Interstate Trips - knowledge sharing

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done Adelaide and Sydney a few times.
Last year did Brisbane for the first time.
This year I did Perth and Adelaide Oval for the first time.
Next year will do Gold Coast and SCG for the first time.

Thought it might be a good idea to share experiences on places to stay in various cities, places to go to meet other supporters and even the best way to get tickets to the game.

I went to see us play Port at AAMI a few years back. I think it was 2010, it was Choco's last game.

We stayed at the Hilton and it was only after watching Dayne Beams' travel diary for the club website that I realised the club were staying at the exact same hotel for almost exactly the same duration we did. Didn't see hide nor hair of any of them which is surprising because apart from having their breakfast in a separate room, they weren't going out of their way to hide their presence, at least in the footage I saw. They certainly made themselves comfortable at the hotel pool at night...

I've never been to the SCG. But Gold Coast is a great ground, however it is terrible for meet ups etc. It's in the middle of bat s**t no where. Assuming your staying in surfers, pretty sure last time I went I had to catch a bus to a train station which was past the ground because there's no stop in front of the ground, then get a special metricon bus from the station.

As for tickets, I just got them online a week before I went up. Was plenty of room. But assuming Gold Coast play finals and have a lot of wins this year, could be abit harder to get good seats.

Last edited:
Thought it might be a good idea to share experiences on places to stay in various cities, places to go to meet other supporters and even the best way to get tickets to the game.

My obsession has grown to the point where I ended up going to every single Pies game last year. Next year I'm planning on going to the SCG and Gabba games but will probably leave it at that.

Luckily for me my partner is nearly as daft as me about footy (albeit in a twisted and evil Hawthorn way) so I've gone to a fair few interstate games over the years and managed to visit every major ground.

A few notes:

Gold Coast - great boutique stadium that has a fantastic atmosphere when full (i.e. when we play there). If you're an RACV member you great rates at the Royal Pines resort which is pretty much next to the stadium. Otherwise transport and parking for the ground is pretty poor. Also supposedly the resort has a great golf course if you're into that. Tickets are easy to come by if you plan ahead. Unlike a lot of grounds they put tickets for all games on sale even before the season starts.

Gabba - nice ground for viewing but has bad connotations for me. Been there twice for 2 losses. Once in 2008 which is literally the only game I've been to where I genuinely think the umpires stole it from us. And how we managed to lose there in 2010 still astounds me. Pity there's no trains to the ground but the free busses are run pretty well and it's pretty close to the CBD.

A good tip for Qld games is that it's very easy to travel between Brisbane and Gold Coast. It's only an hour by car or train, and particularly easy to go from Brisbane Airport straight through to the Gold Coast. Did this last year as our GC game was in the middle of school holidays and flights were really expensive. Saved nearly $100 on each flight by going through Brisbane instead.

ANZ / Spotless Stadiums - these grounds are literally next to each other but out in the middle of nowhere. You do get free travel on the trains but it is a long way back to the city. For mine the better solution is to find a good deal at one of the hotels at Homebush and relax after the game instead of being jammed into a train. Using Lastminute to find a hotel for the GWS game this year I found an incredibly cheap 'secret hotel' deal that was described as a 5 star hotel in the Homebush area. Wanting to make sure it was actually one of the hotels right next to the ground I looked up the listing for the Pullman Hotel. The description started with "the only 5 star hotel in the Homebush area...", so not very secret, then. The Pullman is also where the players stay, if you're into stalking.

ANZ Stadium is a terrible ground for watching footy. The sightlines and angles are all wrong for a start. The stands slope back too far and you feel as if you're miles from the action. As an AFL member you get cheap tickets and although you don't get to choose where they are you are always placed with the Collingwood supporters behind the goals, where the atmosphere is always terrific.

Spotless Stadium is in the same mould as Metricon. It will be a terrific place to watch footy if they can ever get a crowd to show up. At the moment AFL members get free general admission entry as well.

SCG - I've only been there once (to a Hawthorn game) before a lot of the redevelopment so I'm looking forward to going there next year. Public transport is an issue but it's not that far a walk from Central Station which is a better option than trying to get a bus.

