Movie Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
I have to admit it's one of my pet hates when people simply complain any movie being longer than 2 hours as being too long. Of course if the movie isn't strong enough to go for more than 2 hours then that's fine. The Godfather Part 2 went for 200 minutes and that was fine because of the quality of the film. This isn't having a go at people who don't like Interstellar, I was just reminded of this while reading reviews and IMDB talking about Interstellar.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Boring 3.5/10

This movie pretends to be great, but it's just a very poorly edited movie. Could have wrapped in1 hour less time and snappier dialogue. Utter disrespect for the audience. My 50 year old cousin fell asleep and his 12 year old son wanted to leave.

Even Prometheus was better, and I thought that was average!

Only for people who want to pretend that they have "taste" ...it just is for for dull movies
image.jpg

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Have to add my two cents. :)

I saw this film about two weeks ago and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I will say that I've spent a large portion of the last two weeks thinking about the film, so that's gotta mean something. ;)

I thought the score was the highlight of this film (and the silence in space), but there were far too many scenes that were unnecessary or a bit too long. As a result, the film dragged in places and overall the movie goes for about 20 minutes too long. For this reason alone, I'm doubting that I'll give it a second viewing, even on Blu-Ray.

As for the dialogue issues, I had the same experience however after watching the movie I read that Nolan had deliberately mixed the sound in places so that the score would overpower the dialogue. He said something to the effect that "dialogue shouldn't be relied upon to tell a story". For this, I give Nolan a lot of credit, as you can't argue that this isn't a risky move.

As for the sci-fi criticism, I think Nolan focused more on the science than the fiction, so when the fiction comes in more heavy-handed in the third act, he is being criticized for it. And given the climax and conclusion rely solely on fiction, this is what people will remember as they leave the theater.

Overall, I'd say it warrants an 8/10. Not the best I've seen, but certainly a game-changer in the way future blockbusters should be made.

Really enjoyed it. Maybe slightly long in parts but made up for it in the cinematography, music and acting.

Have no knowledge of science so I slowly nodded to everything they said. Seemed A-OK to me.

Really loved when they got back to the ship after being on the 'water planet' and the black guy was standing there saying its been 23 years. Were actually a few gasps of shock from the audience.

Didnt realise this was supposed to be a doco..

If you read a lot of the reviews, many are saying its 'factually the closest depiction of the science' or at the very least 'a good representation'. People are probably responding to those comments.

If you read a lot of the reviews, many are saying its 'factually the closest depiction of the science' or at the very least 'a good representation'. People are probably responding to those comments.

Its cool. Its really just a pet peeve of mine when people go on about realism in movies/tv shows. I personally dont get it because the whole thing is fake and I dont care how true to the life the subject matter is. Its still made up. I just see it alot on these boards but I guess thats my problem more than anyone elses.

Its cool. Its really just a pet peeve of mine when people go on about realism in movies/tv shows. I personally dont get it because the whole thing is fake and I dont care how true to the life the subject matter is. Its still made up. I just see it alot on these boards but I guess thats my problem more than anyone elses.
I'm kind of the same. Someone I know was criticising it because a rocket scientist friend of theirs was saying Michael Caine's equation was jibberish.

I'm disappointed for people that such irrelevant things can annoy them and they can't just enjoy the film.

Finally got around to seeing this tonight. Cinematography - very good, great score, intriguing plot and very good acting.

Matthew McConaughey, once again, excellent.

I thought the length of the film was suitable, some scenes perhaps not essential, but I wasn't bothered.

9/10

PS; was Cooper's first name revealed at any stage, and was Tom's second child called Cooper Cooper, or were they just calling him by the surname?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
If one is going into a movie about wormholes (which may not even exist) expecting it to be 100% accurate based on our current scientific findings, they're doing it wrong and of course are going to be disappointed.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I had no issues with the length of the film,there were times during the film i was thinking wtf is going on but overall it was ok. imo i still hold Gravity as one of the best space movies iv'e seen.

The bit i liked in the film most is when Matthew McConaughey goes back to his space ship and finds out that 23 years has passed when in fact he's only been gone for 2 hours.

Last edited:
If one is going into a movie about wormholes (which may not even exist) expecting it to be 100% accurate based on our current scientific findings, they're doing it wrong and of course are going to be disappointed.
There's also the possibility that in a different part of the Galaxy, things like gravity may not operate exactly the same.

Actually the bit that didn't sit right with me when watching the movie...Cooper more or less found the NASA station and then within a few hours was asked to pilot the mission. Seemed like a point in the film they may have had trouble writing without making it look completely ridiculous.

Ugh!

5.5/10

By far the worst film Nolan has ever made. The screenplay is a joke, I cringed several times during the film and even contemplated walking out at one point.

Yeah, tend to agree with you. Saw it today. The sentimentality and cliches really got to me.

The writing was weak - the top was particularly weak, following, totally unquestioningly, co-ordinates in the dust to get to Nasa's door was laughable.

Lots of money, lots of look, every big cinematic trick, but failed for me.

Actually the bit that didn't sit right with me when watching the movie...Cooper more or less found the NASA station and then within a few hours was asked to pilot the mission. Seemed like a point in the film they may have had trouble writing without making it look completely ridiculous.

That bit was silly. Almost as silly as how he got to Nasa.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi

This is my only problem with the film. Runs a little smoother on the second viewing but it's still messy.

This is my only problem with the film. Runs a little smoother on the second viewing but it's still messy.
Well they established that Michael Caine knew he was a seriously good NASA pilot. And I can't imagine at that point there was a great deal of alternatives, given they were operating in secret.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well they established that Michael Caine knew he was a seriously good NASA pilot. And I can't imagine at that point there was a great deal of alternatives, given they were operating in secret.

But thats just it - Michael Caine's character knew him already. If he already knows he's a seriously good pilot and so integral to the mission, why wasn't Cooper brought into the loop and on the project from the start?

And gun pilot or not, there would be a fair bit of training and briefing for that mission - this is humanity's last hope, a mission that they know will probably take decades. Within a few hours of getting to NASA they practically just threw him the keys to the car and said have a good time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back