Game Day Intra Club Practice Match @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval 5pm

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be awfully inexperienced for the season-proper though. Given that he spent a chunk of time playing in there at the end of last year, did well there again yesterday and would be twice as fit this year, I would expect Gilbo to be played there for sure (all things being equal) if Armo was out and of course Steven would also spend a lot of time there.
True. Either way we're starting to bat deep.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be pencilling Joey in on a HBF just yet, we need to remember that Gears is extremely highly rated by the club (keeps coming top 6 in the B&F and captained the club at times last year) and will take one of the back 6 spots, when he returns from injury, then there will be at least one and possibly two of Fisher/Goddard/Delaney/Lee, plus other locks in Dempster and Roberton, plus almost certainly J-Webb, so that could be 6 already and that doesn't include Savage, or say Newnes, who will likely spend time there, when pushed off the wing by the likes of Steven, Riewoldt, Freeman, Billings and co.

I'd say Joey will spend time mid, forward (where he spent a lot of time last year- high-HF, pushing into the midfield group after the centre bounce) and in defence.

I like that he's adding defence to his bow though. Could see him ending his career in a back pocket, Burkey-style. In about 5 years time!

I never quoted who played in the ruck in which quarter. Holmes plays with energy, aggression and creates space for his team mates. Hickey plays like a slow moving light pole that avoids contact at all costs, amost like he is still playing Volleyball.

The single thing you have correct is that Holmes destroyed Hickey in hit outs and effective centre clearances. Hickey is a better forward option than Holmes, but I would suggest what extra Holmes provides in the ruck surpasses Hickeys lame forward efforts. Hickey did f-all considering he was playing for the dominant side!

Joop you need to change those glasses of hope and replace them with some reality.
You said Hickey rucked against Pierce more so that's why I gave you the quarter by quarter ruck contests because you obviously didn't pay enough attention to see who was playing where.
And I never said Holmes beat hickey in the hit-outs, quite the opposite actually. But I can see by every other poster who was at the game it's not me who has the problem in this discussion.

Don't worry about me, I had one too many beers last night lol. I still stand by my statement but in nicer terms lol
I'm in the same boat mate. Waking up for work this morning was a touch rough :cool:.

Knew I'd seen Hickeys hairstyle somewhere!
images

As we know, Sinclair had very strong looking legs last season, but I thought yesterday he'd definitely added some more upper-body bulk. Last year to me he kind of looked big and strong from the waist down, but pretty light-on up top, whereas yesterday he looked as strong in the upper body as he did in the legs, which was really pleasing to see. Seemed to be moving really well, too.

Last edited:
Last nights match exceeded expectations in my opinion. I thought our structures and team defense looked very tight and coordinated, this was a large reason as to why the skills were poor in stages. Having Joey, Jim and Sav kicking out of defense made us so much cleaner coming forward. The plan is for youngsters to demand midfield spots so we have the luxury of playing Joey down back.
I'm stunned to read some negative stuff on here about Tom Lee this morning, I thought he was very, very good. For a KPP his disposal is a real weapon.
Acres was brilliant, especially early. He is always going to fluff the occasional kick but after this pre season I have a lot of confidence he'll be A Grade for us in a few years.
Of the other youngsters I thought Paddy looked good, he just knows when and where to move, such a classical full forward. He is going to kick a hell of a lot of goals for our club and put the fear of God into any defender silly enough to get in his road. Watching Bruce it's hard to believe he's 197cm the way he gets around the ground.
Jade Gresham has looked like a 100 gamer since he arrived, lucky he wasn't two inches taller or he would have been a top 5 pick. I think we may have got another ripping slider here!
Coughlan looked really good too, was solid down back and is doing everything right. Nick O'Kearney looked very nice too, would have been tough for him playing against the midfield he did, he impressed a lot of people yesterday.
All up I was extremely happy with yesterday's performance, off to Wangaratta we go.

Agree re Tom Lee. Some people forget that we will lose Fish and Dempster this year or next year, (might both be this year)which leaves us Goddard, Carlisle who will be one year out of the game, Lee and Delaney. That's 4 key defenders. Even if you only want 3 defenders it means it is a Lee v Delaney conversation. I think Lee has more to work with and is slightly younger. He's injury free now which restricted him in previous years also. So with Coughlan as the the project key defender that gives us sufficient list coverage.

I like the idea of playing Joey down back and go with a midfield of youngsters playing with Jack S and Armitage. Rotate some of them through the forward line as well. Love the idea of Gilbert, Acres and Ross with size to support our mosquito fleet. If Freeman can stay out on the park there's some express pace too!!

