Ireland beat West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

No thanks, had my QF tickets for quite a while now and Ireland would be a little lacklustre as good as it would see them get through. My preference is that we finish 2nd and play India/Pakistan and NZ can play Ireland.
* that s**t. We can smack the Irish then play India in the semi finals. Will all come down to our match with NZ to determine who finishes top.

It doesn't work like that anymore.

Quite seriously, how does it work? Presumably an application for test status is voted on by existing test nations. If that's true, then India has huge influence. I can imagine only England and South Africa would be firmly in Ireland's corner. I'm not sure how Australia would vote, but i'd say they'd be more inclined to go with them than not. The rest will do what India says, except maybe Pakistan.

If it's just the ICC itself that decides, then you may as well just ask the BCCI what the result will be.

I think a 2 game test series against Ireland would get a fair bit of interest, especially played at smaller venues like Manuka or Hobart.

There's a huge amount of Irish expats in Australia and they are a side easily relatable for most of us, as racist as it seems, I think Aussies crowds would warm to an Irish side way more than a Banger or Zimbabwe side.

Cricket Australia won't make any money selling the TV rights in Ireland. It's why they never host Zimbabwe and probably Bangladesh, and why the 'Big 3' want to play each other more.

Last edited:
Quite seriously, how does it work? Presumably an application for test status is voted on by existing test nations. If that's true, then India has huge influence. I can imagine only England and South Africa would be firmly in Ireland's corner. I'm not sure how Australia would vote, but i'd say they'd be more inclined to go with them than not. The rest will do what India says, except maybe Pakistan.

If it's just the ICC itself that decides, then you may as well just ask the BCCI what the result will be.

As of the Big Three taking over last year, the only boards that matter are the BCCI, ECB and CA.

The executive committee (which makes all the important decisions) consists of five members, and those three boards have a permanent place on the committee.

The BCCI doesn't care about Afghanistan any more than it cares about Ireland. That is to say, not at all. Neither will make them money.

They have put in place a supposed, slightly vague pathway to Test cricket, which involves the winner of the next Intercontinental Cup playing the lowest ranked Test nation in a four 'Test' series. If they win the series, they become a full member (although the existing full member doesn't lose its status). It's a convoluted way to go about it. And even if they do get Test status, the Future Tours Programme has been ripped up, so all series are now bilateral agreements between boards.

And your view leads on the whole to a tournament where it doesnt realistically begin till the QT finals where viewers like yourself are waiting for that rare upset win to get all giddy and excited about. Even then a rare win doesnt lead to qualification. Sure massive underdogs have landed in QT finals and even semi-finals.

It wont happen this year. Big call. I know. :cool:

How confident are you of this now?

The Speaker do Ireland have many bowlers with genuine pace coming through? Apart from Young. I've heard the names Eaglestone and Chase thrown about but I don't have a handle on their bowling. Ireland's one weakness ATM imo is a bowler with genuine pace

The Speaker do Ireland have many bowlers with genuine pace coming through? Apart from Young. I've heard the names Eaglestone and Chase thrown about but I don't have a handle on their bowling. Ireland's one weakness ATM imo is a bowler with genuine pace

Chase is also in the squad, might get a run against UAE but I doubt it.

I believe the short answer is no. I'm not aware of any genuine fast bowlers coming through, although Seldom Seen Kid may know more than I. There are plenty of medium pacers throughout the ranks, but it seem Ireland suffers the same problem England does regarding quicks.

Chase is also in the squad, might get a run against UAE but I doubt it.

I believe the short answer is no. I'm not aware of any genuine fast bowlers coming through, although Seldom Seen Kid may know more than I. There are plenty of medium pacers throughout the ranks, but it seem Ireland suffers the same problem England does regarding quicks.

Asked another bloke who knows his stuff and he threw up the name Mark Adair. Looked him up on cricinfo, 18 year old playing for Wawrickshire seconds so extremely speculative at this stage

Australia, England and India get votes

The rest get what ever bone is thrown to them

Asked another bloke who knows his stuff and he threw up the name Mark Adair. Looked him up on cricinfo, 18 year old playing for Wawrickshire seconds so extremely speculative at this stage

Mark Adair is definitely one to look out for. He plays for Civil Service North in the NCU Premier League. He is very tall for someone so young, has good pace (just going on watching him as we don't have speed guns!) and bowls a really good length. I saw him give Kyle McCallan (one of our best batsmen in domestic and 200+ caps for Ireland) a real working over before getting him out caught behind with one that jagged back from outside off. Unfortunately he was injured for a lot of this season but he will definitely play for Ireland.

