Science/Environment IPCC issues stark warning over global warming

Remove this Banner Ad

We are veering of track here, but Y2K was an end of the world hoax. Actually it was a $300 billion hoax, justly nicknamed the 'hoax of the century'.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Just because you put quotation marks around a claim doesn't make it correct. Andrew Bolt or FoxNews don't count as credible sources.

I wish to god I didn't have children. I would just sit back and laugh at the humans destroy themselves. It is sort of funny because you have the capability to understand what you're causing and how to stop it, but you just wont. So smart yet so stupid.

You have children? Well then, your carbon debt exceeds anything I could do.

Yes, that's not particularly relevant, but hey, you clearly can't respond to my actual argument.

AllCompared%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979.gif

LOL. Such a small time scale so stretched out for the temperature! Why was that period chosen as the average? As someone who knows a thing or two about stats I would suggest that you look at dy/dx = 0 and draw linear relationships between maximums for one line and minimums for the other.

Also do you notice anything about your ice graph? It is talking about ice surface area. Can you see the months that it's peaking? That's right in the southern hemisphere's winter ... mmmm wonder why? Is that inconsistent with the standard climate change theory?

LOL. Such a small time scale so stretched out for the temperature! Why was that period chosen as the average? As someone who knows a thing or two about stats I would suggest that you look at dy/dx = 0 and draw linear relationships between maximums for one line and minimums for the other.

Also do you notice anything about your ice graph? It is talking about ice surface area. Can you see the months that it's peaking? That's right in the southern hemisphere's winter ... mmmm wonder why? Is that inconsistent with the standard climate change theory?
Lol! Seriously? Because 1979 was the first year of satellite temperature observations. *face-palm*

You have children? Well then, your carbon debt exceeds anything I could do.

Yes, that's not particularly relevant, but hey, you clearly can't respond to my actual argument.

Oh you think that needs a response. Ok I will break it down for you. The response of the climate system to CO2 is well known. We can measure the amount of energy arriving earth and the amount leaving. Through spectrometers we can also get the wave lengths reflected or absorbed. The amount of energy absorbed by the earth as a result of CO2 is exactly what is expected.

Unfortunately there are some dimwits around who don't realise that the mean temperature won't respond in a linear fashion. It has to take into account many mixing systems on earth. However, the energy is here and it will continue to heat the globe.

What is the biggest worry of all is the amount of methane that will be released from permafrost and then the oceans absorbing of CO2 slowing down. At that point there is a run away effect in the warming. If you want to picture what I think will happen with the mean temp think of a noisy signal around an arctan type function.

You mean to say the ice extent is growing during winter? I'm shocked!

But isn't the planet supposed to be ice free by now...?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/04/top-5-failed-snow-free-and-ice-free-predictions/

The modelling and understanding of physical processes expects there to be different things happening at either pole. The arctic is heating up disproportionately quickly due its regional geography. There has always been an expectation of increased precipitation at the Antarctic so as you can see with the heavy bias of southern winter in the signal, this should actually be leading towards an increase in surface ice across the year. It's a bit worrying that it's showing a fairly steady state, but I'm not sure I can trust your choice in axis.

Of course this doesn't deal with the real measure of ice, volume. That is a bigger indication of the stability of glaciers (combined with movement).

global warming. no global warming.

doesn't seem like it matters. The real problem is we're going to run out of fossil fuels anyway, but oh no, nobody wants to talk about that. We just want more limp wristed taxes, empty threats of apocalyptic rains and droughts, and banal rhetoric from politicians.

It doesn't matter whether it's getting hot or cold, putting insane amounts of Co2 in the sky is dumb and at the very least ruins our view of the stars, at the very most will bring down mankind. But the way to fix it is not bickering about .01 of a degree here and 20cm of ice there, but actually implementing renewable energy; which we have to do anyway at some point in the next 50 years.

doesn't seem like it matters. The real problem is we're going to run out of fossil fuels anyway, but oh no, nobody wants to talk about that. We just want more limp wristed taxes, empty threats of apocalyptic rains and droughts, and banal rhetoric from politicians.

It doesn't matter whether it's getting hot or cold, putting insane amounts of Co2 in the sky is dumb and at the very least ruins our view of the stars, at the very most will bring down mankind. But the way to fix it is not bickering about .01 of a degree here and 20cm of ice there, but actually implementing renewable energy; which we have to do anyway at some point in the next 50 years.
Carbon Dioxide ruins your view of the stars?? (Invisible, odorless gas).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carbon Dioxide ruins your view of the stars?? (Invisible, odorless gas).

perhaps it makes the tree grow taller in his backyard, thus obscuring his view.

Do you know how much warmer the world would get if humans burnt all the fossil fuels they can currently mine? There are also other reserves that are just out of reach but tech could improve to allow us to get them ... care to guess how warm we could make the world .... not that our civilisation would survive through it.

Do you know how much warmer the world would get if humans burnt all the fossil fuels they can currently mine?

Well we are going to find out one way or another. There is no reason to believe that all those oil reserves aent going to be burnt for fuel.

As countries develop, industry and higher living standards drive up energy use, most often of oil. Thriving economies, such as China and India, are quickly becoming large oil consumers.[28] China has seen oil consumption grow by 8% yearly since 2002, doubling from 1996–2006.[24] In 2008, auto sales in China were expected to grow by as much as 15–20%, resulting in part from economic growth rates of over 10% for five years in a row.
India's oil imports are expected to more than triple from 2005 levels by 2020, rising to 5 million barrels per day (790×103 m3/d).

Do you know how much warmer the world would get if humans burnt all the fossil fuels they can currently mine? There are also other reserves that are just out of reach but tech could improve to allow us to get them ... care to guess how warm we could make the world .... not that our civilisation would survive through it.

The real fun is going to start when the methane starts being released.

And when it is too late, the same morons will stand on rooftops shrieking "we should have been told!!!"

You were and you are.

Ugh, I'm not saying we should do that.

I'm saying all the bickering about whether it's getting hotter or colder is just obstructive. We can't get to actually fixing the problem and putting in place proper renewable energy solutions because everyones too busy looking at temperature charts.

When you need some facts on this issue always be sure to use scientific organization who already has runs on the board

http://climate.nasa.gov/key_indicators

James Hansen, death trains and a dodgy calculator.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nasa_weather_error/

The problem was caught when blogger, Stephen McIntyre of Climate Audit, crunched the numbers from NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies for himself. McIntyre found that apparently an error was affecting the data for the years 2000 through 2006

The data correction reduced the mean US temperature by about 0.15 ºC for the years 2000 through 2006, for an average of 0.66 ºC.

James Hansen, death trains and a dodgy calculator.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nasa_weather_error/

The problem was caught when blogger, Stephen McIntyre of Climate Audit, crunched the numbers from NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies for himself. McIntyre found that apparently an error was affecting the data for the years 2000 through 2006

The data correction reduced the mean US temperature by about 0.15 ºC for the years 2000 through 2006, for an average of 0.66 ºC.

I will take the NASA number crunchers any day over some random blogger hack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back