Intra-club match 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I may have missed it, but Im pretty sure Ballaz kicked only one goal and was far from doing what he wanted in the game. It was difficult to see the whole ground from my vantage point. Can anyone remember him kicking more than one goal? I thought young Hughes was outstanding.

I obviously disagree with you on the skills front. In the first proper competive hit out they were brilliant from my view.

Quick question: Do you think Neale could find himself out of the 22 for round 1?

Also which position would you like Crozier to play and have the most impact in games. As I'm torn between mid/wing or hff.

Quick question: Do you think Neale could find himself out of the 22 for round 1?

Also which position would you like Crozier to play and have the most impact in games. As I'm torn between mid/wing or hff.

Like others have said, Neale was on Team B, which makes it difficult to assess his game. I do think RTB will be more ruthless than ever before at selection and there will be some shock omissions in 2015 with recent form being rewarded. IF De Boer and Suban continue to star in the preseason it is possible Neale will miss out if he is not firing on all cylinders.

I like Crozier on a wing as it makes our midfield more attacking. A 50/50 role (forward/mid) is definitely on the cards.

Like others have said, Neale was on Team B, which makes it difficult to assess his game. I do think RTB will be more ruthless than ever before at selection and there will be some shock omissions in 2015 with recent form being rewarded. IF De Boer and Suban continue to star in the preseason it is possible Neale will miss out if he is not firing on all cylinders.

I like Crozier on a wing as it makes our midfield more attacking. A 50/50 role (forward/mid) is definitely on the cards.

50/50 role would be great.

Walters could do the same.

I am not sure crozier will ever be a forward pocket. I think he should play either on the forward flank or wing with short stints through the center square. When people talk about a 50/50 role I hope they are talking about the forward flank and not any deeper.

A lot of poster's extremely positive about yesterday's game...

Craig Moller cannot read the flight of the ball; ran underneath it on at least 3 occasions, allowing the defender to push him under it far too easily. Can't see this guy making it.

He is only 20 years old so i would give him a bit more time to develop into the sort of player
i think he will become.

Didn't Neale have a late start to his preseason? From memory, he had a knee clean up before Christmas.
I think that is correct. Last preseason he was in the top 10 for repeat 100's. In a session I saw this preseason he was in the bottom third of the runners. I think he injured himself in our last game and couldnt run between the end of the season and training in December.

50/50 role would be great.

Walters could do the same.
Ballas too. Croz already came into the side when Sonny was out with his foot injury, so I expect him to slot into Sonny's role as Sonny plays more midfield, as has been touted. Croz has spent the last couple of years working on his tackling and pressuring and it appears he can hold his own in that regard now. He was a bit of liability defensively when he started out.

After seeing Crozier's form yesterday (admittedly against below AFL standard opposition (which white were)), I'm starting to think of Crozier as an upgrade on D Pearce. He tackled well, found plenty of possession, made few errors with multiple incisive disposals by foot and would just about be our best set shot on goal; very accurate and can easily get greater than 50 done.

Poor Mickey B battled it out holding back the tide for the whites, as did Lachie Neale. Both these blokes would have enjoyed playing for the purples in the final term.

Just a comment about this. Mundy, Fyfe, Hill. Mzungu and Pearce not playing (Crowley I assume also not playing), all members of our midfield A-list. This leaves Barlow and Neale as our 2 best accredited midfielders on the park by a fair margin.

Shouldn't they have had a bit of a field day?

After seeing Crozier's form yesterday (admittedly against below AFL standard opposition (which white were)), I'm starting to think of Crozier as an upgrade on D Pearce. He tackled well, found plenty of possession, made few errors with multiple incisive disposals by foot and would just about be our best set shot on goal; very accurate and can easily get greater than 50 done.

No chance of happening, at least not this year, but I would have this done in a heartbeat. I think he'd make the perfect winger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a comment about this. Mundy, Fyfe, Hill. Mzungu and Pearce not playing (Crowley I assume also not playing), all members of our midfield A-list. This leaves Barlow and Neale as our 2 best accredited midfielders on the park by a fair margin.

Shouldn't they have had a bit of a field day?

No considering they played for the white team for the majority of the game. Once they swapped to the purple they improved 10 fold.

Did anyone else find it interesting that Sandi played at Full forward for most of the game?

I can think of a few reasons why they had him up there...

1. They're managing his workload
2. They wanted to see who would win the ruck duel out of Hannath and Clarke.
3. In Pav's absence they wanted someone massive up forward
4. They want him to play forward more this year.

