Irish recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon He will merely be a trinket.

It takes a very, very good player to get a game in this Freo side and in three years time we have the next wave of young guns pressing up;
Like Smith, Taberner, Apeness, APearce, Grey, Wood , Vande and Ballard.
Hurley will have to be exceptional.

I reckon He will merely be a trinket.

It takes a very, very good player to get a game in this Freo side and in three years time we have the next wave of young guns pressing up;
Like Smith, Taberner, Apeness, APearce, Grey, Wood , Vande and Ballard.
Hurley will have to be exceptional.

Chances are you are correct - what is the overall ratio of success anway, especially for late draft talls. But when you add in that Smith is now going to miss 2 months for an innocuous change in direction tearing his hamstring badly - which raises questions if he is going to be prone to that in the future as well - it only makes sense to get as many as we can especially if they come for no list spot cost like Hurley.

Chances are you are correct - what is the overall ratio of success anway, especially for late draft talls. But when you add in that Smith is now going to miss 2 months for an innocuous change in direction tearing his hamstring badly - which raises questions if he is going to be prone to that in the future as well - it only makes sense to get as many as we can especially if they come for no list spot cost like Hurley.

Agree, but the point still remains these international recruits are almost a waste of time and resources with not having played the game to begin with.
It is AFL PR and that's about it.

The club has already had him train with the guys so they know what they are getting .
Lloyd and his crew were rapt with his performance when he was at Fremantle oval and so disappointed that he went home and not returned since .
I was be very surprised that we didn't get him to sign before he left .

I would say our representatives will be talking to him during the tour in the UK and would have a contract in their hand ready to be signed by him .

The club has already had him train with the guys so they know what they are getting .
Lloyd and his crew were rapt with his performance when he was at Fremantle oval and so disappointed that he went home and not returned since .

I would say our representatives will be talking to him during the tour in the UK and would have a contract in their hand ready to be signed by him .

Ahhhh couldabeen , you're a classic.

You were busting your arse to convince us all that the ink was still wet on the contract before he left for the Blarney last year.

keep trying mate.

Ahhhh couldabeen , you're a classic.

You were busting your arse to convince us all that the ink was still wet on the contract before he left for the Blarney last year.

keep trying mate.
The reaction I got both from him and the club official at the time was as I stated and I'm standing by the post I made .
I'm prepared to take the praise when we sign him .
I'll bet you a pint on it .

The reaction I got both from him and the club official at the time was as I stated and I'm standing by the post I made .
I never welch.I'll take the bet and buy one back!!
I did think he looked a bit likely but maybe Mora,Taberner,big Pearce,The Ape,Fyfe et al have got his offer covered?

We invest a lot of time and money into our rookies through our academy, and while he has shown promise and the ability to adapt to our game the "Go Home" factor is the real issue. History shows a lot of the Irish recruits get homesick and go back home. By giving him a taste of what is involved and allowing him to return and play Gaelic football for another year, he has the chance to evaluate if he really wants to pursue an AFL career. From what I saw when he trained with us he has the physical attributes to succeed, so hopefully he commits to giving it a full on go after his season ends in Ireland and becomes a good option for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make it sound like we are auditioning for him.

Again, old mate, you swallow everything you are told hook, line and sinker, and then expect us to follow suit.

I reckon that you'd be a dead set patsy at poker. ;)

I'd happily buy you a pint or 3, and I hope that I get the chance to do so. :)

He probably got home and was diagnosed with sun stroke and a healthy dose of skin cancel. Not just any foreigner can handle the Perth summer.

Again, old mate, you swallow everything you are told hook, line and sinker, and then expect us to follow suit.

I reckon that you'd be a dead set patsy at poker. ;)

I'd happily buy you a pint or 3, and I hope that I get the chance to do so. :)
Whitey youve mellowed
I can't stand it .
Sharpen the pen and add more lead please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back