Is Brad Hill the best running kick inside 50 player we got?

Remove this Banner Ad

jaitachi

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brad Hill's ability to run like 30-50 metres and caress the ball into his teammates hands are like insane skill wise.. for me no one comes close to him.. every single time he does it.. he goes on a run.. long or short and then bang! kicks it perfectly to his teammate.. usually he caresses it instead of kicking a bullet so his teammate would havta b a klutz not to take a mark from him.. hes just that good.. i mean i reckon a supporter could run forward and hell just kick it to us and all we havta do is have our hands out / or arms and the ball will fall into our teams centremeter milliemeter perfect.. hes been doing it for the last 1 and a bit years now.. Hes my pick for best running kick inside 50.. no one comes close .. well close but not to his standard.. i swear ive seen him miss a target 1-3 times max when hes running and kicking it inside 50 to the forwards.. i wonder if his teammates think the same..

Imagine they see Hill running and about to kick inside 50.. so all they gotta do is run and hell put the ball where you run to.. or hell make you run to the perfect place to take a mark.. amazing i swear.. no one better in the game ..

Ive had this on my mind for a while now.. finally decided to post it.. he deserves it.. damn hes good.. he makes our team so much better with his inside 50's... wish he could kick 10-15+ every game.. thatll b 10-15 set shots for goal, and with Gunston Breust Poppy and sometimes Roughy and Cyril, a set shot put it in the bank for a goal.. (of course other midfielders too like lewis burgers hodge mitchell(not) and others)

Birchall for mine. Kicking looks a bit ugly but his DE % is usually outrageous.

I agree. Birchall is insanely efficient with the ball. Hilly's great as well, but he can tend to shank a few. It does look fantastic when he drills a pass though (2014 gf to Roughy was pure gold).

Last edited:
Brad Hill is one of the best short kickers in our team. Rough and Gunston have already named him as the best delivery of the ball going inside 50. He's good at spotting up a target and rarely does he waste a possession.

On a similarly topic, how often does Cyril not hit a target?

When he's chipping to someone running straight he's fine but when he darts around the corner and kicks around his body I feel over 50% of the time he hits it too low and flat and it either bounces 2 - 3 metres in front of the leading player or just behind him.

This is hard. Some of the forwards are very good at this. Rioli is sensational at this. Suckers can be great and when Roughy is up the field he can be deadly accurate. This thread just makes me love Hawthorn more (when we play well). We have become so darn good at this. Were better last year though

On a similarly topic, how often does Cyril not hit a target?

When he's chipping to someone running straight he's fine but when he darts around the corner and kicks around his body I feel over 50% of the time he hits it too low and flat and it either bounces 2 - 3 metres in front of the leading player or just behind him.

Surely YOU are not serious?

Sizzle has the best I50 retention possession rate league wide, according to Champion Data in 2014....Only Brent Harvey comes close at over 64%, while Cyril sits at 66%....No other player league wide, has better than a 60% retention rate going inside 50 meters outside of these 2 players overall, as at the end of 2014!

Ive had this on my mind for a while now.. finally decided to post it.. he deserves it.. damn hes good.. he makes our team so much better with his inside 50's... wish he could kick 10-15+ every game.. thatll b 10-15 set shots for goal, and with Gunston Breust Poppy and sometimes Roughy and Cyril, a set shot put it in the bank for a goal.. (of course other midfielders too like lewis burgers hodge mitchell(not) and others)

You're right....His poise with the ball in hand is exceptional after going for a bit of a Run....Very few players league wide have that capacity.

Has that happy knack of looking ungainly, when all the while, he is in fact, very balanced & composed....He's a paradox to be sure.

Hill is very good but generally his run creates space in the forward line so his kicks are generally into space. Guys like Breust, Burgoyne and Birchall are all very good at making passes into 50 in tougher situations. Honorable mentions to Suckling and Hodge who are the most brilliant in our team but can misfire or attempt passes that are too difficult and get intercepted. Rioli is very effective also but I have felt his delivery inside 50 has been a bit off this year.

Across the team we have a good mix of players and the types of forward 50 entries they are most effective at. Hill is good at what he does but couldn't make the same kinds of passes as the others as regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill is very good but generally his run creates space in the forward line so his kicks are generally into space. Guys like Breust, Burgoyne and Birchall are all very good at making passes into 50 in tougher situations. Honorable mentions to Suckling and Hodge who are the most brilliant in our team but can misfire or attempt passes that are too difficult and get intercepted. Rioli is very effective also but I have felt his delivery inside 50 has been a bit off this year.

Across the team we have a good mix of players and the types of forward 50 entries they are most effective at. Hill is good at what he does but couldn't make the same kinds of passes as the others as regularly.

Yes, one of the problems is that he often takes possession from half back/wing and our running players don't have time to get into the 50 to receive by the time he bursts through.

Other players manage this by drawing players and finding an overlap runner, but he tends to get corralled reasonably easily which can lead to long kicks down the line into the pocket or kicks into space leading to footraces, which is good when our forward line is Bruest/Poppy/Gunston/Cyril/Smith/Ceglar, but not so good when it is Roughie/McEvoy/Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Simpkin, who would much prefer a chest mark on the lead.

(Not that the other guys wouldn't like a chest mark, but they're more likely to run down a loose ball than the other guys)

Surely YOU are not serious?

Sizzle has the best I50 retention possession rate league wide, according to Champion Data in 2014....Only Brent Harvey comes close at over 64%, while Cyril sits at 66%....No other player league wide, has better than a 60% retention rate going inside 50 meters outside of these 2 players overall, as at the end of 2014!

This!

It's why you see Rioli so often around the 50 to 70 meter mark as opposed to crumbing or leading in the 50. That's left to Bruest, who is a better set shot convertor, and Pup who has the mongrel but not the kicking skills to do what Rioli does.

Shaun Burgoyne is the best at everything.

I remember the days when I used to have to defend Burgoyne from some on here who questioned his recruiting because he wasn't racking up massive numbers every week, even wanted him dropped. All throughout his career he's always been a quality over quantity player and I'm glad those days of having to defend him are over.

Just get's better with age. :thumbsu:

Here's hoping Hilly can take Billy Hartung under his wing and steady his kicking a bit. Imagine one on either side of the paddock (with say Smithy bolting up the middle) ready to play suicides with whichever poor schmo gets plonked on them and hitting the F50 leads 80+% of the time.

:):):):):):):):)

Here's hoping Hilly can take Billy Hartung under his wing and steady his kicking a bit. Imagine one on either side of the paddock (with say Smithy bolting up the middle) ready to play suicides with whichever poor schmo gets plonked on them and hitting the F50 leads 80+% of the time.

:):):):):):):):)

I so want this to happen. I get so frustrated watching Hartung do the hard work to be in a position to receive the ball, go on a run through the middle and then miscue the kick when entering the forward 50. If he had the same kicking ability as Hilly, you'd actually find that in the past two games he'd probably have had an extremely large and noticeable impact in setting up scores.

I so want this to happen. I get so frustrated watching Hartung do the hard work to be in a position to receive the ball, go on a run through the middle and then miscue the kick when entering the forward 50. If he had the same kicking ability as Hilly, you'd actually find that in the past two games he'd probably have had an extremely large and noticeable impact in setting up scores.

His kicks when he hasn't gone on a 30+ metre run are what we'd expect, but after his runs his kicks aren't as effective as they could be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back