Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

The background is that I've just become really lazy over the last 3-4 years and put on 10 kgs. I was about 5 - 8 kgs overweight before that.

I just want to get back to my ideal weight - which is 15 kgs less - and back to healthy habits.

As for training: I was thinking of 30 mins cardio with weights, 5 times per week.

I'm not interested in BCAAs, butter in my coffee, tulsi tea, organic honey before bed, aspartame or other gimmicks that occupy half of this thread. I won't be able to stick to these for long.

Just FYI - BCAA's are just amino acids. You take them to help your body repair whilst not eating (i.e. training in a fasted state). It is exactly as leangains suggest if you have indeed read it. I don't take much notice of all the other crap on this board either with regards to the butter in coffees etc.

I've just heard about many benefits of training fasted. You lose more weight, all the while getting stronger. But, like I've said, I haven't followed IF.

Also with the training: I am researching HIIT, and will move towards that once I am confident that I won't drop dead doing it. I have never been this unfit in my life! I have a bike and rower handy (I live in an apartment complex with a gym) so HIIT will be easy to design.

PS. Sorry about the n00bness of my questions Bazaar and Ablett - just want to get practical feedback from people who have been doing this for a while and have stuck to it.

Just FYI - BCAA's are just amino acids. You take them to help your body repair whilst not eating (i.e. training in a fasted state). It is exactly as leangains suggest if you have indeed read it. I don't take much notice of all the other crap on this board either with regards to the butter in coffees etc.

I've just heard about many benefits of training fasted. You lose more weight, all the while getting stronger. But, like I've said, I haven't followed IF.

Yeah I know - I just don't see myself as the type who will take powders/proteins - at least not yet. I want to keep it simple. I am open to it but remain unconvinced so far

I'm not interested in BCAAs, butter in my coffee, tulsi tea, organic honey before bed, aspartame or other gimmicks that occupy half of this thread. I won't be able to stick to these for long.

16:8 appeals to me as it could conceivably become a permanent life style choice that will be easy to make.

I'm thinking of doing 6 days 16:8 and one 24 hour fast per week at least for the first few months to hasten the weight loss. Then move to permanent 16:8 7 days per week.

As I said, the only inconsistent message in the material is when to work out. I'm leaning towards exercising during my feast period (after work) and having a dinner afterwards. So:
Morning: black coffee (no milk, sugar) and plenty of water
1:00pm: break fast
4-5: meal 2
7-8: gym
8-9: meal 3

On the 24 hour fast I would not exercise at all.

Does this sound good to you guys? I have to say I'm pretty excited to start. After reading Eat Stop Eat, it makes so much sense to me.

Order some BP coffee and MCT oil and include that in your diet for breakfast. You'll drop 5kgs a week. ;)

Being at a club, I have everything designed for me. It's a pretty simple concept IMO and will be easy enough to find something that suits you (after a quick google search).

I think the hardest part is finishing a program and then deciding where to go. At that point, with your goals in mind, I think you will just be looking to maintain fitness. So you could just have a couple of different workouts at a medium intensity.

Order some BP coffee and MCT oil and include that in your diet for breakfast. You'll drop 5kgs a week. ;)
Even better, I've got a tip for losing 5kg's a day, Put a couple of raw, diced chicken fillets out in the sun and eat one piece each hr. ;)

The background is that I've just become really lazy over the last 3-4 years and put on 10 kgs. I was about 5 - 8 kgs overweight before that.

I just want to get back to my ideal weight - which is 15 kgs less - and back to healthy habits.

As for training: I was thinking of 30 mins cardio with weights, 5 times per week.

My tip would be to can all the meticulous tomfoolery and get a juicer. I cleaned up my diet, watched my Kj intake etc and dropped over 20kg's but there reached a point where I just couldn't lose any more but I still wasn't happy with where I was weight wise, I started juicing fruit & veg and lost another 8 kg's in the next month or so. At the end of the day it comes down to eating clean, IMO.

