Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Saw 2 15-16 yr old kids messing about in the gym today and one was showing the other how to do squats and while he was going down the other guy kicked the dude square in the balls from behind and started laughing.....that could've ended up really really bad.

I would have had a go at them.

Feb 6, 2008
C-Town
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal FC and Arizona Cardinals
I would have had a go at them.

I was contemplating it but seeing these idiots walk around treating the equipment like it was a play centre made it obvious that any advice apart from get the **** out would've fallen on deaf ears.

TimmehJC"

Club Legend
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Re: Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Yeah, that's the effect I'm getting.

peter's right, it's better than B.O. but it's to prevent perspiration and add a scent, not to drown out every other sense known to man.

Fine if it is antiperspirant, but its most likely just the smelly lynx spray anyway. Most good antiperspirants don't have that strong a scent anyway.

Syphoncom

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
Pretty sure the smith machine should be banned in all gyms.

I actually don't mind it for CGBP, especially without a spotter. I feel like I hit the tris more than the chest which inevitably kicks in when I'm benching, regardless of hand spacing. It's not like it's a huge difference or that using a barbell isn't good (I still do sometimes), but it has its uses.

Oh, and for calf raises when there's no calf machine (and our leg press is broken atm too :D).

Edit: And sometimes declines, if you cbf using a regular bench, squat rack and bumping the seat up.

But yeah, they should tell people not to do s**t like that.

GeeUUess

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2011
Essendon
AFL Club
GWS
Ok, the curling in the power rack jokes were funny on the third and fourth page of the 1st thread...but now its just old - we all know it happens. Its not n00bs telling the joke either but people who would have seen it already.

New thread: irritating people/things that annoy in the irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym thread! :eek:

micksolo

Debutant
Feb 10, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Smith machines are good for chin ups and horizontal reverse rows.

But squatting or bench pressing in them is a complete waste of time.

micksolo

Debutant
Feb 10, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's the way most people bench and squat at my gym

I gotta admit, I used to do it too when I had no idea what I was doing so I only really just feel sorry for them rather than thinking they're idiots.

Once you actually spend some time studying weightlifting you pretty quickly realise how ineffective it is, not to mention extremely stressful on your joints. Plus it creates muscular imbalance as you're not using a lot of the smaller muscles to balance the weight, just the big muscles to push.

starting to get over the people who leave their phone, towel, keys and bottle on equipment and walk away for 10 minutes. they come back and act like they're shocked that someone jumped onto their machine or bench. what do they expect?

This, I deliberately start using it...

Especially when I see this old fella do stupidly slow giant sets, literally won't make his way back to the first exercise for 10 minutes.

deeman12

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
home
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
demons
A guy at my gym has a really enormous upper body but a very slender lower body.

Just doesn't make sense why guys don't train their legs. It's not a nice look.

micksolo

Debutant
Feb 10, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
A guy at my gym has a really enormous upper body but a very slender lower body.

Just doesn't make sense why guys don't train their legs. It's not a nice look.

The Dermie look, thought that went out of fashion in the late 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back