Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett is a fundamentalist, a dash of milk is fine. It is well under the caloric threshold to take you out of the fasted state.
Mosley said you can have up to 50 cals, alternative day fasters say 400-500 cals is the threshold. Im still IFing but i have a morning BP with MCT and butter and it doesnt bother me one bit if in a strict sense im breaking my fast.

I think being to strict on anything just makes life to unpleasant.

These 40-hour fasts get easier every time. I think this is my fifth now. Haven't eaten since Wednesday night. Yesterday was a breeze, today I feel terrific. I'll get home from work by 5pm, have a weight sesh, and a nice big feed. Even thinking about dinner tonight doesn't make me hungry right now.

Of all the good things I've gotten from bigfooty (and there are *loads) this IF business is near the top of the list.

These 40-hour fasts get easier every time. I think this is my fifth now. Haven't eaten since Wednesday night. Yesterday was a breeze, today I feel terrific. I'll get home from work by 5pm, have a weight sesh, and a nice big feed. Even thinking about dinner tonight doesn't make me hungry right now.

Of all the good things I've gotten from bigfooty (and there are ****loads) this IF business is near the top of the list.
You should set your sights on a 4 day fast, they are amazing. My next one is in 2 weeks and this time it will be water only.
My last one whilst strictly not a fast, was 3 cups of BP coffee a day for 4 days, and the night of my first small meal was incredible, i felt like superman.

Of all the good things I've gotten from bigfooty (and there are ****loads) this IF business is near the top of the list.
It's easy, isn't it.

We can look forward to a long, lean life without ever having to "diet". :)

Bazzar I've never actually thought about doing a longer fast than the ~40h ones I've been doing. I remember from reading stuff here and/or on leangains something about 36-40 hours being cool (as far as muscle retention and so forth are concerned) but I haven't done any research on the effects beyond 40 hours. I might have to look into it.

evo You've heard me speak on SRP about trying to aware the masses. I don't begrudge your cynicism of my seemingly-grandiose (or whatever) hopes to raise awareness of things, but I hope you can see that for me it is all part of the same game. The vested interests who keep the drones stupid about poitics are in consort with the vested interests who keep people stupid about nutrition, and so on and so forth.

I was at a wedding last year and had been seated next to a young 'dietician'. I ought to have known better but when somebody asked me about my eating habits I gave them a brief but honest answer. Sure enough, this person wrote me off as a loon. She had spent years 'learning' that breakfast is important, grains are good, fruit is fine for people trying to lose weight, etc. We are teaching people AT UNIVERSITIES to spout this nonsense. It is ******* criminal.

Bazzar I've never actually thought about doing a longer fast than the ~40h ones I've been doing. I remember from reading stuff here and/or on leangains something about 36-40 hours being cool (as far as muscle retention and so forth are concerned) but I haven't done any research on the effects beyond 40 hours. I might have to look into it.

evo You've heard me speak on SRP about trying to aware the masses. I don't begrudge your cynicism of my seemingly-grandiose (or whatever) hopes to raise awareness of things, but I hope you can see that for me it is all part of the same game. The vested interests who keep the drones stupid about poitics are in consort with the vested interests who keep people stupid about nutrition, and so on and so forth.

I was at a wedding last year and had been seated next to a young 'dietician'. I ought to have known better but when somebody asked me about my eating habits I gave them a brief but honest answer. Sure enough, this person wrote me off as a loon. She had spent years 'learning' that breakfast is important, grains are good, fruit is fine for people trying to lose weight, etc. We are teaching people AT UNIVERSITIES to spout this nonsense. It is ******* criminal.

Correct but they are controlled to Spout diet nonsense to keep the medical/pharmaceutical industry wealthy.
It's not in their best interest for everyone to be fit n healthy.
It good to see even a lot of a Doctors are realising now they've been wrong steering people away from saturated fats etc..

I would assume you would lose some muscle gain on a 4 day but it would be so small and temporary it shouldnt matter, its more about a complete internal clean out. Mosley talks about it in "Eat, fast and live longer"

Scales this morning said I was 73.5 kg (@ 180cm). Once I get some water into me I should be about 75 kg.

This is the lightest I have been since I was a teenager. Late 2012 I tipped the scales at ~84 kg. A couple of my lifts have gone down slightly over the past couple of months due to decreased training (holidays and all that) but others have increased. I reckon I'll be back to PBs within a couple of months even while maintaining this weight.

how skinny are you guys?

