Unofficial Preview Pies vs Essendon (thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The slow starts against Adelaide and St.Kilda have been one area of concern for the club that needs to be addressed but one thing going our way however is that Essendon have struggled to finish off games. Even though they miraculously beat the Hawks in round 2 they looked off the pace in the final quarter and look at how they went against the Swans and then the Blues today in the final quarter. I think if we stick with them for three quarters on the idea that we're behind them for most of the match then I think we can overrun them in the final quarter but of course we need to make a fast start next week. Last year's ANZAC Day match was a classic example of our slow starts but thankfully we made a huge comeback and won in the end.

This is a massive match and we'll be underdogs but I'd love to see the boys pull off a huge win! It would lift the club across the board and could do wonders for us heading into the rest of the season! I'm really looking forward to seeing if the boys can back themselves up after an impressive performance last night albeit against weak opposition. Even if we fall short in the end I just want to see plenty of effort from this young team.

If Adams is fit and ready to go he'll definitely be an inclusion into the side as our best in and under player these days. Our VFL match tomorrow against North Ballarat should tell us more about whether any other players will be in consideration this week such as Reid, De Goey, Freeman or even Moore for that matter.

Regardless of the changes, I think the Bombers will win this one quiet easily and around the margin they beat us last time, 30-50 point

Their squad is clearly ahead of ours with stars and also experience and this is a big game with a lot of pressure they should have no problem at all :( :(

I just hope the boys have a crack and give it their all and I will be happy.

Regardless of the changes, I think the Bombers will win this one quiet easily and around the margin they beat us last time, 30-50 point

Their squad is clearly ahead of ours with stars and also experience and this is a big game with a lot of pressure they should have no problem at all :( :(

I just hope the boys have a crack and give it their all and I will be happy.

Sorry mate but that is total BS.

So if Moore or Freeman absolutely kill it in the VFL do they push for a debut?
If so, who would each come in for?

Possible changes
Out: Gault
In: Witts

Out: Brown (if sore)
In: Reid

Would love to see PK get a good run at it.
Did look out of place once or twice but will take time to get use to the pace of AFL again.
Hope he stays in!

My team would be:

Out :gault goldsack williams
In :witts adams reid

Toovey. Brown. Frost

Langdon. Reid. Oxley

Varcoe. Swan. Crisp

Karnezis. Cloke broomhead

Witts. White. Elliot

Foll: Grundy pendles adams

Inter: Dwyer Blair seedsman
Sub Ramsey

Gault is unlucky but witts can play forward and another big body in ruck will be great. Although I wouldn't care if gault plays ahead of gault.

I don't think karnezis will play because bucks won't drop goldsack, even though he should. Goldsack had 1 tackle & 11 touches. Patty should play ahead of him

Williams also won't be dropped but I think reid needs to come in.

Likely change will be

In Adams
Out karnezis

Gault was very very timid, he stood off waiting for teammates to get the ball even though it was his ball, couldn't keep his feet, didn't really attack the packs.
PK should be given a go as third tall, couldn't be worse than Gault at the moment
Gault needs to find some mongrel in the 2s.
Absolutely no idea who Adams replaces.

Why as supporters do we expect a young KPF like Gault to play menacing football ala Jonathan Brown, or kick bags of goals ala Buddy.

The kids only played 2-3 games so let's give him a break to find his feet. Sure if his form doesn't warrant selection then back to the magoos but let's not jump all over him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only change will be Adams. They won't bring anyone in off a 6 day break especially when we had such a convincing win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes this, Crispo and Varcoe nearly 20 tackles combined.
We are getting some grunt back with this and Adams, Grundy and Williams too.
We have lacked this for a few years and great to see us punish players when the opportunity presents.

We seem to have found our spark with intensity again, I just hope the Adelaide game was due to fatigue from the Brisbane game. Time will tell as we look so much better with the pressure.

Not fatigue, it is pressure that this team is allergic too.

This happened through the nab cup games too. No pressure and we play brilliantly (Saints, Box Hill) and against the pressure sides (Adelaide, Bulldogs) we kind of get rattled.

Not a serious issue as I believe it is just experience. When it does happen though, like first 15 minutes of St Kilda, we learn to plug it up much quicker. We're on the right track though I believe.

Not fatigue, it is pressure that this team is allergic too.

This happened through the nab cup games too. No pressure and we play brilliantly (Saints, Box Hill) and against the pressure sides (Adelaide, Bulldogs) we kind of get rattled.

Not a serious issue as I believe it is just experience. When it does happen though, like first 15 minutes of St Kilda, we learn to plug it up much quicker. We're on the right track though I believe.

Combination of injuries, youth, the Crows being the best side we've played so far, coming of an interstate games in extreme humidity. At the end of the day we ran out the Adelaide game well.

Why is everyone so keen to see PK out of the team?!!! No!!

The guy needs to start.... He is a goal kicker.

He does, however, need to improve his defensive running and pressure.

Having said that, this kid will kick his 1-2 goals a game and put on in the chest of Cloke or white 2-3 times a game. He is a lovely kick and knows how to find ball and kick the cheap ones - something we are missing. He played one quarter and had 7-8 touches and kicked a goal. Not bad for 30 mins of football.

The guy needs to start.... He is a goal kicker.

He does, however, need to improve his defensive running and pressure.

Having said that, this kid will kick his 1-2 goals a game and put on in the chest of Cloke or white 2-3 times a game. He is a lovely kick and knows how to find ball and kick the cheap ones - something we are missing. He played one quarter and had 7-8 touches and kicked a goal. Not bad for 30 mins of football.

Its just a matter of finding room for him. With only one ruckman in the side I'd prefer Gault as a second backup to Grundy. The other player to go out could be Goldsack but dropping him for PK would be a double blow in the "defensive running and pressure" you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back