Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
Jun 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Williams F1
So far I have selected 18K for both my flights. Am hoping to get there early and snag an exit row seat though.

Emirates 777s have several different seating configurations. Where are you going? What flights will you be on?

http://www.emirates.com./au/english/flying/our_fleet/seating_chart.aspx?id=77WPPJY&from=195345

That is the seating chart for an Emirates Boeing 777-300ER with private first class suites, which I believe is what EK operate to and from most Australian cities.

I don't know if not having a window bothers you. Exit row seats in economy on most 777s do not have a window. Due to the configuration of the aircraft, 18K is also missing a window.

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
Emirates 777s have several different seating configurations. Where are you going? What flights will you be on?

http://www.emirates.com./au/english/flying/our_fleet/seating_chart.aspx?id=77WPPJY&from=195345

That is the seating chart for an Emirates Boeing 777-300ER with private first class suites, which I believe is what EK operate to and from most Australian cities.

I don't know if not having a window bothers you. Exit row seats in economy on most 777s do not have a window. Due to the configuration of the aircraft, 18K is also missing a window.
Thanks for that. I am going from Adelaide to Dubai to Prague. I believe they are both a 3 Class 777-300ER. I am interested to see that 18K does not have a window. Not that it really bothers me too much, but it would be nice to see the Dubai skyline from the air on the way in. Are the seats really as narrow and uncomfortable as a lot of people say? If I can get an exit row when I get to the airport, hopefully the extra legroom will negate any other negatives.

Jun 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Williams F1
Are the seats really as narrow and uncomfortable as a lot of people say? If I can get an exit row when I get to the airport, hopefully the extra legroom will negate any other negatives.

I've never flown with EK so I can't give you any first hand experience, but the fact that they put 10 seats per row in economy on a 777 when most current operators of the 777 have only 9 seats per row means that the seats and the aisles are noticeably narrower. I know people who have flown on EK 777s and haven't complained about the narrow seats.

They have reportedly traded width for legroom, though, with greater seat pitch than the industry average. Whether the seats "uncomfortably" narrow is a rather subjective question. But here's some pictures of the economy cabin, complete with the windlowless 18K:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Boeing-777-31H-ER/2148825/L/
This one was taken from the left hand side aisle at row 21 facing forwards.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Boeing-777-31H-ER/2056766/L/
This one was taken from the right hand side aisle at row 17 facing backwards.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone had much experience with handling toddlers/small kids on a long international flight?

We are thinking about going to the US later this year with a 2-3 year old, and just wondering how the hell we can keep him occupied for 15 odd hours?

A night flight in the hope he might sleep most of the way?
Better to break the trip up into several legs over several days, or get it over with in one quick hit?

We are envisaging hours and hours of restless crying and screaming so any advice is welcome!

Anyone had much experience with handling toddlers/small kids on a long international flight?

We are thinking about going to the US later this year with a 2-3 year old, and just wondering how the hell we can keep him occupied for 15 odd hours?

Better to break the trip up into several legs over several days, or get it over with in one quick hit?

We are envisaging hours and hours of restless crying and screaming so any advice is welcome!
Just bring along stuff that he enjoys, maybe a couple of different things. Games, colouring books (or is there an app for this now?) or movies are usually a good bet. For 15 hours, it wouldnt hurt to bring more than you think you need so your child has the choice of what he wants to do.

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors

We just came back from the US. We took our 4 yr old daughter to Disneyland. Went direct from Sydney to LA. She was pretty good considering how long the flight was. The flight left at 3pm in the afternoon, so she was able to sleep for a good 6-7 hours on the way over. We flew on the Qantas A380 which had a wide range of shows for kids which kept her entertained. There are going to be times when they are cranky but you have to expect it.

The_Answer3

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Slp him some whiskey 10 minutes pre-flight so the rest of us can sleep.

kthanksbai

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I'm flying Melbourne-Phuket (direct) next month with Jetstar. Wondering if it's basically a lengthy domestic flight, or if there are any differences worth noting? I've never flown o/s with a budget carrier before so not sure what to expect.

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
I'm flying Melbourne-Phuket (direct) next month with Jetstar. Wondering if it's basically a lengthy domestic flight, or if there are any differences worth noting? I've never flown o/s with a budget carrier before so not sure what to expect.
I flew to Hawaii with Jetstar.

You will pay for everything on an international Jetstar flight.

There are no tv screens in the plane. If you want an IPAD, book it now for both ways. If you leave it to the day of the flight, they will all be gone as there only a limited number for hire per flight.

I can't remember if they charge you for the pillow and blanket?

Back