Interest in SANFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It's such a weak argument. Sam Russell is probably earning more this year than Steve Summerton. Nathan Krakouer is the same player that he was last year but he'll probably be earning 10 times as much this year as he did last year. Wages =/= ability at SANFL level when the AFL clubs are paying the players who play at SANFL level under completely different rules and for completely different purposes than what the SANFL clubs are playing their players for.

I would prefer the AFL set up a proper reserves league that included Port Adelaide and the crows to be honest, the less my club has to do with the SANFL, the better, and vice-versa too. Mention Port Adelaide to any SANFL official, fan or personality, and they go a bit stir-crazy. The scars of 1990 would heal better if Port and the SANFL clubs weren't interacting every season.

I would prefer the AFL set up a proper reserves league that included Port Adelaide and the crows to be honest, the less my club has to do with the SANFL, the better, and vice-versa too. Mention Port Adelaide to any SANFL official, fan or personality, and they go a bit stir-crazy. The scars of 1990 would heal better if Port and the SANFL clubs weren't interacting every season.

WTF are you doing complaining about it on an SANFL board then. Piss Off no one cares about your sorry arse either!

Port are the SANFL, if Port are kicked out or leave then the SANFL would be on its death knells, many fans would not follow the league and the other clubs would suffer as they rely on Port crowds to help get $$ at the gate

"Port are the SANFL".:cool:

Absolute garbage. The sooner the Power left-overs play elsewhere the better.

Port are the SANFL, if Port are kicked out or leave then the SANFL would be on its death knells, many fans would not follow the league and the other clubs would suffer as they rely on Port crowds to help get $$ at the gate

You would look pretty effing stupid running around playing yourself if you were the SANFL, or doesnt that come into your logic! Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You lot obviously don't get what I mean then.

Port keep the SANFL afloat, or rather kept (no thanks to the SANFL stealing money from us). Go on, kick Port out and see how many clubs fold or merge within 5-10 years. Sturt and West nearly folded last year.

No one will be folding when the SANFL are receiving so many millions from AO then further funding from the AFL. Wait is that because the AFL want the SANFL to be there! Wake up Australia!!!!!!

hahahahaha $16 million reasons how Port kept the SANFL afloat oh sorry that is what the SANFL poured into Port! Come one this is a SANFL board stop giving them s**t!!!!!!!! When your sorry mob almost broke them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's such a weak argument. Sam Russell is probably earning more this year than Steve Summerton. Nathan Krakouer is the same player that he was last year but he'll probably be earning 10 times as much this year as he did last year. Wages =/= ability at SANFL level when the AFL clubs are paying the players who play at SANFL level under completely different rules and for completely different purposes than what the SANFL clubs are playing their players for.

Whilst I agree that the salary of a footballer is not always a good indicator of their ability, it can’t be denied that full-time professional footballers have a distinct advantage over their part-time SANFL counterparts when it comes to the time/resources available to establish a fitness and strength base, recover from matches, rehab from injuries etc. When the likes of Russell are altitude training in Dubai, a SANFL footballer might be building a retaining wall or selling insurance. It’s hard to take a sporting comp too seriously when 20% of its competitors are preparing under vastly different conditions to the rest. Would you like this to so blatantly occur in the AFL? Doubt it. We’ve all seen the uproar about the Swan’s COLA.

Anyway this debate has been done to death. Port supporters have their views, the majority of SANFL club supporters have a differing one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has your interest in the SANFL increased or subsided in the last 12 months with the inclusion of PORT POWER and ADELAIDE CROWS reserves?

