Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe if the population doubles. Even if Sydney started pumping out AFL players like Melbourne I'm not convinced we've got enough for more than 20 teams.

The NFL and NBA are the peak leagues for their sports. The NFL draws from all of the US plus a tiny few from other countries. The NBA is all of the US plus a heavy European influence. Of course there are some gun Europeans in Europe but the best of the best make the move.

In both of those sports despite the millions of players from good development programs (college and HS sports) there still isn't the balance for 32 and 30 teams respectively. About 6 of each should really fold but for financial reasons the leagues aren't going to shrink.

Of course in the NFL a lot of that is QB related more than any other position, but that's another discussion.

you're probably right but I long for the day the AFL becomes a national sport rather than something a few states follow

Hardly anyone outside of Brisbane or Gold Coast follows AFL let alone even acknowledges it's existence. We are a long way off of being a real national comp.

For the most part the American leagues are 1 club to 1 state, shutting down a club wouldn't necessarily Bring in more money.
Yeah that's my point, regardless of playing talent no rich guys are giving away their cash cows. All clubs make owners millions and/or are worth millions. The Milwaukee Bucks sold for 600 or 700 million or something like that. But in terms of pure playing talent there are always 6 or so NBA teams tanking and pretty useless. The same with NFL teams. Even with an influx of talent for NSW and QLD it would only fill out 18 or 20 teams is my point. So I don't want to see a third SA team any time soon which is how this conversation started.

To further hijack this thread though if their was a third SA team they'd more than likely take Melbourne's NT sponsorship and play a game in Darwin (which I hate) and in Alice Springs (which I thought was a great venue).

Tassie should have gotten a gig before gws or gold coast but Hawthorn has too much invested in Tasmania. And they wont let Hawthorn fold or merge now as they were pushing for in the mid 90's. If they brought in a N.T and Tas team and Brisbane being successful again and there would be a decent national comp

Tassie should have gotten a gig before gws or gold coast but Hawthorn has too much invested in Tasmania. And they wont let Hawthorn fold now

I still think both teams attendances will go up next year. I can see the Crows averaging 49500 to 50000 per game and with Ports awesome draw against high drawing clubs will definitely average at least 47000.

If this happens for the next 3 or 4 years and the clubs waiting lists get longer and longer, i can see talk about expanding capacity to grow.

A 5000 seat extension of the Eastern stand would be the easiest to do (take it right up to the scoreboard) & take capacity up to 58,800.

I still think both teams attendances will go up next year. I can see the Crows averaging 49500 to 50000 per game and with Ports awesome draw against high drawing clubs will definitely average at least 47000.

If this happens for the next 3 or 4 years and the clubs waiting lists get longer and longer, i can see talk about expanding capacity to grow.

A 5000 seat extension of the Eastern stand would be the easiest to do (take it right up to the scoreboard) & take capacity up to 58,800.
Nah, if those numbers come to fruition I think the Redlegs should get a licence.

Tassie should have gotten a gig before gws or gold coast but Hawthorn has too much invested in Tasmania. And they wont let Hawthorn fold or merge now as they were pushing for in the mid 90's. If they brought in a N.T and Tas team and Brisbane being successful again and there would be a decent national comp

To be fair I'm not exactly sure how Hawthorn will be any closer to folding / merging if the AFL removed Tasmania from us tomorrow?

Your thoughts on this matter?

Adelaide Oval capacity is spot on what Adelaide needs for the 2 AFL clubs and Cricket. if the northern end was developed like the southern end it would increase the capacity to 61,000 and would be too big in my opinion. currently the situation is tickets for the footy in Adelaide are the hottest item in town because many of the games are sell outs. This is a venue holders delight because demand is high with limited seating. if you increase seating less games will sell out and people will be less enthusiastic buying tickets and memberships and crowd numbers will more than likely go down rather than up. in 10 years time if both clubs have significantly large waiting lists for season tickets it might be worth looking into weather an upgrade is feasible.

As for Norwood getting into the AFL a lot would have to change with the stadium deals at Adelaide Oval for that to happen. The SANFL needs to bugger off and get out of the way, Port and the Crows are not making the money they deserve at Adelaide Oval level lone Norwood being able to make money at Adelaide Oval. Norwood would attract 30,000 crowds at Adelaide Oval but they would need to have a favourable stadium deal to be sustainable.

To be fair I'm not exactly sure how Hawthorn will be any closer to folding / merging if the AFL removed Tasmania from us tomorrow?

Your thoughts on this matter?
They wouldnt fold or merge now they are too successful and have a strong supporter base but if Tas were lucky enough to bring in a team into the comp surely they would lose a sponsor,some members and their home games played down there. I'm not sure how it would pan out but obviously Hawthorn has a vested interest in Tas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowds won't be dropping off next year, they will increase next year. I can see the Crows averaging 50,000 & Port will average 47,000.

As Adelaide has a membership waiting list for the first time since 2007 and Port for the first time ever.

Lets just see how the crowds attend when one of the teams is having a shitty season. I suggest holding onto the tarps until further notice.

Adelaide had a shitty season, to finish 10th with an 11-11 Record is a crappy season. With the players we had and with 6 close losses it was our worst season in about 6 years and we had record crowds and membership.

Demand outstrips supply? Increase the price.

I think if they had more seats, the Port and Crows games would be able to fill the seats but I think the current amount of seats is good enough.

Back