Interest in SANFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

renewed the membership on friday i think in time for the game against the eagles. would've been nice if the club had emailed me or not combined my dad with another member under the same name, but that happens every season seemingly. wouldn't be west adelaide without it.

No change. If a traditional SANFL club can't beat an AFL reserves team they don't deserve to be premiers.

I miss not seeing AFL players running around with West though, eg Crouch, Cassisi, Gray.

Concerning start to the season as far as attendances go. The following outlines the average attendances at the same stage of previous seasons (credit to ‘spell-check’ on another website)

2006: 3256 (27 matches, Rd 7)
2007: 3262 (23, Rd 6)
2008: 3672 (28, Rd 7)
2009: 3173 (28, Rd 7)
2010: 3580 (28, Rd 7)
2011: 3639 (23, Rd 6)
2012: 3286 (30, Rd 8)
2013: 3407 (24, Rd 6)
2014: 3357 (25, Rd 6)
2015: 2637 (27, Rd 6)

22% drop on 2014. Crows games are pulling 2173, well short of last year’s figure of 3432 and the magical 4000 predicted. Port home attendances are down 34% on 2014. Novelty has worn off quickly. The league needs do to more to promote itself.

With the Crows openly admitting to having rested key players during the final quarters of some matches and this having hurt their possibilities to win, and with a number of their ‘top up’ players regularly playing two games on a weekend (doubling up for their local club), the Crows pledge to ‘playing to the line’ has been appropriately questioned.

Concerning start to the season as far as attendances go. The following outlines the average attendances at the same stage of previous seasons (credit to ‘spell-check’ on another website)

2006: 3256 (27 matches, Rd 7)
2007: 3262 (23, Rd 6)
2008: 3672 (28, Rd 7)
2009: 3173 (28, Rd 7)
2010: 3580 (28, Rd 7)
2011: 3639 (23, Rd 6)
2012: 3286 (30, Rd 8)
2013: 3407 (24, Rd 6)
2014: 3357 (25, Rd 6)
2015: 2637 (27, Rd 6)

22% drop on 2014. Crows games are pulling 2173, well short of last year’s figure of 3432 and the magical 4000 predicted. Port home attendances are down 34% on 2014. Novelty has worn off quickly. The league needs do to more to promote itself.

With the Crows openly admitting to having rested key players during the final quarters of some matches and this having hurt their possibilities to win, and with a number of their ‘top up’ players regularly playing two games on a weekend (doubling up for their local club), the Crows pledge to ‘playing to the line’ has been appropriately questioned.
Most said this would happen, how the SANFL club presidents and the league couldn't see it or didn't want to see it is baffling. Substantial change is needed before next season before the remaining diehards walk away also. AFL reserves crowds aren't attending, the novelty factor barely lasted a season. Either they kick them out, they don't play for points or they're barred from playing finals, either way the "tinkering" to the model ain't going to change $hit.

Most said this would happen, how the SANFL club presidents and the league couldn't see it or didn't want to see it is baffling. Substantial change is needed before next season before the remaining diehards walk away also. AFL reserves crowds aren't attending, the novelty factor barely lasted a season. Either they kick them out, they don't play for points or they're barred from playing finals, either way the "tinkering" to the model ain't going to change $hit.
Kick them out is the best option, go back to a 8 team comp with a top 4. Everyone plays each other 3 times over a 21 round season, 1 home, 1 away and 1 at AO as a double header. The SANFL needs to be progressive with fixturing ideas, the last couple of years have been terrible. Need to start the season with a bang, I quite like the idea of Round 1 being a carnival at AO over 2 days. Also need to stop bowing to the AFL and mive our GF back to its rightful date

Well the minor round is now complete, so some average H+A attendance figures can be trotted out:

2013- 2624
2014- 2814
2015- 2448 (13% drop on 2014)

All 9 clubs (disregarding the Ravens) saw a fall in home match attendances. The most notable falls were experienced by Norwood, North, South and Port (interestingly the top 3 teams from last season plus predicably this season's wooden spooner).

Ravens crowds fell from 3432 to 2450, a drop of nearly 29%. The highly publicised "4000" figure was achieved just once this season against an SANFL club (WWT). 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs had higher home match averages when hosting fellow SANFL sides when compared to hosting AFL sides.

SANFL chief Parkinson has his head in the sand when he states the league is in good shape and that the inclusion of the AFL sides isn't impacting on attendances and general interest.

Has anyone attended a game this year and guessed the crowd number? I'm a season ticket holder with Sturt, have been for years and most of the time between my mates and I we normally pick the crowd figure pretty well.
This year we're off by 500-800 most games.
I seriously think the SANFL have fudged the numbers up considerably. I think the attendances are even worse than what they're suggesting.
Thoughts?

yes it is, they were founded around the same time, they're both second tier competitions, both have similar attendance numbers, just the VFA/VFL has had dozens of teams come and go over the years, and nobody outside of SA views the SANFL as an alternative to the AFL, and rightly so. AFL reserves teams are a part of state leagues now, deal with it, and there's not going to be a separate AFL reserves comp.
You brought up centrals of 2000-2011. That will never happen in the WAFL. In the WAFL, Theres a points system. You get 100 points. Lose 5 points if you recruit From another teams zone, lose 10 points if you pinch a player from another WAFL club. Lose 20 points if you get an ex- AFL or SANFL or VFL player. This is one reason why WA footy is doing better than SA footy at the moment.

I see the Port fans are happy with the reserves as they really want another SANFL trophy. Had it my way, crows should not be the 10th SANFL team, It should be a team like Modbury or Golden Grove. Let the Power and Crows Choose 5 teams each and each SANFL team hane 8-10 crows/port players on their list. West Coast didn't have a problem when they 1st started as there were only 8 WAFL clubs to choose from. The WAFL demanded You can only pinch a maximum of 6 players from each club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back