Saints News International scholarship players

Remove this Banner Ad

140311-mountain-man.jpg

“I'm pretty stoked and excited,” the 16-year-old from South Auckland said.

"This whole opportunity is massive. It's a new experience for me and my family and I'm just really excited to take it as it comes and get the ball rolling.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-11/big-mountain-to-climb

140311-mountain-man.jpg

“I'm pretty stoked and excited,” the 16-year-old from South Auckland said.

"This whole opportunity is massive. It's a new experience for me and my family and I'm just really excited to take it as it comes and get the ball rolling.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-11/big-mountain-to-climb
Carrying a bit around the middle... Guess that explains the 96kgs at 16!! :p

Geez he's going to be a fearsome sized lad when he's fully developed...

EDIT: Just noticed this as well... :eek:
Known for his speed, leap and power, Mountain-Silbery caught the eye of Saints recruiters at the AFLNZ Combine in late January where he registered 2.97 seconds for a 20m sprint.

We should sign up 8 every year and keep a rolling list of 24 going, try and set up a team over in NZ that get together every 2-3 months for a camp and play scratch matches or attend carnivals.

Send a couple of the coaches over there to build that 2 way relationship and build their knowledge. Maybe even fly a player or two over if they can afford the time off. A situation like Lenny right now just screams out for him to go and spend 2-3 days in NZ to talk to these kids before coming back to gear up for round 2.

Exciting times people!

Last edited:
We should sing up 8 every year and keep a rolling list of 24 going, try and set up a team over in NZ that get together every 2-3 months for a camp and play scratch matches or attend carnivals.

Send a couple of the coaches over there to build that 2 way relationship and build their knowledge. Maybe even fly a player or two over if they can afford the time off. A situation like Lenny right now just screams out for him to go and spend 2-3 days in NZ to talk to these kids before coming back to gear up for round 2.

Exciting times people!
I like the idea but we have to keep in mind the cost. Maybe we can cut a sweetheart deal with Wellington council to fund a few of them, not dissimilar to what Footescray was doing with Williamstown

I like the idea but we have to keep in mind the cost. Maybe we can cut a sweetheart deal with Wellington council to fund a few of them, not dissimilar to what Footescray was doing with Williamstown

Between Wellington Council, NZ Government and the AFL we should be able to put enough funds together to get it rolling. Hell I'd be happy to team up with the Hawks (who now have 3 NZ players on their list/scholarships after previously having Trent Croad and Shane Savage) to try and get 2 teams going over there and really hammer home the idea of playing AFL to these kids.

Even if it means we have to play a second game over there each year - The long term benefits from a marketing/promotional point of view would be massive. Not to mention keeping the club at the front of the AFL's mind rather than constantly being lumped in as one of the "poor clubs like North, Saints, Dogs and Dees"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think if over the next 3 to 5yrs if we signed up about 15 of these kids youd probably be lucky if even 1 of them ended up making it to be an AFL player. But its probably still worth the effort.
Even if only 1 or even none end up doing a 'Mike Pike' the whole idea of NZ Scholarship is great for raising our profile in NZ. And every bit helps when it comes to Memberships . Not just signing up Kiwis over there either. There is heaps of em over here of course, so if this gets a few of them interested in the Saints then its a good thing.
We got nothing to lose. The early days of the 'Irish' experiment were very hit n miss. Sean Wright & Jimmy made it while many others didn't.
Nowdays there is quite a few Irish boys on the AFL lists. This will be the same with these kids. A lot will do nothing , but they are so athletic that if one of them does come good LOOK OUT :)
Great work by the Saints IMO:thumbsu:

Does anyone know if has played any afl?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
He said that footy is still new to him but he comes from a rugby background and represents his school in 100m running high and long jump so he has a lot of attributes that will help him

He said that footy is still new to him but he comes from a rugby background and represents his school in 100m running high and long jump so he has a lot of attributes that will help him
Thanks for that. I haven't had the time to check the saints website.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Well, that's a first for that type of name (Mountain)

No it's not. Kenesaw Mountain Landis was a federal judge and first Commissioner of Major League Baseball from 1920- 1944. Apparently he was named after the site of a Civil War battle in Georgia. Come to think of it, I like mountain women, so maybe I'll change my name.

The kid is a monster! Really excited to see how he kicks on, he could be the leagues next big superstar, and should be ready about the time we make our charge back up the ladder!

Basing a VFL team in Wellington after we are done with Sandy wouldn't be a terrible idea. There would have to be some sort of deal with the AFL to pay for the flights and accomodation of the visiting stand alone sides (none of whom could afford the expense), but it certainly bares thinking about.

Basing a VFL team in Wellington after we are done with Sandy wouldn't be a terrible idea. There would have to be some sort of deal with the AFL to pay for the flights and accomodation of the visiting stand alone sides (none of whom could afford the expense), but it certainly bares thinking about.
I suspect we'll get delivery rather than pick-up. I can see about a quarter of our VFL Saints squad being Kiwis, playing at Moorabbin.

you know, there was a question at the AGM the question by somebody was that the guy asked the President to promise that we would not become the NZ saints and based ourselves out of NZ. if we go ahead with the abve, the supporters will be up in arms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back