Is Ballantyne our most important player?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say our side of the score sheet had something to do with his absence from about half time.

I'm sure we were really effective forward of centre...

with NO KPF.

Against Carlton.

Seems pretty friggin' clear to me.
Carlton were only down a goal at QT and that ended up being the final margin.

They then dominated the second quarter yet couldn't convert.

Pavlich was still on the ground during this period.

Carlton were only down a goal at QT and that ended up being the final margin.

They then dominated the second quarter yet couldn't convert.

Pavlich was still on the ground during this period.

Nice omission. And what happened in the second half?

What am I omitting?

You tell me.
How many goals did our key forwards kick? I've heard that they're pretty useful in the finals.

We kicked 8 goals from the midfield... 8!! We got 1 from a backman. We got 3 from a small forward. And nothing from Clarke. What do you reckon would have happened against a decent opposition?

So I reiterate, is Pav really outside our top 5 most important players?

P.S. If it wasn't clear, you're omitting the fact that we scored half our goals in the third of the match that Pav was on the field.

P.P.S. Lets make it even clearer. Based on our performance in this game, do you genuinely think that Pav is NOT in our 5 most important players? Considering Sonny was the only one missing from the 22 that played? Was it just poor luck that our attack misfired so badly after Pav went off?

I think Pavlich is in the top five most important players because of the role he plays, but I don't think he is in the top five best players.

I think Pavlich is in the top five most important players because of the role he plays, but I don't think he is in the top five best players.

That's funny. I could have sworn you've changed your tune from something you said previously... might have been in this very thread.

Oh, here it is.

That doesn't mean he's top five at the club. He's important structurally sure, but if he wasn't available, Kepler or similar would be there.

And before you try the obvious, dodgy out... re-read the title of the thread. We didn't misunderstand each other. It's about the top 5 MOST IMPORTANT players for the club. Not the best.

You're not stupid Clay. Not by a long shot. Don't pretend to be.

That's funny. I could have sworn you've changed your tune from something you said previously... might have been in this very thread.

Oh, here it is.

And before you try the obvious, dodgy out... re-read the title of the thread. We didn't misunderstand each other. It's about the top 5 MOST IMPORTANT players for the club. Not the best.

You're not stupid Clay. Not by a long shot. Don't pretend to be.
I haven't changed my tune at all.

The key forward position is very important structurally. Pavlich is the best player on the list for that. Does that make him a top five player at the club? No. Does he play one of the most important positions on the ground? Yes.

If it wasn't Pavlich it would be Kepler. Or Apeness.

Don't be a moron.

I haven't changed my tune at all.

The key forward position is very important structurally. Pavlich is the best player on the list for that. [...] Does he play one of the most important positions on the ground? Yes.

He is the best player on the list for one of the two most important structural roles in our 22. He is daylight ahead of the next best option as a KPF. Absolute daylight.

Does that make him a top five player at the club? No.

If it wasn't Pavlich it would be Kepler. Or Apeness.
Don't be a moron.

How do you reckon those guys would have affected our chances tonight... if they'd played a full game in Pav's spot. Versus what would have happened if Pav had played a full game?

If you think that Kep or Apeness would have fixed up the forward line mess that happened tonight, then you're a moron. You can't drop in a kid or an entertaining cult hero and think they'll make up for one of the best (and most versatile) key forwards in modern times. Especially considering the criticality of those positions (FF, CHF) to our chances of winning a premiership.

If you really think those guys will be able to deliver us a premiership, with the team we have today (minus Pav) then you're a moron.

Last edited:
If you really think those guys will be able to deliver us a premiership, with the team we have today (minus Pav) then you're a moron.
Pretty empty statement.

There are about 10 players that if the side was without it would not be able to win a premiership. Off the top of my head, Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow, Ballantyne, Walters, Sandilands and McPharlin are all in that group of players that without one of them Freo would not go near it.

I would not bracket Pavlich in the top five of that group.

Pretty empty statement.

There are about 10 players that if the side was without it would not be able to win a premiership. Off the top of my head, Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow, Ballantyne, Walters, Sandilands and McPharlin are all in that group of players that without one of them Freo would not go near it.

I would not bracket Pavlich in the top five of that group.
True.

But as to the last, that's where we differ. I would put him in the top 5... along with sandi, fyfe, hill and balla.

Mundy and sonny might go close to pushing him out of my top 5 most important, but not quite.

Difference of opinion, but that's fine. The forum would be boring if we all thought the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back