inside 50's

Remove this Banner Ad

But even worse is once the ball goes deep into our defence, we don't have the call users to bring it out dangerously so we end up conceding multiple I50s
Accurate. Our clearance numbers are actually excellent - our midfielders are doing well at winning the ball, but when it comes to then spreading it and moving it and setting up structurally to create passages to goal, we're seriously falling down. And there's only so many times you can lose the ball in your back half and win it back before you concede.

WRT playing the corridor more, we simply don't have the foot skills. Several of our kicks miss there target, and those that 'hit' are often high and loopy or kicked to a stagnant player. You'll rarely if ever see a flat kick from an MFC player that breaks lines and is marked on the other end, allowing the ball to move quickly while the opposition are still on the back foot. So our only passage to goal is to constantly play it safe around the perimeter of the ground, chip it short, and eventually crumble under pressure (though it's easier to then reset defensively than it would be if we lost the ball in the corridor).

Accurate. Our clearance numbers are actually excellent - our midfielders are doing well at winning the ball, but when it comes to then spreading it and moving it and setting up structurally to create passages to goal, we're seriously falling down. And there's only so many times you can lose the ball in your back half and win it back before you concede.

WRT playing the corridor more, we simply don't have the foot skills. Several of our kicks miss there target, and those that 'hit' are often high and loopy or kicked to a stagnant player. You'll rarely if ever see a flat kick from an MFC player that breaks lines and is marked on the other end, allowing the ball to move quickly while the opposition are still on the back foot. So our only passage to goal is to constantly play it safe around the perimeter of the ground, chip it short, and eventually crumble under pressure (though it's easier to then reset defensively than it would be if we lost the ball in the corridor).

Lynden Dunn an Colin Garland can occasionally hit the 55m diagonal pass that shifts a zone but we don't have anyone who can break it down the middle

Our blokes are too scared to hit the flat pass into the corridor because if you turn it over your asking to concede going the other way

With respect to the Bulldogs I hope we take it on, aside from Murphy they don't have really elite kicks either so hopefully we can take some chances

The second part to it, is we just don't have very good ball users coming out of defense and into the middle. Salem will develop into a weapon here, but he'll need another few helpers who can spear 50 metre passes that hurt the opposition from the backline, in order that we get a few good runs through the middle.

Grimes, M Jones, Toumpas, Frost, Howe, Bail and Lumumba have all had roles running from defense this year, and they are turnover merchants of the highest order.

In fact I'd say Lumumba and Howe are the only genuine AFL footballers amongst them - but their strengths are certainly not being damaging kickers.

We need Brodie Smith, Laughlin Whitfield and Harley Bennell.
I agree to a point, but i think what is missing from that analysis is, you can have bloody Aaron Davey kicking out of halfback but if your forward line is also on halfback, most likely there will be a turnover from a risky kick to either no one or a contest.

One part of the game that was most apparent to me (and has been for about 8 years with the exception of maybe one year) is that we are supremely unfit and do not/can not work anywhere NEAR as hard or as fast as the better teams to do spread and provide an option up the ground. Watch Freo, watch Hawks. They're spread is lightning and they do it pretty much the whole game. It is much easier to spot up an option, even when you are a Bail-level kick, when there are team mates in space. We NEVER have teammates in space. That is the problem.

I agree to a point, but i think what is missing from that analysis is, you can have bloody Aaron Davey kicking out of halfback but if your forward line is also on halfback, most likely there will be a turnover from a risky kick to either no one or a contest.

One part of the game that was most apparent to me (and has been for about 8 years with the exception of maybe one year) is that we are supremely unfit and do not/can not work anywhere NEAR as hard or as fast as the better teams to do spread and provide an option up the ground. Watch Freo, watch Hawks. They're spread is lightning and they do it pretty much the whole game. It is much easier to spot up an option, even when you are a Bail-level kick, when there are team mates in space. We NEVER have teammates in space. That is the problem.

