Irish recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fool. Nothing would move forward if people thought like you. Should be a spokesman for depression and it's virtues...
Hell, the majority of rookie listed players don't make it. What's the point?? Stop listing rookies?
No, what I'm saying is that most Irish players don't make it. They essentially cost nothing, they're in their own category so whatever, pick them up. But don't expect them to play. People will soon do hypothetical teams where Hurley'll line up on the half back flank. It's like saying "oh but Grey and Ballard can come in for Neale..." While they both seem like great little footballers, you really can't get too excited – which, essentially, is my problem with most posts on here... they hope too much. It's a bit like saying "we don't need Ryder because Clarke will finally become consistently good and learn to play football outside of the ruck contest." Or that the backline's fine because, who knows, they'll all stay injury free. It's just hope, there's no realism. And I honestly give this Hurley very little chance of debuting and almost none of turning out any good.

People just seem excited to get him. Gigantic indifference from me.

As for depression, that's a pretty serious thing to make light of, especially considering depression isn't even rooted in just being realistic/pessimistic. Which, *, I am.

No, what I'm saying is that most Irish players don't make it. They essentially cost nothing, they're in their own category so whatever, pick them up. But don't expect them to play. People will soon do hypothetical teams where Hurley'll line up on the half back flank. It's like saying "oh but Grey and Ballard can come in for Neale..." While they both seem like great little footballers, you really can't get too excited – which, essentially, is my problem with most posts on here... they hope too much. It's a bit like saying "we don't need Ryder because Clarke will finally become consistently good and learn to play football outside of the ruck contest." Or that the backline's fine because, who knows, they'll all stay injury free. It's just hope, there's no realism. And I honestly give this Hurley very little chance of debuting and almost none of turning out any good.

People just seem excited to get him. Gigantic indifference from me.

As for depression, that's a pretty serious thing to make light of, especially considering depression isn't even rooted in just being realistic/pessimistic. Which, ****, I am.

no one likes a party pooper mate !!! ;)

Good to see were trying it too. He would have to be the biggest Irish recruit so far. All the other ones have been mids and backs basically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOR 196cm and 96kg geez big boy - how is agility and agressiveness.

Tommy Walsh from StK & Sydney was a key forward too, he just boarded the plane home too, 1 way.

IIRC, given Sean's speed, agility and clean hands- they were slating him as a potential midfielder!!

Much as we need KPPs, I would absolutely bloody love this if true! - The cries of "F*** me, Freo's midfield are getting even bigger!" would be worth the entry price alone.

Back flank dasher apparently.

Here's hoping! If he can run, carry, hand-pass and mark at full tilt then given his size and weight he's more than halfway there. Put him into man-on-man contents and free Jonno up to roam the back-line and deliver into the midfield.

...and hey - he can't be a worse kick than Zac.

EDIT: Apparently Freo were also impressed by Sean's kicking as well. Happy days indeed if it all pans out. Can't comment on his skill with a Sherrin, but he can certainly hoist the round ball a fair way- see links below.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...l/hurley-set-for-australia-move-30130088.html

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know how much training he's done since he was here last year. It might just amount to a forgotten Sherrin, still sitting somewhere in the bottom of a suitcase or it might be he's been kicking and handling the ball regularly, watching games, getting some informal tutoring and keeping in touch with Fremantle?

Who knows but 12 months to prepare and get your mind set before facing your first AFL preseason in the WA summer might be a big tick in his favour.

Last edited:
It's like saying "oh but Grey and Ballard can come in for Neale..." While they both seem like great little footballers, you really can't get too excited – which, essentially, is my problem with most posts on here... they hope too much.
I bet Essendon thought the same about Barlow as well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back