Adelaide Oval - awesome atmosphere and approximately 712 times better than Football Park. Make sure you get tickets the minute they go on sale as it is extremely likely to sell out. They tend to go on sale only 2-3 weeks prior to the game. Adelaide is so compact and the ground so close you can stay anywhere in the city and walk to the ground.

Subiaco - The ground is getting a bit outdated but it's not too bad. Public transport is good. Similar to Adelaide Oval with tickets, if you try on the morning they go onsale to the public (typically 2-3 weeks before the game) you should be fine.

Aurora Stadium - I've been to quite a few Hawthorn games in Launceston and it's a really good trip to do. This is one you really need to plan well in advance though as there are only a handful of flights and hotels and they get expensive really quick. A similar trick to the Brisbane/Gold Coast one can work here if you're planning on staying for a couple of days (and there's more than one of you). Either fly into Hobart and spend a day there and then head to Launceston or do it the other way around and you could save $$$ on that flight. It'll probably be less expensive for our pre-season game there than it usually is for the regular Hawks games.

Overall, if you can get to an interstate game, do it! Nothing (except finals wins) beats winning interstate. Book early, set up alerts for cheap flights (Virgin Australia has a good app where you can do this), always check the discount hotel websites, go in groups to cut accomodation/taxi/hire car costs per person etc.

Went to GC the first year, but not since.
Thinking of going again next year, anyone know if you can actually park at the ground now and not have to catch a taxi or bus, which was totally ridiculous.

Overall, if you can get to an interstate game, do it! Nothing (except finals wins) beats winning interstate. Book early, set up alerts for cheap flights (Virgin Australia has a good app where you can do this), always check the discount hotel websites, go in groups to cut accomodation/taxi/hire car costs per person etc.
Brilliant posting MM.
I booked my accommodation and game tickets for Adelaide Oval, (brilliant atmosphere) and Subiaco via http://www.anygameanywhere.com.au/
I found cheaper flights myself, but the accommodation and game ticket combined were cheaper via them than the accommodation I'd found.
That said, the Adelaide one was pretty ordinary, (although I did manage to score 2 free full breakfasts as compo) and Perth was fine.
I'm thinking about Gabba again and looking forward to SCG/Metricon double.
Thanks for the tips!

Great idea for a thread, and great input from manicmagpie, admire your dedication. I'm almost ashamed to admit I've never been to an interstate Pies game, although playing Sydney at the SCG neat year appeals.

Thinking of going to the NAB game in Tassie and adding a couple of days. Love Tassie.
Also everyone that I have spoken to says Adelaide Oval is a must so might try and get there too.
Have been at least once in every other state, unfortunately seating was with the opposition and not as much fun, although won most games I attended.
Great tips though and much appreciated.

Just tentatively booked, (can cancel without cost) my accommodation for Gold Coast via booking.com
I tried the http://www.anygameanywhere.com.au/ and it will work out cheaper for me to book everything separately myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been to a Sydney game.
I was fortunate to be able to stay with a friend (also a mad Collingwood supporter).

It's fun going to an interstate game and lending your voice to spur the boys on!

I really admire the dedication of those that make special plans to go interstate just to watch a game. :hearts::rainbow:

Sydney - Been to Homebush every game since 2008 except I missed the losing prelim. Never seen us lose there. Always stay in Parramatta as it is cheaper, and try to make it a sports weekend with an NRL game too.
GWS - Went this year, quality little ground. Same deal with location as it is a one minute walk to ANZ.
Brisbane - Been 4 times I think. Very plastic ground. Usually stay near Suncorp and walk to the city, then get the busway to the GABBA. Is chaos after a game there. Already booked flights for round 1.
Gold Coast - Been 2 of the 3 times. Great ground. Always good weather. If you have a rented car, park it at the church for $10 and then walk a km or so to the ground.
Adelaide/Port Adelaide - Went to AAMI heaps (every game from 2002-07 for example plus a couple of others). Missed AO this year but have seen SANFL and cricket at the "old" Adelaide Oval. Last place I stayed in was Glenelg.
Fremantle/WCE - Only seen Fremantle at Subi in 2013. Stayed in th CBD, was furious after our last quarter fade out and walked 5km back to my hotel. Fremantle supporters are without doubt, the dumbest in the league.

