Is Darling our best player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised there hasn't been much talk about Yeo.
He's single handedly fixed the pace problem. He's only played a few games for WCE and he's tucking the ball under his arm and running.

I rate Yeo REALLY highly. But all year I still think he has been underutilized. Needs to be playing in the mid or on a wing.

wow. darling is amazing. I really wish he was at my club, he is your best player currently. However he is rivaled my many depending on form/injuries, sometimes its lecras, naitanui etc.

he went to my school :D, i know him, i know of him.. kinda..

wow. darling is amazing. I really wish he was at my club, he is your best player currently. However he is rivaled my many depending on form/injuries, sometimes its lecras, naitanui etc.

he went to my school :D, i know him, i know of him.. kinda..
He dragged you into his tent, didn't he?

Needs to be more selfish when he's got the ball. Tried to pass a few off against Port when he should have backed himself to kick them.

I love Darling :D
Can't believe he's only 21 still
Part of me wants to wrap him in cotton wool and protect him so he doesn't go the way of some of our injury prone stars :(.

Agree that LeCras/NN/JK are all candidates for our best players too. LeCras still has a subtle selfish streak to him which I don't really like (even if I like him otherwise as a player ) , I'm a massive fan of NN , don't get me wrong , but am worried about the impact his serial injuries will have on him (same comment could've been made of LeCras prior to this season and Kennedy in recent seasons , though I think they had better luck at NN's age), and I really like JK too, even if JD is my true love :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is our best player by a long way. In fact he is the only player in our side that would be a walk up start in any other side including Hawthorn and Geelong.

Maybe we should have taken the first 5 picks Sheedy offered us from GWS last year for Natanui? :eek:

EMac
LeCras
Hurn
Shuey
NN
JK

all walk up starts in any side.

Yeah I know they are likely candidates thats why I want Glass to go one more (also because Glass is awesome and I love him and nevet want him to retire) so that Jack can get a little more games under his belt and overtake them.

Glass should play on. He's good enough and much like Boomer Harvey he hasn't lost his pace. I don't believe he should retire at all. Our backline looks better with him in it.

Surprised there hasn't been much talk about Yeo.
He's single handedly fixed the pace problem. He's only played a few games for WCE and he's tucking the ball under his arm and running.

Love what he does, but he's run himself into trouble a few times when he should have given it off earlier. Ideally with Bennell, Hurn, Ellis, Emac, Glass, Brown etc in our back half we release him to the midfield and wing. He is a big strong and more importantly AGGRESSIVE body. He looks for the body contact and that's what we need.

EMac
LeCras
Hurn
Shuey
NN
JK

all walk up starts in any side.
If Shuey's a walk-up start, so are Masten and Wellingham, and based on this year's form, even Rosa! (ie I'm questioning that Shuey belongs in the same group as the rest at this stage)
Agree otherwise :)

If Shuey's a walk-up start, so are Masten and Wellingham, and based on this year's form, even Rosa! (ie I'm questioning that Shuey belongs in the same group as the rest at this stage)
Agree otherwise :)

Form wise, YES. However Shuey isn't that far off what he has shown he can produce. He missed a few shots on goal he would gobble up at his best. He also showed us in one passage against Port why he is (or in theory should be) better than the others. I'm talking about the take he had in the centre circle where he got it cleanly and shrugged the port player off with his explosiveness and hit Darling (could have been JK) lace out with a 45m bullet. In a game where our mids struggled to break free and get clean possession it really stood out.

Also think about a player like Shuey in a midfield like Collingwoods for example. Imagine the offensive damage he would do if surrounded by other high calibre midfielders.

Form wise, YES. However Shuey isn't that far off what he has shown he can produce. He missed a few shots on goal he would gobble up at his best. He also showed us in one passage against Port why he is (or in theory should be) better than the others. I'm talking about the take he had in the centre circle where he got it cleanly and shrugged the port player off with his explosiveness and hit Darling (could have been JK) lace out with a 45m bullet. In a game where our mids struggled to break free and get clean possession it really stood out.

Also think about a player like Shuey in a midfield like Collingwoods for example. Imagine the offensive damage he would do if surrounded by other high calibre midfielders.
Yes that was a good passage, but if we're talking about what players can produce, then I think Masten has produced at least as much at peak, if not more (and has been more consistent). I had high hopes for Shuey after that year when he was robbed of the rising star, but he hasn't since matched that consistency (even if he has matched the peak at times). I agree that him and Masten are ahead of Selwood /Wellingham in terms of being the best hopes of turning into an elite mid from that age bracket, Gaff is a little younger than that group and deserves more time. I don't think any of our mids are a walk-up start to all clubs unfortunately

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Darling is captain material.
All sorts of people can make great captains. Couldn't care less that he might not be the sharpest or the best with dealing with media. Care that he is the kind of guy that on the footy field goes at it head on and is the kind of guy that every other player would follow to hell and back.

for all his impressive efforts vs port, darling made a couple of idiotic decisions to play on in the last quarter which cost us dearly.

still doesn't convert enough opportunities into goals given the talent he has.

ChampRevesby and I were talking about this after the game last night.

Are there any players in the current team that supporters like?

Darling is up there, along with JK, Glass, eMac, but after that, not so sure.

By like I mean not the absolute best, but you just like (it's a bit hard to explain)

Previous players: Kemp, Matera, Judd, Cousins etc...

If Brown keeps up the one-percenters he'll get out of the doghouse with fans very soon. Has impressed this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back