Computers & Internet Is a laptop or an Ipad better. ? Any difference ?

Remove this Banner Ad

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excuse me if there is already a question on this. Haven't seen it . Just wondering what the difference is for occasional use when not using a home pc ? As in away from home ? Thanks

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Excuse me if there is already a question on this. Haven't seen it . Just wondering what the difference is for occasional use when not using a home pc ? As in away from home ? Thanks

Who uses a home PC these days ?

To your question, Laptop all the way.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It entirely depends on what you need to use it for. You're going to be able to do more things with a laptop, but that's going to be more cumbersome than an iPad. If you need to do any kind of actual work with what you're using, such as a lot of word processing or something, a laptop is going to be a lot better. If you just need something that can browse the web, play some media, and can take photos/videos, and want something that's easier to carry around, then the iPad, or tablet of some sort, would be better.

You could go for one of those convertible deals, like I've seen Lenovo produce, which can function as both a laptop and a stand-alone tablet. Perhaps if you want the best of both worlds, that could be a route to explore.

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Ummmm, I do:$... and a laptop which is old . Hence the looking for an upgrade

It entirely depends on what you need to use it for. You're going to be able to do more things with a laptop, but that's going to be more cumbersome than an iPad. If you need to do any kind of actual work with what you're using, such as a lot of word processing or something, a laptop is going to be a lot better. If you just need something that can browse the web, play some media, and can take photos/videos, and want something that's easier to carry around, then the iPad, or tablet of some sort, would be better.

You could go for one of those convertible deals, like I've seen Lenovo produce, which can function as both a laptop and a stand-alone tablet. Perhaps if you want the best of both worlds, that could be a route to explore.

Haven't heard of these until I read replies in this thread Sound good Will look. :) Thanks..
Depends. An iPad is more portable and easier to carry around, however it lacks the versatility of a notebook.

Why not get a mix of both? http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-au/products/surface-pro-3 I highly recommend these tablets.

Thanks I will

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

To your question, Laptop all the way.

Me. After having the laptops for the last few years, I missed having the PC with a nice big monitor. Hey presto! I went and bought one a couple of months ago. So nice having one again rather than the pissy laptop.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I recently just brought a new laptop and while looking around I must admit the new home PC are pretty awesome. Its just not practical for what I wanted it for. I thought home computers were old fashion like eating at the table with family :)

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Me. After having the laptops for the last few years, I missed having the PC with a nice big monitor. Hey presto! I went and bought one a couple of months ago. So nice having one again rather than the pissy laptop.
Same here have a desktop, hate laptops. Also have an Ipad though which is perfect for when going away.

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Same here have a desktop, hate laptops. Also have an Ipad though which is perfect for when going away.
I only want something to take away . So with your ipad, is it ok for googling, emails, B F , F B etc a few photos? That is all I require in another portable one , as when home the pc is great

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I only want something to take away . So with your ipad, is it ok for googling, emails, B F , F B etc a few photos? That is all I require in another portable one , as when home the pc is great
Yeah that's pretty much exactly all I use it for and maybe a few puzzle games, I was a bit sceptical about getting one at first but I like the thing now. Very user friendly too.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
Normally on a home PC but recently bought a cheap laptop to take on holidays or weekends away. Its was only $350 so I cant expect a whole lot but it is considerably slower than what I am used to and the touch pad mouse thing is the biggest PITA to use and sometimes your hand will get too close to it whilst typing and cause the cursor to go anywhere. If getting a laptop get a touchscreen, my main requirement was something that had a few usb ports but in hindsight I should of looked at different tablets which can attatch a keyboard.

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for the advice and opinions, every one. Have cleaned up my 3 year old laptop and it may be a LITTLE better, . The shop is going to go through it again for me next week and see how it runs then If necessary I will get another laptop, I think at the moment So thank you. Having said that, I did look into the combined laptop and ipad thing. could be good for the future. :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back