Based on interest in this Thread or Board for that matter.. I'd say thats a NO. :oops:

why is it that Central Districts appear in eleven Grand Finals in a row between 2000-2011, winning nine of them and raking in a shitload of pokie money, which in turn is used to recruit Victorians (meanwhile their junior teams languish near the bottom all this time), nobody bats an eyelid

Port Adelaide Magpies become an AFL reserves team, just like how it is in other state leagues: VFL, WAFL, NEAFL, and everyone loses their minds? last season wasn't the two horse race between Port and Crows many predicted.

it's a minor league, it's a second tier competition, not an alternative to the AFL

VFL has had AFL reserves teams since like 2000, yet independent and historical teams like Port Melbourne and Williamstown are still going strong
1. Centrals played under a salary cap.
2. Centrals recruited players from the same pool (apart from their zones) as that of any other SANFL club.
3. The VFL is a hash up of the VFA, hardly the comparable background of the SANFL.
4. Advocate that the salary cap is removed in the AFL and see how you feel about it then.

My interest is waning, I'm still a season ticket holder at Sturt but the AFL reserve teams idea is a cancer that eats at the very fabric of a proud competition. As long as the "draft" and the "salary cap" is implemented in the AFL to underpin it's very fabric then apparently everything is okay.
What a f***up.

Complaining about the differences in salary cap is like whingeing that the SANFL teams all had the same amount of apples but now Port and the Crows have come into the league and been given too many oranges.

We don't pay Sam Russell or Billy Frampton 50k a year because we think they're equivalent players at SANFL level to James Allan or Zane Kirkwood.

Complaining about the differences in salary cap is like whingeing that the SANFL teams all had the same amount of apples but now Port and the Crows have come into the league and been given too many oranges.

We don't pay Sam Russell or Billy Frampton 50k a year because we think they're equivalent players at SANFL level to James Allan or Zane Kirkwood.
Hardly the point.

Crowds have been doing pretty good without Port achieving anything in the last 10 years. There's many times when opposition supporters would outnumber Port supporters at Alberton.
You lot obviously don't get what I mean then.

Port keep the SANFL afloat, or rather kept (no thanks to the SANFL stealing money from us). Go on, kick Port out and see how many clubs fold or merge within 5-10 years. Sturt and West nearly folded last year.
Port nearly folded numerous times recently but that was obviously the SANFL's fault.......

3. The VFL is a hash up of the VFA, hardly the comparable background of the SANFL.

yes it is, they were founded around the same time, they're both second tier competitions, both have similar attendance numbers, just the VFA/VFL has had dozens of teams come and go over the years, and nobody outside of SA views the SANFL as an alternative to the AFL, and rightly so. AFL reserves teams are a part of state leagues now, deal with it, and there's not going to be a separate AFL reserves comp.

Last edited:
yes it is, they were founded around the same time, they're both second tier competitions, both have similar attendance numbers, just the VFA/VFL has had dozens of teams come and go over the years, and nobody outside of SA views the SANFL as an alternative to the AFL, and rightly so. AFL reserves teams are a part of state leagues now, deal with it, and there's not going to be a separate AFL reserves comp.
Not so sure about that, standalone clubs are faltering her and will continue to, we may be left with AFL reserves only here very soon.

Not so sure about that, standalone clubs are faltering her and will continue to, we may be left with AFL reserves only here very soon.
Port Melbourne and Williamstown are fine, they're strong, historical foundation clubs with good support, they're not going anywhere, just like Norwood and Sturt

It doesn't make it right, which is my point. Williamstown was totally duped in the preliminary final last year with McEvoy(IIRC) being allowed to play against them even though the rules in place stated he couldn't. He was BOG.
If the AFL are so he'll bent on their veil of integrity they might want to consider the same for everyone.

And to compare the VFA to the SANFL pre AFL is stupidity and a desperate attempt to hold an argument.

Still interested! Have seen 2 of the 3 Doggies trial games. The Bays (not a good run for the Bays) and a good solid hitout tonight for the Doggies and the Eagles.

Renewed the membership and will try to get to all the games that don't involve an AFL reserves side. On the weeks where we play an AFL reserves side, I go to the club for tea, so that the club still gets the $ I swould have spent at the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back