player at this level and arguably cost us more than if he were to simply be beaten by his man. I don't think he should be dropped, but he would want to improve next week or the Bombers will make us pay.

White was missing for most of the night. Horrible in the ruck and totally absent up forward. If Moore had shown his good form up forward instead of back, I'd swap them. But White holds his spot by the skin of his teeth...

Gault struggled but is worth persisting with in the long run I think. He only makes way if Witts is totally ready to go and run out a full match.

Goldsack was again very poor. Doesn't seem 100% right because usually his poor games at least have good pressure... But even that is missing at the moment. Bucks won't drop him because pressure will be imperative against the Dons... But he is another on borrowed time if he doesn't turn things around.

Anyway, enough about people who were crap but will hold their spot.

OUT: Williams
IN: Adams

I'd keep White and Gault in for another week as essendon are using Daniher as second ruck so they can match up on him. Gives us one more week, hopefully in the dry, to evaluate Gault. Witts can come in the next week for the worse of the two of them.

Feel like Brown is marking time until Reid takes his place but don't think this week will be the week.

In: Adams
Out: Karnezis or maybe Toovey if they are bold.

Think in coming weeks we will see Reid for Brown and once he is settled pressure will be on Goldsack from Moore or Marsh and Toovey struggle if Ramsey and Oxley continue to develop.

The difficult part will be who makes way for Sidebottom and Greenwood when they are ready. Broomy and Crisp showed a lot for me last night.

And we still have De Goey and Freeman waiting in the wings.... With Scharenberg later in the year..... We might struggle at times this year but we will be exciting also.

I'm genuinely surprised to see calls to move away from the 3 tall forward structure. Gault and White weren't overly effective, but their presence meant that Dempster and Fisher weren't able to sag off and create the plus one on Cloke.

Yes we had an incredibly high I50 count, however the number of one on one's that structure presented Cloke was a big player in his performance. Not only that it allowed Elliott to have a beneficial match up and provide us that extra dynamic option up forward.

For mine you keep changes to a minimum after a result like that so at this stage I'd be going:

In: Adams
Out: PK

The only reason it isn't Seedsman (who I thought was pretty bog average) is because keeping PK in the line up probably leaves him as sub two weeks in a row. The sub with this line up is Dwyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back