Now, I don't know about you folks, but #4 excites me a bit. Sure, Sandi was the best ruckman in the comp last year and Sandi/FYfe was the best clearance duo in the comp, so putting him up forward does take something away from the most important part of the ground, but... Clarke is in ripping nick, and I feel like he might be ready to really step up as an A grade ruckman. If Clarke can really take it to another level, it could actually be a boost for our midfield to have Sandi running less Kms and Clarke having more time in the middle where his talents are better utilised. And if your defence is trying to keep both Sandi and Pav quiet, Taberner has his best possible shot to make an impact. Sandi, Pav, Taberner is a much scarier forward line than Clarke, Pav, Tabs.

Thoughts?

Did anyone else find it interesting that Sandi played at Full forward for most of the game?

I can think of a few reasons why they had him up there...

1. They're managing his workload
2. They wanted to see who would win the ruck duel out of Hannath and Clarke.
3. In Pav's absence they wanted someone massive up forward
4. They want him to play forward more this year.

Now, I don't know about you folks, but #4 excites me a bit. Sure, Sandi was the best ruckman in the comp last year and Sandi/FYfe was the best clearance duo in the comp, so putting him up forward does take something away from the most important part of the ground, but... Clarke is in ripping nick, and I feel like he might be ready to really step up as an A grade ruckman. If Clarke can really take it to another level, it could actually be a boost for our midfield to have Sandi running less Kms and Clarke having more time in the middle where his talents are better utilised. And if your defence is trying to keep both Sandi and Pav quiet, Taberner has his best possible shot to make an impact. Sandi, Pav, Taberner is a much scarier forward line than Clarke, Pav, Tabs.

Thoughts?

Sandi playing FF for 75% game time would also improve his longevity. Could play for another 5 years!

He was certainly imposing down there, and reads the flight well. Unless he's being clung on to or bumped before going for a mark, he's a got a decent set of miss, too.

Sandi playing FF for 75% game time would also improve his longevity. Could play for another 5 years!

He was certainly imposing down there, and reads the flight well. Unless he's being clung on to or bumped before going for a mark, he's a got a decent set of miss, too.

I had the same thought myself. I'm pretty sure anyone who's played in the ruck would agree.

How many marks did he take ? Didn't he only kick one goal ? It all good having our best ruck taken away to go down there, but we need to get benefit

Interested to know how Clancee Pearce went, because I love him as a player and believe he is in that Ross Lyon mould of a battler invested in and developed into a really solid footballer. Noobrifle and JamFrank spoke about him and sounded like he played well, but does he make your 22 when everyone comes back on his scratch match performance? Did he look like the Clancee of old?

Lachie was okay in the intraclub match, but not great. But then again nor was Cam Sutcliffe and Michael Barlow really. No one on the white team really stood up at all. I think though that Lachie has been quite good at training recently, however he does make the odd mistake or two occasionally.

I think he will be a definite starter in the midfield, unless Blakely or Weller come on quicker than expected.

Interested to know how Clancee Pearce went, because I love him as a player and believe he is in that Ross Lyon mould of a battler invested in and developed into a really solid footballer. Noobrifle and JamFrank spoke about him and sounded like he played well, but does he make your 22 when everyone comes back on his scratch match performance? Did he look like the Clancee of old?

He moved freely and largely played in a link up role. Received a good portion of the ball as the game wore on and distributed with that familiar penetrating kick. While he did not get leather poisoning, I'd describe it as confidence building. With a modification to the game plan which looks to call for more emphasis on speedy transition by foot, I see Clancy as knocking on the door of our Best 22.

Clancee looked superb and was in amongst the best players on the ground for mine. I would describe his game as solid and reliable, plus he didn't miss one target.

It's funny when he kicks the ball, as he looks at his target first and then he watches the ball drop from his hands to his feet and only once the ball has left his boot does he ever look back up again.

Suban started like a world-beater, but he did fade after the first quarter. Still tried hard, but for me he often gets caught with the ball. This did not happen in the first quarter against the young kids, but was really noticeable when he switched to the whites. I think it is because everyone knows he will try to swing onto his left.

This has always been Suban's problem. It's not just that he always goes left, he also doesn't have any evasive tricks. He can't dummy or sidestep people. He doesn't even try to fend off. His entire repertoire is trying to burrow through people with his head, or running in an arc Scott Lucas-style to put distance between him and his opponent so he can use his left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back