Is Col Sylvia finished? Yes. Did Col Sylvia ever start?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Col and was really happy to pick him up at a decent price (approx 350k per yr), however I fear the worst and that will result in him being paid out at the end of the year with 1 yr remaining on the contract. Waste of talent :(

Freo supporters, thank yourself lucky you only have / had Col a short time

We had to put up with the disappointment for nigh on 10 years

It's funny usually when somebody says 10 year player, it's a good thing. Not so much in Sylvia's case. He got 10 years based on patches of brilliant. It's actually remarkable that he stayed a one club player. Maybe it was the fear of losing such a talented player to another club.

I wonder if there is a clause in Sylvia's contract that stipulates he gets his own helper monkey.
"I can't wait to eat that monkey....."

We basically handed over blank cheques to every half-arsed forward in the entire AFL, including Travis Cloke, Aaron Black and Jack Reiwoldt to try and gather some support for an aging Matthew Pavlich. When that didn't work we looked at who else was out of contract that could actually take a mark and kick a goal, and Col's name came up at the pub one night.

We didn't need a Colin Sylvia type though, we needed a Frankiln or Hawkins type forward instead.
We were already embarrassed under Mark Harvey when we drafted Jack Anthony as a delisted player back in 2010, and he we go again with "Col the Doll."
But I then look at Jesse White at Collingwood, whom we also handed a blank cheque to, and realise that things could have been much worse.

The thought of traveling 3,000kms every second week to play a game of football doesn't appeal to many forwards these days, as the travel takes it's toll on the body they say.

The Eagles paid Sharrod Wellingham $465,000 a year for 3 years after he wanted a 4 year deal on $450,000 a year instead, but that cost them pick 17 as well. But the papers over here only want to talk about Colin Sylvia because Ross Lyon refused to play him in a scratchy last week.

Good luck for the season ahead guys, I'm really looking forward to see your new guys in the NAB Challenge next Thursday.

We basically handed over blank cheques to every half-arsed forward in the entire AFL, including Travis Cloke, Aaron Black and Jack Reiwoldt to try and gather some support for an aging Matthew Pavlich. When that didn't work we looked at who else was out of contract that could actually take a mark and kick a goal, and Col's name came up at the pub one night.

We didn't need a Colin Sylvia type though, we needed a Frankiln or Hawkins type forward instead.
We were already embarrassed under Mark Harvey when we drafted Jack Anthony as a delisted player back in 2010, and he we go again with "Col the Doll."
But I then look at Jesse White at Collingwood, whom we also handed a blank cheque to, and realise that things could have been much worse.

The thought of traveling 3,000kms every second week to play a game of football doesn't appeal to many forwards these days, as the travel takes it's toll on the body they say.

The Eagles paid Sharrod Wellingham $465,000 a year for 3 years after he wanted a 4 year deal on $450,000 a year instead, but that cost them pick 17 as well. But the papers over here only want to talk about Colin Sylvia because Ross Lyon refused to play him in a scratchy last week.

Good luck for the season ahead guys, I'm really looking forward to see your new guys in the NAB Challenge next Thursday.
Have to agree not sure why Fremantle pursued Sylvia, adding ageing midfielder to an ageing midfield didn't seem to be the right call. plus while Sylvia displayed some talent on occasions he was definitely undisciplined. Hope you guys pick up a forward in the coming seasons, although hands of Hogan!

Anyways i hope you guys push for another crack at the big dance this year

Have to agree not sure why Fremantle pursued Sylvia, adding ageing midfielder to an ageing midfield didn't seem to be the right call. plus while Sylvia displayed some talent on occasions he was definitely undisciplined. Hope you guys pick up a forward in the coming seasons, although hands of Hogan!

Anyways i hope you guys push for another crack at the big dance this year

List depth at worst. I am not a fan of the shirker and was very glad to see the back of him, but I didn't see many (any) people claiming he would be a complete failure at Freo before it happened. Personally I was expecting to see a lot of crowing from his few fans letting us know how good he could have been with other players around him as he racked up the odd 30 possession / 4 goal game playing as the 9th midfielder / 5th forward, etc. We all knew his work rate was s**t but you'd have thought Lyon instilling a bit of discipline plus the attraction of playing for a top 4 club might have pepped the lazy *er up a bit. Hindsight eh?

Instead, he continued to be a lazy sod and when challenged to lift his game, get fit and win his place in the team, couldn't be ****ed and seems happy to pea-heart around in the WAFL while collecting his wages. Oh well. Will probably be the last we hear of him.

Ross Lyon hasn't exactly got a reputation for regenerating a list for the next coach.
Well, based on his time at the one other club he coached, which was poorly managed and asked too much of him.
At Freo, he has developed the majority of our best 22, either as mature age recruits, new kids drafted during his tenure, or as fringe players who needed guidance to get the best out of themselves. There have been a few misses, such as Sylvia, but Ross isn't responsible for drafting and recruiting anyway.

Oh well. Will probably be the last we hear of him.
I think we'll see him again. Either on Crime Stoppers or Dancing with the Stars. Not sure what's worse.

I think we'll see him again. Either on Crime Stoppers or Dancing with the Stars. Not sure what's worse.

I could handle that. As long as he doesn't take up commentary...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, based on his time at the one other club he coached, which was poorly managed and asked too much of him.
At Freo, he has developed the majority of our best 22, either as mature age recruits, new kids drafted during his tenure, or as fringe players who needed guidance to get the best out of themselves. There have been a few misses, such as Sylvia, but Ross isn't responsible for drafting and recruiting anyway.

He's clearly one of the best, if not the best coach going around - so he's brought in for premiership windows, not to regenerate a list.

So I guess im jesting when I suggest he doesn't consider the future of his list.

That said, you must admit that you guys are going to take a big fall in 2 years time when he bails. The same thing happened to the Saints when he jumped ship there.

He's clearly one of the best, if not the best coach going around - so he's brought in for premiership windows, not to regenerate a list.

So I guess im jesting when I suggest he doesn't consider the future of his list.

That said, you must admit that you guys are going to take a big fall in 2 years time when he bails. The same thing happened to the Saints when he jumped ship there.

Wonder which club he will make his next project, If I were Richmond id take a look at him for sure

Freo now seems better placed than the Saints though. Mundy/Pav/McPharlin/Sandi will be big losses, but they've still got a strong midfield and some reasonable prospects developing. They'll be out of finals for a while, but I don't think they'll be winning a bunch of spoons either like the Saints. You're right that he isn't much of a list builder/regenerator though.

I don't think we're going to fall very far. We already have replacements for Pav, Sandi and McPharlin developing.

Ross just bought a house in WA, so I don't think he's planning on going anywhere. He loves it over there by all reports. When you've grown up in Reservoir, Fremantle is a freakin' paradise.

Cols next job could be in the re make of He - Man

images

He can stick to beach weights at Peel ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back