I document losing 15 kilos using a combination 16/8 and 24 hour fasts on page 5 here:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/intermittent-fasting.965961/page-5#post-26778077

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicki I will revisit your advice once I get the basic habits down pat. There was this guy in my office that kept spouting at the mouth about his butter coffee. You can imagine how long he lasted.

Hey Evo, I read that post and your others. The experiences you, FlowersByirene and Bazzar and other have shared in this thread is what makes me so excited. Do you think my plan is legit for starters?
yeah, i think your plan is fine. The beauty of IF is its flexibility. The best gameplan is one you can stick to.

Hey everyone

I'm currently planning a program to lose 15 kgs. This is a priority and I do not want to waste time trying out inefficient methods etc.

I work 9am to 7pm in a highly stressful job that demands all of my attention.

16:8 is very doable in this context (e.g. 12pm - 8pm feast period).

I have the following questions:

- whats the best time to work out? First thing in the morning during a fast or straight after the last meal? Or during the 8 hour feast? (e.g. I could work out at lunchtimes from 1-2, 7.30am - 8.30am or 7:30pm-8.30pm).
- how often should I work out?

If weight loss is your aim then From my experience cardio(HIIT-20 to 30mins is ample for best hormone response ) is best down fasted in the A.M & don't eat for aslong as possible afterwards to prolong fatburning, soon as you eat post cardio you stop burning fat.
First feed should be high protein, 2nd feed high fat moderate protein low carb.
Coffee/caffeine n green tea pre fasted cardio will release fatty acids into the bloodstream to be used for energy when glucose isn't available , L-Leucine right before n right after will help preserve lean muscle mass & stimulate protein synthesis.

Lifting weights in the A.M creates an appetite for me which makes it harder to control food intake for the rest of the day so I find it easier to lift weights in the P.M , fast up until your pre work-out meal , L-Leucine pre n post, solid meal 30-45mins post then bed a few hours later.
If you require breakfast, this is where BP coffee is your friend, then make it only fat n protein, save the carbs for your pre w/o meal where your body will use it for training fuel.
Post w/o meal should be high protein & low carb.

Some moderate cardio would be ideal on your 24hour fast day.

If you are going to do fasted cardio the morning after you've lifted weights the evening prior , then maybe add some sweet potato or white rice to the meal consumed post lifting weights.

There's no reason why you can't train every day alternating between cardio n pumping iron if it fits into your lifestyle , the key is to find the balance of training hard enough to get results without overtraining & prolonging your recovery & hindering your training frequency.

Remember:
Diet is KING
Training is Queen

If weight loss is your aim then From my experience cardio(HIIT-20 to 30mins is ample for best hormone response ) is best down fasted in the A.M & don't eat for aslong as possible afterwards to prolong fatburning, soon as you eat post cardio you stop burning fat.
Coffee/caffeine n green tea pre fasted cardio will release fatty acids into the bloodstream to be used for energy when glucose isn't available , L-Leucine right before n right after will help preserve lean muscle mass & stimulate protein synthesis.

Lifting weights in the A.M creates an appetite for me which makes it harder to control food intake for the rest of the day so I find it easier to lift weights in the P.M , fast up until your pre work-out meal , L-Leucine pre n post, solid meal 30-45mins post then bed a few hours later.
If you require breakfast, this is where BP coffee is your friend, then make it only fat n protein, save the carbs for your pre w/o meal where your body will use it for training fuel.

If you are going to do fasted cardio the morning after you've lifted weights the evening prior , then maybe add some sweet potato or white rice to the meal consumed post lifting weights.

There's no reason why you can't train every day alternating between cardio n pumping iron if it fits into your lifestyle , the key is to find the balance of training hard enough to get results without overtraining & prolonging your recovery & hindering your training frequency.

Remember:
Diet is KING
Training is Queen

IMO, you make it way too complicated for people new to IF. It's just about intermittent periods of not eating. Let people master that first.

Remember:
Diet is KING
Training is Queen

Thanks ablett - I'll give training while fasted a go. Concerns have been expressed with that set up - i.e. workout 7.00am - 8.00am and then break fast at 1.00pm. Leangains says that I should be taking BCAAs before and after workout but I won't be doing that.

