Instrumentals...

Remove this Banner Ad

Taste is debatable.

Yes. I have no taste, either.

Also, no shirt, no shoes, and no service.

Woe is me.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway......here's a fine Scottish band that myself and a few other tasteless souls out there happen to think are alright.......

Mogwai - "Punk Rock"

[youtube]iOJRSpi0GOQ[/youtube]

Mogwai - "Friend Of The Night"

[youtube]K_NrZCZwlhc[/youtube]

One more for the evening......

Not only a good song (love the guitar that comes in at 4.30), but it has the added bonus of a clip that is entirely made up of scenes from the absolutely mind-fcukingly brilliant film, Koyaanisqatsi. The clips that they've used have been cut and pasted to fit perfectly with the music. Top work all around.

Explosions In The Sky - "Birth And Death Of The Day"

[youtube]ltQqPJ5A2BI[/youtube]

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
I could go anywhere here, but I have a strange allegiance to stax....

[youtube]ar-Z_l907DY&feature=related[/youtube]

Nice, love Booker T's Green Onions and all that Stax label stuff. Isaac Hayes etc...Theres a good DVD out titled "Wattstax" with the Staple Singers, Albert King, Rufus Thomas doin the "Funky Chicken" with hilarious results trying to contain the crowd. Richard Pryor talks some funny s**t also.

This band remind me a bit of BookerT & The MG's, possibly with the same go-go dancers, just a little more of a surf flavour....

Davie Allan & The Arrows Moondawg 65..

[YOUTUBE]2klXTkxWyQg[/YOUTUBE]

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
Yes. I have no taste, either.

Also, no shirt, no shoes, and no service.

Woe is me.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway......here's a fine Scottish band that myself and a few other tasteless souls out there happen to think are alright.......

Mogwai - "Punk Rock"

AaaekggKrweethenuuouu! Thye Ig taketh ova! :thumbsu: That guy was stumped on his own show :)

Mogwai - "Friend Of The Night"

Interesting sounds from a band i havent heard much of...so much music to listen to, so much time....impressive list. I know of and like the Dirty 3 and Man Or Astroman?. Look forward to listening to more of what i'm not familiar with.

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
One more for the evening......

Not only a good song (love the guitar that comes in at 4.30), but it has the added bonus of a clip that is entirely made up of scenes from the absolutely mind-fcukingly brilliant film, Koyaanisqatsi. The clips that they've used have been cut and pasted to fit perfectly with the music. Top work all around.

Explosions In The Sky - "Birth And Death Of The Day"

[youtube]ltQqPJ5A2BI[/youtube]

Yes some amazing footage there. I like it when it's done right.
The Blue Grassy Knoll putting their music to Buster Keaton films. Genius. As many You Tubers have done, i rate this A for Awesome...

Blue Grassy Knoll- play "Buster Keaton's Sherlock JR"

[YOUTUBE]bqPzxHLM3jc[/YOUTUBE]

Interesting sounds from a band i havent heard much of...so much music to listen to, so much time....impressive list. I know of and like the Dirty 3 and Man Or Astroman?. Look forward to listening to more of what i'm not familiar with.

Cheers, man. Am greatly enjoying the (vastly different style of) songs you are posting, too. Keep up the good work.

Here's another nice one.....

The teaming of Papa M (aka Aerial M aka Pajo aka plain old David Pajo, brilliant guitarist from such innovative, ground-breaking acts as Slint, The For Carnation, Tortoise, Royal Trux), and some found sound from The Simpsons.

This is exquisite.

Papa M - "Krusty"

[youtube]m3yrt3fcTfg[/youtube]

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
Here's another nice one.....

The teaming of Papa M (aka Aerial M aka Pajo aka plain old David Pajo, brilliant guitarist from such innovative, ground-breaking acts as Slint, The For Carnation, Tortoise, Royal Trux), and some found sound from The Simpsons.

This is exquisite.

Papa M - "Krusty"

Like the raw, close crispy guitar vinyl sound :thumbsu:

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
The Hoodoo Gurus have a track titled "Spaghetti Western" on their B-Sides compilation some years back. Complete with galloping horses, indian wooping, gunshots and a killer drumbeat.

On the western and some instruments i dont know the name of- Ennio Morricone and Serge Leone teamed up for some atmospheric pearler instrumentals...

A Fistful Of Dollars...

[YOUTUBE]ituX3QPQUkM[/YOUTUBE]

A Few Dollars More...

[YOUTUBE]yI1_QqKt_hM[/YOUTUBE]

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

[YOUTUBE]GIXqSsd37uQ[/YOUTUBE]

Once Upon A Time In The West has Charlie Bronson playing harmonica and some very tuneful whistling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
The Cruel Sea were a good live band in Australia during the early-mid 1990's, had a few commercial hits too with "Black Stick" and "The Honeymoon Is Over".

