Irish recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently we're a rich club. We should start using it to our advantage, starting with a - modest in the scheme of things - investment in this kid.

If they think he can possibly make it they should bight the bullet, no doubt. In the scheme of things the cost should not be an issue, and anyway if we have already sent someone over to Ireland twice to watch him, then funded him to come here for a trial, significant investment has already been deemed worthy. He just needs to show his talent, and give great effort.

Wut?

The broke ass clubs are doing this. Norf even has a seppo on their list! And we couldn't afford it?
Did you see the AFL article where Collingwood went after the "broke" teams sending their players to the US for training. Good value.
Financial costs are the only reason not to, I believe it's the reason we haven't dabbled in the Irish experiment until now.
I can only assume you are referring to the fact that all our surplus money goes to the WAFL as the Irish are so silky they can dodge the cap.

I meant in terms of weighing up the price and the possibility of reward for a 5-6 figure investment once all the figures are added up. They'd most probably not identified anything worth gambling on that wouldn't be seen as a waste of time. Of course from a remuneration aspect it's affordable, that much is never a question for us, fortunately. However, It's still hard for us fans on the other side of the fence not to just see it as the club investing frivolously, as if they're simply spending someone else's money.

I meant in terms of weighing up the price and the possibility of reward for a 5-6 figure investment once all the figures are added up. They'd most probably not identified anything worth gambling on that wouldn't be seen as a waste of time. Of course from a remuneration aspect it's affordable, that much is never a question for us, fortunately. However, It's still hard for us fans on the other side of the fence not to just see it as the club investing frivolously, as if they're simply spending someone else's money.

I guess I think the draft is always a bit of a lottery, so the more tickets you have, the better chance of winning. We have had some excellent prospects amount to nothing. But now at least we are leaving less to chance with an excellent development program in place.

It's not just salary, it's ongoing coaching investment, cultural fit will he hang around while struggling with a new game, skill development, appetite for contest etc. Club doing due diligence and using all the time available to them and will make an informed call in mid December.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just salary, it's ongoing coaching investment, cultural fit will he hang around while struggling with a new game, skill development, appetite for contest etc. Club doing due diligence and using all the time available to them and will make an informed call in mid December.

That and the fact he's starting fresh and the possibility of home sickness is there. The pies irish recruit went home didn't he? although he's returned since.

We already have 44 players on the list. The team to support those players is already assembled as is the all the equipment. The extra wear and tear is 1 in 45 and the extra time the people spend is going to be approaching 0. The people hired to support are all full time and with or without Hurly the bill is the same. He has as much chance of fitting is as any of the other new players. After all Yalgoo is about as remote as it gets and the "culture" there is just as different as it is from Ireland. The cost to add Hurley is his salary (for which he won't be on massive money), some flights to Ireland and possibly some initial accommodation assistance. 200k and your done I would think.

If they think he can possibly make it they should bight the bullet, no doubt. In the scheme of things the cost should not be an issue, and anyway if we have already sent someone over to Ireland twice to watch him, then funded him to come here for a trial, significant investment has already been deemed worthy. He just needs to show his talent, and give great effort.

Gaelic?

IMO there is as much risk in the 'go home factor' with an Irish recruit as there is with an indigenous player coming from a remote town or community. There is no risk taking the Irishman on as he doesn't take up a pic on the main list.. Yet we used pick 16 last year on a player who isn't looking like breaking into the 1sts this year.

IMO there is as much risk in the 'go home factor' with an Irish recruit as there is with an indigenous player coming from a remote town or community. There is no risk taking the Irishman on as he doesn't take up a pic on the main list.. Yet we used pick 16 last year on a player who isn't looking like breaking into the 1sts this year.

Apart from Brodie Grundy, no-one after the Simpson pick has set the world alight. Perhaps Hrovat. With hindsight you would have picked a developing tall, but I've still got high hopes for Simpson. It took Walters 3-4? years to appreciate the work required.

Apart from Brodie Grundy, no-one after the Simpson pick has set the world alight. Perhaps Hrovat. With hindsight you would have picked a developing tall, but I've still got high hopes for Simpson. It took Walters 3-4? years to appreciate the work required.
Yeah I have high hopes too. Just fear that if he doesn't get any game time this year, which I personally don't think he is anywhere good enough to real into the team on his own accord and not due to injuries, then his 3rd year could be filled with doubt, insecurities and an end with nothing to show for it. Bring on the Irishman

We are recruiting Hurley .
Only waiting for the ink to dry .
He was put on a plane back to Ireland to meet a prior commitment to his hurly teammates and is getting his things together for a long stay in Fremantle .
The coaches are very impressed with his running and how fast he is learning our game.
The competitive beast in him rises to the surface very quickly which has the coaches singing his praises
when he is challenged . Its all good :thumbsu:

so if we recruit him, what has to happen for thin to play a senior game? does someone need to get injured and he gets elevated or can he step right in?

Quite a few new residential developments for Freo in the works, the club should hit that s**t up, good idea I reckon.

It's sometimes not that easy, I know GWS had to include the value of the apartments they were leasing to their young players in the salary cap, and we'd probably have to do the same.

And BOTR - he'd be a Cat B rookie list player, which works the same as the rest of the players on the rookie list AFAIK. He'd need to get elevated to the senior list before he gets a game. But i'd imagine there's no chance of that in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back