I eat heaps at the moment but find my weight dropping from 80kg to 76kg (178cm).

If I fasted I feel I might drop to low 70s in no time.

Fasting isn't about eating less , it's about shortening your eating window, i actually eat more now than when I was heavier.
You can fast, put on weight, yet enhance your health if done right.

This is sage advice. As a beginner I am getting the 16:8 down pat first - which is 1 - 9 pm. I am currently exercising after my last meal at 9pm. That is probably not the most optimal time for working out but its a start.

I will gradually work towards exercising in the morning while fasted.

Update. Three weeks into 16:8 now. The first two days I found difficult, since then it has been easy. The first two weeks I lost 2 kg without any additional exercise (my Christmas kgs, put on quick lost quick). Last week I have introduced 30 mins of cardio in the mornings. Have lost another kg.

I find myself with higher concentration in the mornings before I break the fast (this may be placebo from all the stuff I have been reading).
So yes, all going to plan. Will introduce weights and a 6:1 diet soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading in todays paper the top 10 best selling books, Moseleys "Fast diet: How Intermittent Fasting can help" is number 2, and "Fast Exercise: Smart Rout to Health and Fitness" is number 3. $19.99 each.

Looks like it is catching on.

Saw it in Dymocks today actually. His book subscribes to the 500 cal 5:2 (like everyone else). Half of the book is 500 cal recipes

What do you eat?

typical day:

wake up 6am start work from home with a black coffee

get to work and order breakfast - 8.30am - eggs, spinach, mushroom, avocado, tomato, halloumi, home made style beans and rotate a small bit of chicken breast, steak or bacon with another black coffee (no bread). Followed by a plate of cut fruit.

Lunch - 11.30 - a warm lamb salad (cucumber, tomato and spanish onion) with a side of zucchini salad (zucchini and walnut)

Leave the office at 5.00

Exercise 5.30 to 6.30

Dinner 6.30 - garden salad (lettuce, tomato, cranberries, pine nuts etc) or a vegetable salad (pumpkin, eggplant, feta, nuts etc) with chicken breast, fish or beef
and finished off with a piece of fruit

Finish work at home 10pm and asleep by 11pm

The portions for breakfast and lunch are larger than normal and the dinner smaller than normal. Gluten free (I'm coeliac), no milk (so low dairy) and circa 2 litres of water mixed with 1 cup of weak but manly hibiscus, vanilla and berry tea for flavour.

typical day:

wake up 6am start work from home with a black coffee

get to work and order breakfast - 8.30am - eggs, spinach, mushroom, avocado, tomato, halloumi, home made style beans and rotate a small bit of chicken breast, steak or bacon with another black coffee (no bread). Followed by a plate of cut fruit.

Lunch - 11.30 - a warm lamb salad (cucumber, tomato and spanish onion) with a side of zucchini salad (zucchini and walnut)

Leave the office at 5.00

Exercise 5.30 to 6.30

Dinner 6.30 - garden salad (lettuce, tomato, cranberries, pine nuts etc) or a vegetable salad (pumpkin, eggplant, feta, nuts etc) with chicken breast, fish or beef
and finished off with a piece of fruit

Finish work at home 10pm and asleep by 11pm

The portions for breakfast and lunch are larger than normal and the dinner smaller than normal. Gluten free (I'm coeliac), no milk (so low dairy) and circa 2 litres of water mixed with 1 cup of weak but manly hibiscus, vanilla and berry tea for flavour.

What's your goals?

What's your goals?

At 40yo, for me, it is about
- maintaining weight (staying between 78-80kg) but have dropped to 76kg recently
- continue to be able to run out a full soccer match
- keeping the acceleration to match it with younger guys in indoor soccer
- maintaining current muscle size and tone
- improve strength through the legs and core

most importantly keeping energy levels up, feeling good and enjoying what I eat

- maintaining weight (staying between 78-80kg) but have dropped to 76kg recently

New teeth?

Add more carbs to your evening meal like sweet orange or purple potato or white rice.
Put butter on anything n everything.
Add a high fat dessert.
Increasing good fats will increase energy n recovery.
Have a black coffee b4 sport n training will give you a boost, 20ml MCT oil in coffee will give u boost too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back