Interesting Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Gees the 'Salary Cap' saga killed our proud history. I'm feeling a little sad and reflective now.:(

We'll here's a little something to cheer you up:

We've won 26 games by 100 points or more, the most recent coming against Gold Coast in 2011, when we beat them by 119 points

As Pagan once said regarding a draw "it's like dancing with your sister". I cannot say I ever danced with my sister but draws can leave you with an empty feeling. I'm getting old and the memory is not great but three come to mind. 1972 2nd Semi against at VFL Park against Richmond. In the early eighties I remember a draw at Princes Park against Fitzroy. I'm pretty certain it was the first round and Fitzroy came from a long way back. The last is Stick's miss after the siren circa 1993. I was pretty annoyed that day.

There are more but I need people to help me. No looking in books.:rolleyes:

As Pagan once said regarding a draw "it's like dancing with your sister". I cannot say I ever danced with my sister but draws can leave you with an empty feeling. I'm getting old and the memory is not great but three come to mind. 1972 2nd Semi against at VFL Park against Richmond. In the early eighties I remember a draw at Princes Park against Fitzroy. I'm pretty certain it was the first round and Fitzroy came from a long way back. The last is Stick's miss after the siren circa 1993. I was pretty annoyed that day.

That draw in '72 won us the flag. We couldn't beat Richmond all year, the draw gave us an extra match against them to tweak the tactics. My favourite draw of all time.

There are a couple that we have had against Essendon* in recent years IIRC.

That Fitzroy one was in Round 1, 1982, with Greg Wells' kick on the siren dropping marginally short & Bortolotto punching the ball through for a behind. We let Fitzroy off the hook that day.

That Fitzroy one was in Round 1, 1982, with Greg Wells' kick on the siren dropping marginally short & Bortolotto punching the ball through for a behind. We let Fitzroy off the hook that day.
Is that the match where a gentleman died after being involved in a scuffle at the ground ? I have a recollection it was at an opening round in the early 80s.

Reckon we drew the last game of '76 v Footscray, down at 3qt by a fair margin, utterly peppered the sticks in the last quarter, and couldn't put the Doggies away. By drawing the game Footscray kept Melbourne out of the finals for the first time in yonks.

Was a bizzaro year where we won the first 7, lost the next 5, won the next 9, drew round 22 and bombed out in the 2 finals.

We got very lazy in the mid 70's and won a lot of games on reputation.

Last edited:
Think the bloke's name was Dixon or something like it. Was there with his son. Was there myself but had no idea of the incident till later.
Didn't realise the gentlemen was there with his son. Just makes it more tragic really :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a feeling;)

4 Draws in 22 years. 6 draws between the two teams in history.

I was at 2011. Can't remember if I was there in 2006. I assume I was.

Today felt different to 2011. I was just happy we didn't lose. 2011 meant more because it cost more at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back