International Rules solution to AFL congestion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
While watching the IR game on Saturday one thing that stuck out to me was the lack of congestion. IMO a big factor in this was the rule that requires players to keep their feet when picking the ball up off the ground. This rule prevented players from diving on the ball and the subsequent stacks-on that inevitably follow.

367984-92fa13b4-0709-11e4-8f5c-fd2015ae61d5.jpg

Would this work in the AFL? It would be a pretty significant shift in the laws and nature of the game. FWIW, had this rule existed when I played I may have spared my legs countless layers of skin (stupid cricket pitches).

Thoughts?

People pick the ball up while holding their feet already. Then they get tackled and pulled down. Wouldn't change a thing.

Guys piling on top of each other on the ground isn't the source of congestion, though. Wouldn't you just get a situation where, as in the picture you've posted, everyone just stands around the ball?

The game will move beyond it without another massive shift in the rules.

Instead of being 'first in' players would hold back and tackle an opponent as soon as they gathered the ball, and given that they had their feet and therefore theoretically 'took on' the tackler, they would be pinged often.

It also doesn't stop the ball being held in to a pack. You can still dive in and tap it on (or dive second in to ensure that it doesn't come out), you just can't take possession.

Guys piling on top of each other on the ground isn't the source of congestion, though. Wouldn't you just get a situation where, as in the picture you've posted, everyone just stands around the ball?

Fair point, though with players taking standing possession of the ball (rather than jumping on it) hopefully the ball would be in motion more, allowing one of those players to receive a handpass. The image I had in my head when starting the thread was a player laying a tackle, the ball spilling out, and then those players diving on the ball to fight for it as their team-mates circle in to help. It seems to be the source of a lot of the stoppages and congestion in the current game, and I think preventing that second dive on the ball might open the game up a bit.

I agree. I was going to post a thread along the same lines. It makes the stupid sliding in below the knees rule redundant.

Yes good OP, I too was thinking of starting a similar thread.

Gaelic has even less / no congestion - but I think that is due to no tackling, so we can't have that.

One reason I think is the exhibition nature of the game; yes the teams care but similarly to State of Origin, the emphasis seems to be on the best players showing off their skills, and so defensive tactics take a bit of a back seat.

I think the round ball also helps - it is very predictable so you can confidently position yourself to take possession or even tap the ball away to a teammate.

It was refreshing to see. Some packs etc I do not mind but the rolling maul mess that hs crept in is just so bad to watch.

No, I don't like the idea at all... it destroys the critical notion of advantaging the player attacking the ball, the one who goes in and makes the play. Instead it rewards the coward standing back waiting for someone else to do something before they pounce.

Would rather we were stricter on incorrect disposal, holding the ball AND most importantly tackles on people on the ground which are really nothing more than a push in the back (by piling on top of a an existing pack).... than penalising people for putting their body on the line to earn possession.

What's wrong with congestion? This is such a massive change in the way the current game is played you may as well just play Gaelic.

And honestly I can see this causing more head clashes with multiple players going for the ball and rather than going to ground, having to bend down to do so.

What's wrong with congestion?

In itself, not a lot, is a part of the game just like free flowing footy is, and good defensive pressure can definitely be appreciated by the discerning fan. But it is starting to become a problem when it dominates and when it all seems a bit random how the ball gets out, with umpires allowing throws, not rewarding good tackles, not penalising bad tackles, etc just to keep the game going; the skills of the game can sometimes take a back seat.

Plus, on balance, it is simply not nearly as good to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind trialling this one in the preseason for a few years, we're already halfway down the path anyway with the diving on/dragging in the ball and sliding rules.

We always teach kids to keep their feet so it's still in line with one of the game's fundamentals.

I thought you were going suggest the 6-handball chain rule. Also the no boundary throw ins made it flow faster as well.

Congestion comes from putting the whistle away and letting the play go.

Free flowing footy comes from the whistle - paying htb, paying incorrect disposal, bouncing when a pack forms, respecting tackles that are correctly laid but not forceful etc

The rules are there but the current trend in umpiring is not to enforce them. Until the trend goes back the other way, we will put up with congestion.

In general footy play, there is an inevitable tendency toward stalemates and packs. Only early and regular whistle use helps.

This is not new- ask anyone to nominate an era of "terrific free flowing footy" and you can be sure it was an era of much higher whistle use. Any era of packs and stalemates.... low whistle use.

Quite often you hear stupid people praising the umpires for going light on the whistle. These are the people to blame for congestion.

I think the shape of the ball makes it far easier to predict and move along and therefore less stoppages.
Yep I agree.
How often did they slap the ball away or just give it a toe poke?

But I would say that not being allowed to pick it up when on the ground helped that.
i.e. you're on the ground and I know you can't pick it up, so I just nudge it away from you.

Or, maybe you'd slap it away from me.

Cant do that with an oval ball. Too many variables.

I think this rule would work and improve the game. Congestion and these kind of rolling mauls that develop are a really ugly part of the game and do nothing for the spectator, Umpires whistling up and giving a ball up is an unsatisfactory way of resolving it as well as it often leads to a repeat maul or even more congestion. Any player holding onto the ball while on the ground or lying on the ball should be penalised as it is usually a cynical way of slowing the game up.

Id also like to see ball ups for when the ball goes out of bounds done away with. If someone puts a ball out of play they should be punished by having a free kick given against them it would completely speed up the game. As it is players are able to take the easy option of "accidently" running a ball out of play or slapping a ball out of bounds when outnumbered or playing for territory a bit like in rugby union, Some people might think its a skill but I don't I reckon its cynical.

Fixing umpiring solves congestion. Enforcing incorrect disposal, eg. dropping the ball once tackled when you have prior opportunity. Even if ball is dislodged in the tackle, it is still holding the ball IF the player had prior opportunity.
No new rules required just plain enforcement of existing rules.

Great idea. We should bring in the round ball too.............or if you don't like Australian football, follow something else rather than morphing it into something else.
Reducing congestion in conjunction with limited rotations will run players into the ground, decrease the standard of the game and is a measure designed to alter/eliminate a fundamental aspect of the game (contested ball).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back