How confident are you of this now?

You are a flog.

What kind of person goes and searches the entire cricket board looking for singular post of mine that was completely taken out of context in another discussion in another thread. You obviously have nothing else better to do than to with your life then search for the one post I made mind you several days ago too.

For the record, I did agree during the course of discussion in that thread that the WI are vulnerable to being eliminated.

I had to tone down my initial response to your post, because you complained and ran to the mod with your skirt over your head on my initial reply.

Oh and the WI are not eliminated yet nor have Ireland qualified either. At least if your going to gloat (even though I also felt that the WI are vulnerable) which was your intent wait for the group stage to be completed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are a flog.

What kind of person goes and searches the entire cricket board looking for singular post of mine that was completely taken out of context in another discussion in another thread. You obviously have nothing else better to do than to with your life then search for the one post I made mind you several days ago too.

For the record, I did agree during the course of discussion in that thread that the WI are vulnerable to being eliminated.

I had to tone down my initial response to your post, because you complained and ran to the mod with your skirt over your head on my initial reply.

Oh and the WI are not eliminated yet nor have Ireland qualified either. At least if your going to gloat (even though I also felt that the WI are vulnerable) which was your intent wait for the group stage to be completed.

I asked you a question.

Will be an intriguing group, dont think Pakistan are that much better than Wi, Ire or Zim, so not out of the equation that one of them beats Pak.

I asked you a question.

No you were being a flog. There is a difference. You went searching for a singular post in another thread and decided to being a campaigner is what you are really all about.

If you didnt quote me and take my comment out of context and just asked me the question, that would be a different story and I would have respected that.

Last edited:
Will be an intriguing group, dont think Pakistan are that much better than Wi, Ire or Zim, so not out of the equation that one of them beats Pak.

Pakistan have been decimated by injuries or suspensions. Depends on where the games are played. They should have done a better job last night.

No you were being a flog. There is a difference. You werent searching for a singular post in another thread and decided to being a campaigner is what you are really all about.

If you didnt quote me and take my comment out of context and just asked me the question, that would be a different story and I would have respected that.

There was nothing out of context about it.

I want to know how confident you are now of there being no-one outside the top eight in the quarter finals. Do you overreact to people this badly in real life?

There was nothing out of context about it.

I want to know how confident you are now of there being no-one outside the top eight in the quarter finals. Do you overreact to people this badly in real life?

Because the post you took was from another thread and completely taken out of context. Through the discussion on the topic in that thread I actually agreed that the WI were vulnerable to being eliminated.

Because the post you took was from another thread and completely taken out of context. Through the discussion on the topic in that thread I actually agreed that the WI were vulnerable to being eliminated.

You were telling everyone what a massive waste of time and space the Associates + Zimboks and Bangas were.

My irony meter just exploded

In any case there should be more of posters being held to account when they go hard on something that ends up being way off. Not that it's happened yet here of course

Well when someone takes you out of context and throws a cheap shot at you, then yes a reply is fair game. Especially when the quote was not even in this thread to begin with.

You were telling everyone what a massive waste of time and space the Associates + Zimboks and Bangas were.

I have no problem with the top 2 minnows playing in fact I enjoy it and welcome it and have said so many times. Do we need 6 minnows in the World Cup format. No. This has been corrected for the 2019 world cup.

One of the reasons the WI lost is because of the turmoil that has hit the team for the past 6 months. The loss has come as no surprise. Many on here had predicted them to lose to Ireland.

I have no problem with the top 2 minnows playing in fact I enjoy it and welcome it and have said so many times. Do we need 6 minnows in the World Cup format. No. This has been corrected for the 2019 world cup.

'Top 2 minnows' is simultaneously insulting and unhelpful. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are full member nations, and have far more rights than the Associates.

Well when someone takes you out of context and throws a cheap shot at you, then yes a reply is fair game. Especially when the quote was not even in this thread to begin with.

The thread it was in is locked. In any case, the thread it's in doesn't matter. What is your answer to the question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back