Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like soft hands, gym gloves double as riding gloves.

TBH I started wearing gloves after I tore the skin on one hand doing deadlifts - don't want to do that again.

I actually would prefer soft hands too; I hate picking things up, shaking hands or whatever and feeling really rough skin on my hands. Having said that, I couldn't lift in the gym wearing gloves. I much prefer being able to feel the dumbbells/barbells without something in between and it's annoying to have it as an issue.

I did change how I was holding the bars recently however and noticed a big difference to the point where it's just a slight bump now. Maybe this is an issue for some people? Different for girls though, as it's probably even less desirable (and socially acceptable, rightly or wrongly).

You use anti-bacterial soap and tell people to stop freaking out about germs? :confused:
Most soaps are anti-bacterial these days…

People were saying about how they use anti-bacterial wipes and stuff whilst at the gym but, in my opinion, washing your hands after will suffice.

People were saying about how they use anti-bacterial wipes and stuff whilst at the gym but, in my opinion, washing your hands after will suffice.
I never even think about it...I don't really get sick though, would probably think more about this stuff if I was more susceptible to cold.
I've never trifled with the anti-bacterial soap. Nothing wrong with microbes (apart from the bad ones that are very much in the minority) exposing yourself to them is generally good for the immune system.

I exercised without gym gloves the other day, felt really strange. For some reason felt the weights were easier without gloves, better grip without the leather barrier. Still, prefer them over bare skin :)

i admit i prefer the feel of skin on object most times (except cycling). nothing better than receiving tactile feedback from hands, fingers etc.

I actually would prefer soft hands too; I hate picking things up, shaking hands or whatever and feeling really rough skin on my hands. Having said that, I couldn't lift in the gym wearing gloves. I much prefer being able to feel the dumbbells/barbells without something in between and it's annoying to have it as an issue.

I did change how I was holding the bars recently however and noticed a big difference to the point where it's just a slight bump now. Maybe this is an issue for some people? Different for girls though, as it's probably even less desirable (and socially acceptable, rightly or wrongly).

I call you girly men! Calluses are great.

Crazy - I thought every gym had those wipes? We have tons - it's always clean the only time I don't bother to use it is when I am doing weights with gloves on. No Point.

I can't stand lifting with gloves. Just doesn't seem right. I wouldn't say my hands are rough, they're callused but not dried out.

I don't notice excessive sweat on equipment either but I always put my towel down unde me. I can't stand people that bring a towel that's more like a flannel and just sits behind their head or worse when they don't lay the towel down, just put it on the floor or take up another bench with their towel, bottle and phone while they lift on another one.

Those worried about sweat better not try Brazilian jujitsu ;)

I've never been able to comprehend the people at the gym who never use a towel. It's a very simple thing to do.
a trainer at my old gym a few years back would go around and ask people if they had towels. if they didnt he'd tell them to leave. would always get the groups of young blokes doing weights, sometimes a few times a week. just bring a towel!

a trainer at my old gym a few years back would go around and ask people if they had towels. if they didnt he'd tell them to leave. would always get the groups of young blokes doing weights, sometimes a few times a week. just bring a towel!

i wish my gym enforced that rule

My flexibility is terrible, but after mixing it up with goblet squats, cutting the weight back and using some bottom holds on lighter squats at cptkrk's suggestion, I can now get reasonably deep quite comfortably (still not at the weight of a few months ago when going to parrallel, but imporving).

I know naturally i'm not to flexiable, but i when i squat "deep" i can still get my ass halfway between the ground and parallel maybe fractionally lower. Close enough is good enough!

Been very hesitant about front squats because my wrists are still ****** from an unstrapped boxing session 5 weeks ago. They recommended not doing bodybuilder grip, but it's so much easier and i feel i can control myself much better.

Now i enjoy chucking these in with Zercher's and Back Squats

Yeah i was hesitant too because it can take some getting use to and feel comfortable with. I prefer the crossed arm grip, not flexiable enough (again) to do the clean grip. I went to a different gym last night, 5 star in thomastown, Melbourne, more of a body building gym and they had hack squat machine, more equipment and i got a much better leg work out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know naturally i'm not to flexiable, but i when i squat "deep" i can still get my ass halfway between the ground and parallel maybe fractionally lower. Close enough is good enough!
Yep - after months I can get deeper than I otherwise thought - certainly feel it in the abs/inside of the thighs alot more now.

Yeah i was hesitant too because it can take some getting use to and feel comfortable with. I prefer the crossed arm grip, not flexiable enough (again) to do the clean grip.
Weeks ago I tried front squats, used the clean grip and my forearms were sore for a couple of weeks. Again, forearm flexibility an issue.

[quote="saj_21,]

Yeah i was hesitant too because it can take some getting use to and feel comfortable with. I prefer the crossed arm grip, not flexiable enough (again) to do the clean grip. I went to a different gym last night, 5 star in thomastown, Melbourne, more of a body building gym and they had hack squat machine, more equipment and i got a much better leg work out.[/quote]

I'm going to tag along with a mate when he goes to Doherty's and Nitro. Bikie gyms with the juicers :)

If your gym has a Hammer Strength V-Squat Machine, use it. Allows you to focus primarily on getting great reps into the target muscles, rather than having to concentrate on balance and what the bar is doing. Great if you're tall (I'm 6'4") and simply don't have the mechanics and flexibility to squat deep with a barbell. Much easier on the knees than an incline hack squat machine as well. Might not be "hardcore" enough for some who think you "have to" do regular barbell squats, but if you're just trying to build your legs and get the work into your thighs, glutes and hams, then it's hard to beat IMO.