"Pluckin" is my favourite tune of theirs. These tracks are'nt bad either...

Cruel Sea-"4"...

[YOUTUBE]JOKZM9iRLr4[/YOUTUBE]

Cruel Sea-Seems Twice...

[YOUTUBE]1zUj-29yg6o[/YOUTUBE]

Like the raw, close crispy guitar vinyl sound :thumbsu:

As do I.

Btw, forget to mention....props on the Blue Grassy Knoll/Keaton stuff.

Loved it when they first started this project. Still love it now.

The Cruel Sea were a good live band in Australia during the early-mid 1990's, had a few commercial hits too with "Black Stick" and "The Honeymoon Is Over".

"Pluckin" is my favourite tune of theirs. These tracks are'nt bad either...

The Cruel Sea actually began life as an (exclusively) instrumental act. I'm mates with the bass player, "Big" Barry Turnbull, who was in their initial line-up. (Baz is a gun. Has played with a whole shitload of fine acts....Tex Perkins, The Jackson Code, The Widdershins, Love Me, The Small Knives....to name but a few.)

I have to say, as much as I like Tex, they were a better band sans vocals, IMO.

Oct 5, 2004
Caught somewhere in time
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Diamond Valley SC, MVFC, Leeds Utd
Bathory : "Oden's Ride over Nordland" from "Blood Fire Death"

51CGRT8FSKL._AA240_.jpg

Manowar : "Black Arrows" from "Hail to England"

ManowarHailtoengland.jpg

Manowar : "Achilles, Agony, and Ecstasy ( In Eight parts )" : Refer to Part III FUNERAL MARCH, and PART IV ARMOR OF THE GODS from "Triumph of Steel"

manowar07.jpg

All classic instrumentals.

Sep 18, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jeff Beck plays a couple of brilliant instrumentals with a hot band (including Tal Wilkenfeld, a young Aussie girl on Fender bass) at the 2007 Crossroads festival. Stevie Wonder's 'Cause we've ended as lovers' (which is on youtube and the Concert DVD) and John Lennon's 'A day in the life' (which is only on youtube).

What Beck can do with a Fender Stratocaster (no electronic boxes/gadgets I'm told) and a tin of talc is amazing.

Completely agree with you there Mr. R! That entire dvd, particularly Becks' set (although always a Clapton man myself!), is amazingly. Love his version of A Day in the Life.

Here's an unusual one (i think) for you all. Hopefully this counts, not really any words to it..
Bob Dylan - Wigwam (from Self Portrait)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lINmhpik_CI&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lINmhpik_CI&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
Surf and chickens.....a match made in Heaven.

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - "Run Chicken Run"

Indeed, the colonel would be proud.
Southern Culture On The Skids also do a respectable version on the Link Wray tune.

Speaking of which, Mr.Wray only recently left this earth, outliving Elvis, Johnny Cash etc. and with only one lung through a bout of TB advised not to sing, came out with some blistering vocal's on tracks "Good Rockin Tonight" and "Just That Kind". Wray covered "Howlin Wolf" and equalled Chester Burnett's growl.

Link Wray has literally hundreds of tunes, mostly instrumental. Word has it that one of them "Rumble" was banned in the 1950's. An instrumental, banned?

Link Wray-Rumble...(from 1978- 20 years after the original release- so cool)

[YOUTUBE]LUHz0i8_ziA[/YOUTUBE]

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
The Cruel Sea actually began life as an (exclusively) instrumental act. I'm mates with the bass player, "Big" Barry Turnbull, who was in their initial line-up. (Baz is a gun. Has played with a whole shitload of fine acts....Tex Perkins, The Jackson Code, The Widdershins, Love Me, The Small Knives....to name but a few.)

I have to say, as much as I like Tex, they were a better band sans vocals, IMO.

Agree with you on that. I saw them live a couple times and enjoyed the band more without the vocals. I still like the songs and was/am impressed with the balance Tex Perkins had with The Beast's Of Bourbon and the Cruel Sea.

I think the band got thier name from a Ventures tune. They covered a lot of surf-instrumentals, the live clip of "Wipeout" sounds great. The Sandy Nelson type drums roll along beautifully...

Ventures-Wipeout...

[youtube]T8__EwAT8VM[/youtube]

Indeed, the colonel would be proud.
Southern Culture On The Skids also do a respectable version on the Link Wray tune.

No s**t ? Haven't heard that. Must seek it out.

Southern Culture On The Skids rock.

As does the sadly missed Wray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back