Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to lie I wear compression tights bare.

If you're not looking at the floor, the roof or your eyes in the mirror you're looking in the wrong place anyway

what happens if someone who doesnt like compression tights worn bare happens to be looking into the large mirror and compression wearing guy walks past?

Generally, the music. One of the frequent songs is "Happy" by Pharrell. However. On Friday this came on instead. I've never seen more people look so confused. It was absolutely hilarious.

negative, took it off as soon as he was finished the curls to do cable crossover bicep curls

Had a bloke in my gym the other day doing rack pulls/shrug. i say shrug because the catches in the squat rack were sit half way up his thigh so was a low range of motion. He had 30kgs on each side of the barbell. Then went on to do every other exercise in his belt, including some very light weight seated DB curls.

Personally i think belts should be used for blokes squatting or lifting some serious weight, or someone with back injuries. Anyone in between should allow the big lifts to build a stronger core (although you could argue someone with pre existing injuries should not use a belt to build more core strength)

Another thing is blokes lifting heavy with low range of motion, now i know this can be used as training technique for some long term trainers. But these blokes could of well and truly done with some full range of motion. If you can't squat to at least 90 degrees you aren't doing it right.

Personally i think belts should be used for blokes squatting or lifting some serious weight, or someone with back injuries. Anyone in between should allow the big lifts to build a stronger core (although you could argue someone with pre existing injuries should not use a belt to build more core strength)

i think therein lies a conundram

Sort of agree with saj_21 . I've a bulging disc and slowly working my front squats up gives a great core workout. When I started doing them I had sorer abs the next day the first few times then ever the next day after 'pure' ab exercises.

I was thinking about this at the gym this morning and i thought a good compromise would be doing warm up sets with no belt, do 1-2 working sets with a belt off and then the remaining sets use a belt. When fatigue sets in and form drops fractionally this is when injuries will occur or reoccur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about this at the gym this morning and i thought a good compromise would be doing warm up sets with no belt, do 1-2 working sets with a belt off and then the remaining sets use a belt. When fatigue sets in and form drops fractionally this is when injuries will occur or reoccur.

i think you are right. is that bloke a regular? perhaps you could have a quiet word with him.

i think you are right. is that bloke a regular? perhaps you could have a quiet word with him.

He is a regular now, he was using the belt this morning to do 5kg cable lat raises. I'm not really one to hand out advice, he knows what he is doing but just over the top with the use of a belt haha.

I avoid belting for anything I can. I don't like to rely on it and don't like the concept of always using a belt for say 90%+ because I'm not sure how that compares with other lifts. If I'm feeling a bit iffy and it's the last set of deads though, I'll pop it on.

Any studies done on how belts change the physiology/muscle activation of lifts?
Not sure - but I feel so much more stable and on Squats especially can actually let my legs and glutes push in a single stable direction and lift more weight.
Thinking back to squatting heavy without a belt and it's amazing how much a little wobble in your core can through the force of your muscles out and cause you to struggle to lift the weight.

Each to their own when it comes to using a belt. I think we can all agree it should be used for big compound lifts, not accessory exercises.

Same bloke was back in action this morning, using his belt on arms day. The peak of the belt useless-ness, lying on a flat bench doing 25kg skull crushers.

Each to their own when it comes to using a belt. I think we can all agree it should be used for big compound lifts, not accessory exercises.

Same bloke was back in action this morning, using his belt on arms day. The peak of the belt useless-ness, lying on a flat bench doing 25kg skull crushers.

If he was doing standing overhead lifts on arm day, I could see why a belt may be used, but yeah, lying lifts, it's totally unnecessary, because the bench provides all the lower back support that you need.

There's this asian guy at my gym who is clearly unaware and wears one the entire time he is in the gym. From the warm up to his last set. It's too common haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back