Here's a couple of videos of it if people aren't sure what I'm referring to:

Last edited:

Easy solution for rough hands - rub sorbolene cream onto them before you go to bed every night. Keeps the skin, fingernails and cuticles in great shape. Use it on your feet and elbows if you have rough skin there too. I've been using it since my mid-teens. Can usually pick up a 1L container of it (with a dispenser nozzle on the top) for about $8 at most supermarkets or chemists, and that'll last you for about 4-5 months. Redwin is the brand I use:

redwin_sorbolene_vitamin_e_1l.jpg

At my gym no towel no entry.

Saw a guy (seemed like a first timer) drinking a shake before he'd even started to work out this morning.
Not sure I could work out with a belly full of milk & protein (no doubt it was a brand name like "mega bulk" or something so was 50%+ sugar)

I don't know why anyone would choose not to have a towel at the gym. Surely you'd do it for your own comfort, even if you don't care about anyone else. I mean, everyone sweats don't they?

i agree, everyone sweats. well i dont - not pools or dripping - cause through a skin disorder ive developed a sense to myself. because when i sweat i itch.

If your gym has a Hammer Strength V-Squat Machine, use it. Allows you to focus primarily on getting great reps into the target muscles, rather than having to concentrate on balance and what the bar is doing. Great if you're tall (I'm 6'4") and simply don't have the mechanics and flexibility to squat deep with a barbell. Much easier on the knees than an incline hack squat machine as well. Might not be "hardcore" enough for some who think you "have to" do regular barbell squats, but if you're just trying to build your legs and get the work into your thighs, glutes and hams, then it's hard to beat IMO.

Here's a couple of videos of it if people aren't sure what I'm referring to:

I've been watching a few videos on you tube lately from the supps supplier Massive Joes. The guys recommended using that machine facing inwards so back to front i suppose. They said it works the quads a lot better in that position, i haven't used one of those machines so can't say which way is better, hopefully the anytime fitness i'm joining soon has one and i can test it out. I have used a hack squat machine which the back support is more on a 45 degree angle not 60-70 degree like the one in those videos. But to the point i'd definitely use one of those machines if my gym has one.

More to the point of the thread. Last night i left my keys on top of the lockers like i always do and some nuffy decided to hand them into lost property. Only took me 2 mins to find a PT and they had my keys in one of the consulting rooms. I know the person thought they were doing the right thing, but people leave stuff around the gym all the time, like leaving keys on or under a bench whilst going to get a drink. I don't touch other people's stuff lying around i will let the PT's working there to collect what they see as lost property. But keys left on top of a group of lockers about 6ft off the ground is a hard spot to lose your keys.

I've been watching a few videos on you tube lately from the supps supplier Massive Joes. The guys recommended using that machine facing inwards so back to front i suppose. They said it works the quads a lot better in that position, i haven't used one of those machines so can't say which way is better, hopefully the anytime fitness i'm joining soon has one and i can test it out. I have used a hack squat machine which the back support is more on a 45 degree angle not 60-70 degree like the one in those videos. But to the point i'd definitely use one of those machines if my gym has one.

Yeah you can use it facing inwards too if you like. Just offers a slightly different emphasis that way. As I said, it's easier on the knees than the incline hack squat too.

I go to an Anytime Fitness as well. Check out the one you intend to join on their website. They have virtual tours of all their gyms, that show you all the equipment they have. Once you've been a member for 30 days at your "home" gym, you can go to any one you like as well, if another one has a specific piece of equipment that your local one doesn't.

More to the point of the thread. Last night i left my keys on top of the lockers like i always do and some nuffy decided to hand them into lost property. Only took me 2 mins to find a PT and they had my keys in one of the consulting rooms. I know the person thought they were doing the right thing, but people leave stuff around the gym all the time, like leaving keys on or under a bench whilst going to get a drink. I don't touch other people's stuff lying around i will let the PT's working there to collect what they see as lost property. But keys left on top of a group of lockers about 6ft off the ground is a hard spot to lose your keys.

I can see why someone might have assumed it to be lost property. If there's lockers there, most people would put their keys inside (assuming they're car/house keys, and not keys to the actual locker).

I can see why someone might have assumed it to be lost property. If there's lockers there, most people would put their keys inside (assuming they're car/house keys, and not keys to the actual locker).

The reason I don't put them in the lockers is because some of the lockers have on occasions, locked only to stay locked.

Easy solution for rough hands - rub sorbolene cream onto them before you go to bed every night. Keeps the skin, fingernails and cuticles in great shape. Use it on your feet and elbows if you have rough skin there too. I've been using it since my mid-teens. Can usually pick up a 1L container of it (with a dispenser nozzle on the top) for about $8 at most supermarkets or chemists, and that'll last you for about 4-5 months. Redwin is the brand I use:

redwin_sorbolene_vitamin_e_1l.jpg
Also good for a cheeky pull before bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back