Investigation: West Coast Eagle Nic Naitanui ‘racially abused’ at Subiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...at-western-derby/story-e6frf3e3-1227311974794
AN investigation has been launched into reports a crowd member racially abused West Coast Eagles star Nic Naitanui at Sunday’s Western Derby.

The crowd member who allegedly shouted the abuse was reportedly at the eastern end of Domain Stadium but security guards were unable to identify the individual at the time.

Fijian-born Naitanui — a cult hero at West Coast and an AFL Multicultural ambassador — scored two goals for West Coast at Sunday’s derby, helping to narrow the Fremantle Dockers’ lead.

An Eagles spokesman said Naitanui had not heard the abuse during the game and the club was only made aware of it post-match.

Stay classy Perth.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers

I don't understand why you'd willingly handicap your own thread from the get-go. As a Collingwood fan of all people you should know what you're getting yourself into, do you think people have already forgotten the Goodes "monkeygate" fiasco or even the Lin Jong incident from a week ago?

Eastern end suggests Freo cheersquad, pretty disappointing either way.

Thanks for bagging the whole city because of one idiot OP. Similar to judging someone based on the colour of their skin.

One idiot?

From what I've heard from many fans in Perth is that Nic Nat receives a lot of racial abuse...

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Sad to see and I'm totally zero tolerance with racial stuff at the footy but I really hope the article is not suggesting the term "tip rat" is somehow racially charged.

I don't think a life time ban is the way to go BTW. The Richmond supporter who abused Lin Jong last week at least had the guts to fess up and apologize. Hopefully he doesn't do it again and others learn from it. I'd like to give people the chance to learn from their mistakes. Do a course. Talk with someone from another background to understand what it is like to be racially abused. I dunno - maybe I'm just a dreamer.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a shame that s**t like this still happens. Racists are a minority, but they're a loud and obnoxious minority. I'd like to see if they'd still be so chripy if they were confronted by 200cm, 100kg Naitanui.

No tolerance for it, however will wait for the facts to come out....at the moment it is a bit hazy.

If I heard someone yell something at Nic Nat, I'd dob em.

If it is Tip Rat (which I thought was more a socio-economic insult?) and only heard by 1 person - is it possible that Tip Rat might just sound like Nic Nat.

Anyway, if true not on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One idiot?

From what I've heard from many fans in Perth is that Nic Nat receives a lot of racial abuse...
"from what I've heard", hey?

The "stay classy Perth" comment is completely unnecessary. There is still racism everywhere.

And I reiterate what others have said. If proven to be true, the perpetrator should be dealt with harshly.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a pity they could find the person and chuck him out. Maybe the people nearby were reluctant to point the racist out to security because they're sitting in the same seat at every match and they fear reprisals from the guy's friends.

Anyway, one loud-mouthed racist person in a crowd of 45,000 football fans isn't a bad strike rate for a heated WA Derby.

At some football matches in Europe they'll have a whole grandstand of racist idiots chanting racist slogans.
Hundreds and hundreds of "ultras" throwing bananas onto the pitch and making monkey noises at the African opposition players.

I'm proud to be an Aussie where the majority of people treat each other as equals and racist remarks are no longer tolerated.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
...is it possible that Tip Rat might just sound like Nic Nat.

tumblr_lqrrylVyfU1qkb66ro1_400.jpg

PayFL

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Sad to see and I'm totally zero tolerance with racial stuff at the footy but I really hope the article is not suggesting the term "tip rat" is somehow racially charged.

I don't think a life time ban is the way to go BTW. The Richmond supporter who abused Lin Jong last week at least had the guts to fess up and apologize. Hopefully he doesn't do it again and others learn from it. I'd like to give people the chance to learn from their mistakes. Do a course. Talk with someone from another background to understand what it is like to be racially abused. I dunno - maybe I'm just a dreamer.
'Tip rat' has no racial connotation whatsoever. I hope that is not the basis for the article and allegation.

Me and my friends call each other tiprats, all in good fun. It's just a general remark which can be used for anyone. If it is racist, then James Brayshaw might be in some strife, one of his favourite words on his radio calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back