Yeh I totally agree on the spread. We don't do it well at all - hence the need for a couple of hard running wingman/back flankers who have laser boots.

The reason our forwards push up so high, is because of our inability to penetrate deep enough with our run and quality kicking.

It must be pretty demoralising to run so hard to space, and have Jack Grimes slowly loop a 40 metre pass that lets 3 opposition make it to spoil - and that's when you're lucky enough that he's even hit the target.

Last edited:

Saying our blokes, or ANY blokes aren't "fit" to AFL standards is bullshit IMO.

Look at the difference between Port this year and last. Do you really think their training dropped off from last year or that everyone else's has improved that much? Highly doubtful. The only thing differentiating the two is TICKER. Freo, Hawks, Port(last year) BELIEVED that the hard gut running would bring them success. It's all upstairs. Port didn't go from 22 Lance Armstrongs to BMX bandits with one preseason, their belief is the only thing that has changed.

Our blokes are pea hearts of the highest order. They don't WANT to run to that next contest, chase and lay that tackle, they've been conditioned to expect their effort won't be rewarded. These blokes all get payed to be able to run from here to Sunday and back again, and they CAN, its the WILL to do it which is killing us. Until this basic fundamental change happens in the players psyche, you could hire Burgess+Russell/Merriman etc etc till the end of time, we will continue to be the "least fit" team in the AFL.

Yeh I totally agree on the spread. We don't do it well at all - hence the need for a couple of hard running wingman/back flankers who have laser boots.

The reason our forwards push up so high, is because of our inability to penetrate deep enough with our run and quality kicking.

It must be pretty demoralising to run so hard to space, and have Jack Grimes slowly loop a 40 metre pass that lets 3 opposition make it to spoil - and that's when you're lucky enough that he's even hit the target.
It's not about having a couple of hard runners, or a couple of laser boots. Or both. Surely it's about the whole team working bloody hard.

It's been about work rate with this team for years.

Look at the difference between Port this year and last. Do you really think their training dropped off from last year or that everyone else's has improved that much? Highly doubtful. The only thing differentiating the two is TICKER. Freo, Hawks, Port(last year) BELIEVED that the hard gut running would bring them success. It's all upstairs. Port didn't go from 22 Lance Armstrongs to BMX bandits with one preseason, their belief is the only thing that has changed.

Our blokes are pea hearts of the highest order. They don't WANT to run to that next contest, chase and lay that tackle, they've been conditioned to expect their effort won't be rewarded. These blokes all get payed to be able to run from here to Sunday and back again, and they CAN, its the WILL to do it which is killing us. Until this basic fundamental change happens in the players psyche, you could hire Burgess+Russell/Merriman etc etc till the end of time, we will continue to be the "least fit" team in the AFL.
Yeah, completely agree. Once you get to that elite level, there simply isn't that much difference in physical fitness; especially taken across a whole team.

What there is a huge difference in is confidence and belief and ergo will and effort, both individually and as a collective.

I think its pretty clear we aren't anywhere near as fit or fast as the better sides. That was my point
Being 'fit' means being able to go 110% for the whole game or close to it and executing skills as good at the end of the game as you do at the start. Not trailing off. We simply aren't near that. Yes, we may be 'fit' in the sense we have players that can run laps all day at pace or whatever other metric you want to use, but as far as it counting in terms of footy, we just aren't near it

Good to see we won the inside 50's against the dogs 53-51, with good forwards as well taking 17 marks inside 50 compared to the dogs 9, Hogan having 5 of them.

Good to see we won the inside 50's against the dogs 53-51, with good forwards as well taking 17 marks inside 50 compared to the dogs 9, Hogan having 5 of them.
Particularly considering we were down 10-1 and 21-9 at one stage, it was good to come back like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hitting targets by foot from half back was a massive improvement this week.

I even saw Grimes hit a 40m left footer - and it wasn't even a sideways pass!
Grimes might be more reliable on his left tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back