International Cup 2014 - with teams listed as confirmed in OP

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is particularly galling to me when there is probably a dozen irishmen playing the game either at AFL or state league level, who could top up from the irish guys at district and regional clubs to put on a reasonably competitive show against even a state side at the Australian game

Imagine if the AFL brought back State of Origin and fixtured Victoria to play in Dublin, you just might have a riot on Harbour Esplanade :p

Can't wait for this - I've been to the past two ICs and saw what I consider some of the best examples of what Australian football is all about. Watching India win their first game ever at the tournament and the absolute joy that they showed was amazing. South Africa's post game celebration after beating GB in a semi will always stay with me. It's obviously not the best standard of football but for the passion shown from players who haven't grown up with our game, it's the best football experience of the year. Love it!

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone know if the Peres Peace Team is still kicking around/participating in IC14? Haven't heard much about them since 2011, and their Twitter feed hasn't posted anything since the last tournament.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
ireland have named the first 14 players in its squad

The players selected so far:

Ryan McCloskey (Belfast Redbacks)

Kevin McSorley (Belfast Redbacks)

Sean Paul Henry (Belfast Redbacks)

Benny McDevitt (Belfast Redbacks)

Brendan Kelly (Belfast Redbacks)

David Lally (Dublin Demons)

John O’Regan (Galway Magpies)

Conor O’Halloran (Leeside Lions)

Muiris Bartley (Leeside Lions)

Dominic Joyce (Leeside Lions and Collingullie, NSW)

Mark Leavy (North Leinster Giants)

Tom Browne (Paris Cockerels)

Paul O’Halloran (South Dublin Swans)

Peter Ross (South Dublin Swans)

Mar 13, 2007
The Nation's Capital
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC, CFC, 76ers, Oilers, Roys FFC
Teams as outlined by the just released IC14 schedule

Men: Canada, China, Croatia, Fiji, Finland, France, Great Britain, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Nauru, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peace Team, PNG, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sweden, Tonga, USA and Vanautu

Women: Canada, Fiji, New Zealand, USA, PNG, Tonga, Ireland and The European Crusaders

Mar 13, 2007
The Nation's Capital
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC, CFC, 76ers, Oilers, Roys FFC
I understood Vanuatu, and the PNG womens team were not coming, and Solomons and Croatia
I've been working with the Indonesian National team (Go Garudas), that was the list that we were sent by the AFL, as well as the schedule for the two weeks.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Read on worldfooty news I think, that it took them about 24 Hrs to pull a team together, so it shows the level of interest.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Read on worldfooty news I think, that it took them about 24 Hrs to pull a team together, so it shows the level of interest.

Yes, it shows a good level of interest but it miss-represents the situation a little wrt cost.
If you haven't been to Oz before it's a good excuse to spend the money, have a holiday, play football and play for your country. Teams that have played before and want to play again find it very hard to come up money to play every three years. There is a lot of talk of extending the period to fours years and this seems logically reasonable but has the negative of being to long as to retain some players.

Back