Interchange to blame for horror injury toll.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
While I haven't access to statistics that shows the direct effect of interchange to the growing injury toll, its obvious that the biggest rule change in recent years has been the interchange rule. In complete lockstep, it has coincided with the game being played flat out for longer because of the interchange and players being stressed continually to keep going as rested players come on and keep driving the efforts of tired players.

There is no attrition that allows the play to slow down as bodies get tired. The pace is being driven by players resting and continually playing with sudden bursts.

If AFL clubs are concerned about the toll on their players, then they should stand up to the AFL and demand natural attrition of the game be allowed, instead of artificially creating a manic atmosphere on the field which is ruining careers and creating a shocking injury toll.

AFL 360 said they were out of ideas of why the injury toll is so bad in recent years. DUH!!!! While not the brightest sparks, surely they can see the interchange is the catalyst for the rise in serious injury, that has happened in complete lockstep with the interchange.

Rourke

Watching the Numbers
Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not sure whether you believe more or fewer interchanges, or more or fewer bench players, would 'solve' this? There is a wide range of views here even among the sports scientists

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I'm not sure whether you believe more or fewer interchanges, or more or fewer bench players, would 'solve' this? There is a wide range of views here even among the sports scientists
Less interchanges. Sports scientists are parasites on the carcass of injured footy players.

Back