7.00-8:00: Gym

Re your advice about caffeine: are you recommending pre workout coffee or post workout?

Thanks ablett - I'll give training while fasted a go. Concerns have been expressed with that set up - i.e. workout 7.00am - 8.00am and then break fast at 1.00pm. Leangains says that I should be taking BCAAs before and after workout but I won't be doing that.

7.00-8:00: Gym

Re your advice about caffeine: are you recommending pre workout coffee or post workout?

Coffee pre workout

I've been doing this for around 2 weeks now. In that time, I've probably fasted for 16 hours on 10 of those days (just wanted to work myself in to it and hard with all the xmas things on at this time of year).

In terms of the actual fasting, it's pretty easy. I'm definitely going to implement this full time in 2014.

A number of you guys have spoken about the importance of BCAAs. What's the best way/product to take these?

Thanks

Hey everyone

I'm currently planning a program to lose 15 kgs. This is a priority and I do not want to waste time trying out inefficient methods etc.

I work 9am to 7pm in a highly stressful job that demands all of my attention.

16:8 is very doable in this context (e.g. 12pm - 8pm feast period).

I have the following questions:

- whats the best time to work out? First thing in the morning during a fast or straight after the last meal? Or during the 8 hour feast? (e.g. I could work out at lunchtimes from 1-2, 7.30am - 8.30am or 7:30pm-8.30pm).
- how often should I work out?

Just nit picking here, avoid calling it feast period, this may sub-consciously lead to over eating while you are trying to lose weight. Just eat 2-3 normal sized meals in the 8 hours.

In further posts you've mentioned inconsistencies with when to work out, eat etc. Lean gain/fasting/IF the whole beauty of it, it should fit your lifestyle. Whether you work 7 am to 7pm, vice versa or only 3 hours a day or you study. You can tailor it to suit your lifestyle.

The basic principles, are not to eat for a larger period of time than eating. Ideally your first meal should be after your work out, if not your largest meal after your biggest work out. BCAA's are vital if you re doing fasted work outs. 3 x "resistance" weight works out a week. Definitely 2-3 fasted HIIT cardio session in the morning.

I've been doing this for around 2 weeks now. In that time, I've probably fasted for 16 hours on 10 of those days (just wanted to work myself in to it and hard with all the xmas things on at this time of year).

In terms of the actual fasting, it's pretty easy. I'm definitely going to implement this full time in 2014.

A number of you guys have spoken about the importance of BCAAs. What's the best way/product to take these?

Thanks

Easiest way, is to buy them in tablet form and you can get them from Chemist Warehouse The pharmaceutical grade from bulk nutrients tastes wank by itself. Any of the flavored BCAA will have calories in them that can disrupt the fasted state of the body.

My trick is i crush up a vitamin C tablet which is quite sweet and mix with the pharmaceutical grade powder and bottoms up.

Hey everyone

Firstly thanks to all the regular posters who've shared their experiences, really helpful and inspiring for those of us starting out.

Like many on this thread I found myself 20-25 kg overweight (96kg, 183cm) from a combination of bad eating (and drinking) over a few years and a compulsory period of zero exertion following a fairly serious head injury. About 6 months ago I started dropping weight with the shangri-la diet and got down to 85 kg about a month and a half ago, at which point I decided to change things up and switch to IF (16/8), which is going really well so far.

Apologies if this has already been asked but I was wondering if its ok to mix 16 and 24 h fasts, i.e. go 16/8 monday-saturday, eating last meal about 8pm saturday, followed by an all-day sunday fast, with next meal around 8pm sunday, followed by resumption of 16/8 schedule on monday. The motivation for this change is just more aggressive fat-loss.

Just wondering because everything I've read so far, including this thread, makes it seem like 16/8 and 24 h fasts are an either/or thing. I could just switch to 24 or 36 h fasts but I like the 16/8 schedule and the extra energy and awareness gains from waiting a few hours before eating :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back