Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

This fasting is the name given by the experts to give the practice of not eating to a extended period of time. This fasting will reduce the blood pressure, oxidative stress, risk of cancer etc. It increase the cellular turnover and repair, fat burning, increase the metabolic rate .
Fascinating, tell us more.

I've lost three kilos in the last three days.:eek:

I haven't done it this long yet, but i'm having a crack at fasting from last night until Melbourne cup lunch at work. looking forward to tomorrow already..

Trying to get pissed off one sip of champagne hey?

so i'm about 24 hrs into this fast and I decided to have a teaspoon of coconut oil - simply because I could... No craving or hunger at all so far (surprisingly), but that coconut oil didn't sit well at all.. It ended up demanding to come out, anyone know why this might be??

you can often get diarrhoea during or post fasting. The oil may have triggered it but it could've been anything.

Anything like the shits, gunky tongue, maybe an achy joint, headache, a pimple should be seen as a good thing. It's your body detoxing. Most toxins are stored in your fat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so i'm about 24 hrs into this fast and I decided to have a teaspoon of coconut oil - simply because I could... No craving or hunger at all so far (surprisingly), but that coconut oil didn't sit well at all.. It ended up demanding to come out, anyone know why this might be??

Added to what evo said, go easy on the MCT oil to begin with, if you're using that. Outside of that, view it as a mental exercise. You're not going to die, don't let your brain beat you, you train it. You'll be thankful for it.

Cheers fellas, next time i'll just bypass the coconut oil/MCT all together and go with nothing.
Yeah, that's the only thing i've had - other than some LB coffees, no stevia, no butter, MCT etc.. No worries. Other than last night around 9pm I haven't had a single uncomfortable moment. Melb Cup lunch is gonna be sweet.

Ive started trying to get back into the fasting side of things, last time i did it i felt great and lost a decent amount of weight. this time id like to stick with it and make it more a lifestyle change then just a way to lose weight.

One thing ive noticed this time round that didnt happen last time is im unable to do any decent workout after a fast. I get dizzy very weak and take a long time to recover after a workout. Not sore or anything just feel very lightheaded.

Is there anything i can do to counteract this, i know some people workout before they break a fast. Is there anything i should be concerned about that i dont appear able to do that? I can run 5-8km easy after a 36hour fast but if i try do any high intensity stuff i get the aforementioned affects.

Any advice from the more experienced guys here?

Ive started trying to get back into the fasting side of things, last time i did it i felt great and lost a decent amount of weight. this time id like to stick with it and make it more a lifestyle change then just a way to lose weight.

One thing ive noticed this time round that didnt happen last time is im unable to do any decent workout after a fast. I get dizzy very weak and take a long time to recover after a workout. Not sore or anything just feel very lightheaded.

Is there anything i can do to counteract this, i know some people workout before they break a fast. Is there anything i should be concerned about that i dont appear able to do that? I can run 5-8km easy after a 36hour fast but if i try do any high intensity stuff i get the aforementioned affects.

Any advice from the more experienced guys here?
What kind of fasting are you doing?
What kind of exercise are you trying to accomplish and is it at the end of a fast or after breaking the fast?
How soon after the breaking the fast if so?

What kind of fasting are you doing?
What kind of exercise are you trying to accomplish and is it at the end of a fast or after breaking the fast?
How soon after the breaking the fast if so?

normally try and do 1 X 36 hour fast a week.
Excercise is variable 1 week ill run 5km the next will be more high intensity interval stuff.
I have tried doing this prior to breaking the fast as i had been told this is what others had done but im personally struggling with that,

Excercise is variable 1 week ill run 5km the next will be more high intensity interval stuff.
I have tried doing this prior to breaking the fast as i had been told this is what others had done but im personally struggling with that,
I've had great success with 24 hour fasts that incorporate AM fasted cardio.

If I was doing it today I would have
>had dinner last night
This morning
>200mg caffeine pre workout
>Complete 30mins steady state or 15 mins HIIT cardio
>BP coffee at 3pm to stave off catabolism and a boost to fat burning thanks to the butyric acid in the grass fed butter and the fat consumption boosts the bodies release of ghrelin which plays a key role in the burning of fat stores. Not to mention the caffeine which has great thermogenic effects
>Break the 24 hour fast with dinner at 6pm-8pm

ablett also recommends 5g of leucine pre and post workout to prevent muscle wastage and increase fat burning. I've never included it and have had great results without it.

Fasting in this fashion once or twice a week plus regular anaerobic resistance training helped me lose 9kgs in 3 months :)

EDIT-Probably worth mentioning this style of fasting doesn't really work without being fat adapted. Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:

However if you're looking at performing these fasts as a lifestyle change not focused on fat loss then I would look at following evo's advice below and "let autophagy weave it's magic."

If you are fasting for 3 days I wouldnt work out. Just enjoy the benefits of autophagy for a few days.

Go for a long walk instead. Get a tan and some vitamin D. It's good for the soul.

All the science that I've read on IF suggests that after 48 hours you are starting to break down muscle as well as fat. That's why I've always kept my fasts to below 40 hours.

Losing a little muscle is fine if you're a 20 something mesomorph but if your a late 40s ecto all gainz are precious.

72+ hour fasts are fantastic, and one of the greatest things your can do your for health and longevity, but you have to see them for what they are: a cleansing, detoxing, body reset period. You dont want to be adding extra stressors like heavy weightlifting or hardcore HIIT. Save that for your shorter fasts in my view.

The guys who have been administering the long-term fasting resorts, some of them with decades of experience, all get their clients to just lie around and do as little moving as possible.

Let autophagy weave its magic. Losing fat is just a side benefit.

Do you still get all the benefits from fasting if you're drinking coconut water during the fast?

Without seeing the marco breakdown of coconut water, but from what i've seen they have a high carb content and this will break your fast. Consuming any calories will technically break your fast. However you can consume fat and this will still technically break the fast but not the fat burning process as insulin is "not affected"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back