Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Western_Sydney_Rams_Logo.jpg

Rugby team who played in the Australian Rugby Championship. The league lasted one year.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Interestingly, the league had Melbourne Rebels (not linked to Super Rugby team) and the Perth Spirit who had the same logo as Western Force.

EDIT: Just read the Force and Spirit were aligned...
EDIT #2: Just read that all teams were directly linked to Super Rugby teams except for Melbourne Rebels as there was no team in Melbourne.

Did we ever find this unused Royboys logo? There was a Footscray badge with a similar feature (a disguised FFC). This has one as well. Could've been a bit of a trend for footy clubs of the time...

It's funny, or more sad than anything, that this was due to expire at the end of 1997 (after being registered in '95). Most other AFL logos, including a Brisbane Lions (rego'd '96) one, had at least ten years of exclusivity.
get_tmi_image.pl

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/...p_detail=DETAILED&p_rec_no=230&p_rec_all=500#

There's also, Adelaide Apaches? Registered in 1995 with a lapse date of January 1997. Any possibility this was a back-up for Port Adelaide? I'm guessing not, because I don't remember this appearing on the AFL's IP page. The area is Coromandal Valley for you Croweaters. Is this where the SANFL is based or something?
That Fitzroy logo wasn't licensed to the AFL so I'm not sure if it was ever official. The same bloke has a Footscray logo and a Football Record design.

As for the Adelaide Apaches, it was registered by a Terry Brindle. A Terry Brindle also co-wrote a book on the 1997 Adelaide premiership.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Can anyone shed some light on what happens when the copyright expires? What can be done with the image? Reproduced?

When copyright expires, anyone can use the work for anything they wish. It's a free-for-all. But copyright has a very long timespan and trademarks are an altogether different matter.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
When copyright expires, anyone can use the work for anything they wish. It's a free-for-all. But copyright has a very long timespan and trademarks are an altogether different matter.

Thats right, copyright expires 70 years after the original creators death, unless extended by someone.

makri

Team Captain
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ahh ****! So nobody can never ever create vfa retro jumpers without the approval of football victoria.
Don't the original copyright holders need to prove, if challenged, that they are still using/or in tend to use it? I think CUB recently was embroiled is legal arguments over all the beer trademarks that they have hoarded but never use, apparntly they have hundreds.

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Well i dont know. Its so confusing. There "repo" patch's on ebay so i guess its ok to do?? Ive got no idea.

Just find it bullshit that a $30 repo vfa patch will cost me $60 when it costs 50cents to make in china!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Don't the original copyright holders need to prove, if challenged, that they are still using/or in tend to use it? I think CUB recently was embroiled is legal arguments over all the beer trademarks that they have hoarded but never use, apparntly they have hundreds.

For trademarks yes, copyright is different.

Did we ever find this unused Royboys logo? There was a Footscray badge with a similar feature (a disguised FFC). This has one as well. Could've been a bit of a trend for footy clubs of the time...

It's funny, or more sad than anything, that this was due to expire at the end of 1997 (after being registered in '95). Most other AFL logos, including a Brisbane Lions (rego'd '96) one, had at least ten years of exclusivity.
get_tmi_image.pl

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/...p_detail=DETAILED&p_rec_no=230&p_rec_all=500#
Fitroy?

Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades

It's why once every 3 years or so, you can purchase Ballarat Bitter or Richmond Lager or some other obscure beer. They're all defunct in terms of regular production, but they keep the trademarks by labelling a slab of beer every now and then.

onthemoney

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's why once every 3 years or so, you can purchase Ballarat Bitter or Richmond Lager or some other obscure beer. They're all defunct in terms of regular production, but they keep the trademarks by labelling a slab of beer every now and then.

Yup.. It's generally a good way to get your hands on a slab of Carlton (with a funky logo) at a cheaper price too.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very interesting. Pretty cool looking packaging as well.

richmond-lager.jpg

Still nothing on Melbourne Bitter, though.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rednecks? That place is upmarket mate.
I got a pot of beer there & it was $9 pretty upperclass
Mate, you're not even from WA. Of course the brewery isn't going to be a concrete slab with milk crates.

I don't think you'd get the culture. It's like, Emu Bitter has this weird pride thing associated with it... people like showcasing being a bogan, and by drinking "Red can," you apparently are (despite being horrifically white bred).

Go on the "Save Swan Brewery" facebook pages. The people commenting on there are the absolute lowest common denominator, hating a beer not through actual ethics or its taste (taste is surely the only thing that deciphers whether you like a beer), but because it doesn't have a black swan on it.

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow your right...just checked it. Do they not realise its owned by a large company not linked to swan anymore.
Bondy does not own it anymore. Tell em to go to sail & anchor & get a nice beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back