Whilst not every pick has been a winner, you have to doff your cap to our drafting and list management teams. Newnes, Steven, Webster all picked between 37 - 45; Sinclair, Eli, (and NOK whom I think will make it), from the rookie draft; I think we've picked well with out top 3 picks (Billings and Paddy) and it looks like the McEvoy deal with Hawthorn will pay off for us, (best kind of deals when both clubs benefit). Ross is starting to show at a second round pick. And I was very excited when we got Gresham as well based on what games I had seen (not live though). We haven't even seen Dunstan yet. It's all rather exciting even if we're likely one year away before we start to see tangible results.

I've put $20 on Blacres for Rising Star at 51/1 so the bourbon is on me when he wins :D:D:D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mav Weller is looking fit, strong and ripped. I think you'll see him improve again this year & go up a level.
I hope so, that would be really good. Would be good to have a real "enforcer" type in the team long term. And yes, he is a very serious physical specimen. I was on the fence near the interchange and he walked past at one stage, about 2m away from me, and I'm not sure he has an ounce of fat on him!

As we know, Sinclair had very strong looking legs last season, but I thought yesterday he'd definitely added some more upper-body bulk. Last year to me he kind of looked big and strong from the waist down, but pretty light-on up top, whereas yesterday he looked as strong in the upper body as he did in the legs, which was really pleasing to see. Seemed to be moving really well, too.
While I otherwise essentially agree with you, I don't think he was all that light on top either.

image.jpeg

Did anyone else think Payne looked good at times?
As I said, it took me a while to get my head around who was who in the yellow team once I got there (flustered, after driving for an hour through heavy traffic to get there, then taking ages to find a park and then having to walk a km or more once I did!), but I did think he looked impressive at times. Definitely looks like he's added a few much needed kg's, too.

While I otherwise essentially agree with you, I don't think he was all that light on top either.

View attachment 215318
He wasn't super-light up top last year, but I did think his lower body was a fair bit more advanced, whereas I thought yesterday his upper body had caught up and he looked similarly strong all over, which ought to hold him in better stead this year.

Last edited:
Lets not forget that Mav kicked one of the goals of the year last year. .. Regardless of whether the media praised the goal or not.
It was the way he did it. He's got some serious pace when he takes off with the footy tucked under the arm.
Taylor hunt who was chasing is no slouch ethier.
That's some serious ability mav's packing & not many players in the comp can do that!

I only saw that from him once last season,

This season I want to see that sort of intent from him week in week out & if he gets too that level by god he'll be an exciting player!

Another one to add to Richo's list ;)

I didn't realise Seb was still only 22. 23 in May.
After being dropped last year he came back and averaged over 20 possessions in his last 5 games.
Strong preseason and from what I saw yesterday it looks like he's going to continue to improve.

Over the past 3 years I've been against anyone putting his name up for trade, because frankly some people have blinkers and I felt they were being far too unkind to a kid who had a sizable upside that he is odds on to reach.

Sure, we had hayes at the time, and sure we had Dal, Beej and etc, but short of Armo who started as a forward pocket, our inside kids were less than emphatic prior to Seb coming in. Sebs hips, his hips are golden, you can bank on them, critiques were his spread, his tank, his ability to be on the burst and really, you were asking / expecting a 19 year old to run with Gaz jnr and that's realistic? GTFO, because you don't know footy like you think you do.

Seb won't reach the love that Hayes got, he won't be the same player, but, I would argue he'll be a much smarter footballer at the stoppages than him and he will compliment those around him who are the silk to his strength where you will comment about the Billings, about the Acres and at the beginning there was Seb. So no surprise people are starting to warm to him for me, was always on the cards as he is from a good football family and has shown signs of being a similar talent.

Some reason Minch doesn't seem to get much love, his kicking is awesome and too good for the vfl. Maybe with billings playing more mid and snids gone he might get more of a look. Done some good things at afl level too

A few more physical observations, in numerical order:

Eli looks to have bulked up a bit.

Dunstan is noticeably slimmer, especially in the upper body. No-where near as big a chest on him this year (shirt just hanging off him, rather than his chest sort of filling it up) and legs not as chunky.

Acres looking more solid.

Freeman and Armo were walking side by side and Armo was clearly taller than Freo, so either Dave is taller than he is listed at (more likely, IMO), or Nathan isn't as tall as listed (both listed at 183cm). Both were wearing runners.

Lonie looking stronger in the upper body.

Bruce noticeably stronger looking.

White a good height, but straight up and down skinny.

Pierce is finally looking more solid in the upper body and was looking a fair bit less of a "stringbean" than previously. Was standing right next to Holmes at one stage and I reckon Lewie (listed at 202cm) looked a touch taller than Jason (listed at 203cm), so I wouldn't be surprised if he's grown since first drafted.

Payne has definitely bulked up.
How tall is Acres? 190cm as listed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back