Sydney - Been to Homebush every game since 2008 except I missed the losing prelim. Never seen us lose there. Always stay in Parramatta as it is cheaper, and try to make it a sports weekend with an NRL game too.
GWS - Went this year, quality little ground. Same deal with location as it is a one minute walk to ANZ.
Brisbane - Been 4 times I think. Very plastic ground. Usually stay near Suncorp and walk to the city, then get the busway to the GABBA. Is chaos after a game there. Already booked flights for round 1.
Gold Coast - Been 2 of the 3 times. Great ground. Always good weather. If you have a rented car, park it at the church for $10 and then walk a km or so to the ground.
Adelaide/Port Adelaide - Went to AAMI heaps (every game from 2002-07 for example plus a couple of others). Missed AO this year but have seen SANFL and cricket at the "old" Adelaide Oval. Last place I stayed in was Glenelg.
Fremantle/WCE - Only seen Fremantle at Subi in 2013. Stayed in th CBD, was furious after our last quarter fade out and walked 5km back to my hotel. Fremantle supporters are without doubt, the dumbest in the league.

My first trip to Adelaide was the final we beat the Crows, (2008) and Maxy tagged Scott Thompson.
Done it a few times and have seen us beat Port and then lose to Port, (JMac game).
This year although we lost, was the best atmosphere - the hype around AO games is warranted.
Having done Subi, not that keen to go again.
Brisbane is strange, (although I was super impressed with their bus network after the game) I still might go for the "Beams" game.
Haven't done GWS might get to do that in 2016.

Last edited:
Went to GC the first year, but not since.
Thinking of going again next year, anyone know if you can actually park at the ground now and not have to catch a taxi or bus, which was totally ridiculous.
Went in 2012 and there was next to no parking.

Will be going to GC, Port Adelaide and Sydney games

Went in 2012 and there was next to no parking.
Will be going to GC, Port Adelaide and Sydney games
Don't have to worry about parking if you stay near the ground:thumbsu:

I've never been to the SCG. But Gold Coast is a great ground, however it is terrible for meet ups etc. It's in the middle of bat s**t no where. Assuming your staying in surfers, pretty sure last time I went I had to catch a bus to a train station which was past the ground because there's no stop in front of the ground, then get a special metricon bus from the station.

As for tickets, I just got them online a week before I went up. Was plenty of room. But assuming Gold Coast play finals and have a lot of wins this year, could be abit harder to get good seats.

The Gold Coast has a tram now. You can stay any where from Southport to Broadbeach South (opposite Pacific Fair) along the route (Gold Coast HWY) and take a free tram ride to the free shuttle pick up spots to Metricon.

So it was your fault:D:p:eek:

Gonna head up to the Gabba for the RD 1 game and made friends at a wedding over the weekend who lives in Perth and is getting me into a corporate box for the game over there haha. Never been to those grounds so thats me for the year

Sorry for the intrusion, but I saw this thread and thought I might be able to help. I've been Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast, SCG and ANZ Stadium. Have been to Adelaide, but not AO yet.

Subiaco is like WA's version of VFL Park. Old and out-dated, but not a bad ground. Easiest way to get there is to take a train from the CBD (if you're willing to travel with Eagles or Freo supporters). Tend to go to the Eagles games over Freo. Not sure why. Atmosphere is amazing.

Brisbane - Gabba is pretty easy to get to. Buses run from the CBD, and then run back to the CBD after the game. Tickets shouldn't be a problem.

Gold Coast - Free travel if you decide to stay in Brisbane if you have your ticket. Train then bus to the ground, and then the reverse to go back to Brisbane. Not sure what the transport is like from the Gold Coast, but buses I would have thought would be the way to go. An amazing new ground - if you're playing up there this year this would be the game to go to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back