Is Eddie McGuire the most powerful man in football ? asks Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The leadership void at the helm of Australian football appears to be nearing an end, which is fortunate because it was in danger of having been filled by stealth.

And the evidence was mounting that the most powerful man in football was not AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick nor league chief executive Andrew Demetriou, but Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/is-eddie-mcguire-the-most-powerful-man-in-football-20140428-zr0x0.html#ixzz30BQhdHe0

I can't think of anybody more influential and outspoken than Eddie, and to be honest, he is good for the game. Sure he bleeds for Collingwoid, but he knows how to separate this from the bigger picture, IMO.

Sure he can fly, has super speed, impervious, super strength, and heat vision, but unless he develops frost breath he isn't the superman I know. This theMan of Steel forums?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe in victorian media circles, but he has truthfully no influence in wa and probably other states as well, so no. rarely mentioned over here except when he been racist or vulgar. so at least 3 times a year. a real dickhead

Clearly never met the man... :rolleyes:

I can't think of anybody more influential and outspoken than Eddie, and to be honest, he is good for the game. Sure he bleeds for Collingwoid, but he knows how to separate this from the bigger picture, IMO.
I don't know. He says a lot of the right things about equalisation but at the end of the day will protect Collingwood's interests. His game plan is to drip feed the small Victorian clubs so they stay afloat and continue to provide easy pickings for the Magpies in terms of wins and fixture privileges.

As Caro says, he's the President of Collingwood. If he wasn't then having him as a power broken and statesman would make a lot more sense than it does currently.

maybe in victorian media circles, but he has truthfully no influence in wa and probably other states as well, so no. rarely mentioned over here except when he been racist or vulgar. so at least 3 times a year. a real dickhead

Yeah powerful, successful guy who the twice I've met him has been outstandingly nice and down to earth is a dickhead...

Not the guy talking s**t about someone he's never met out of pure jealousy.

Yes he is, but he has been for a long while, which makes it strange that the article is written as some shocking revelation that will rock the football world.

The nakedness of Caro's hate is really the only interesting part of this. She's not even trying to hide it anymore.

I wondered what prompted this latest tanty and lo and behold there it was...apparently Eddie is solely responsible for pouring cold water on a plan by Richmond to make up a marquee match before ANZAC day.

Which is worse Caro, a president of a footy club seeking to advance the interests of his club, or a journalist using her pulpit to have a whinge at anyone she dislikes and anyone who doesn't genuflect for her beloved Tigers. I'll give you a hint, one is supposed to be partisan and one is supposed to be impartial. I'll leave it to ou o work out which is which.

The nakedness of Caro's hate is really the only interesting part of this. She's not even trying to hide it anymore.

I wondered what prompted this latest tanty and lo and behold there it was...apparently Eddie is solely responsible for pouring cold water on a plan by Richmond to make up a marquee match before ANZAC day.

Which is worse Caro, a president of a footy club seeking to advance the interests of his club, or a journalist using her pulpit to have a whinge at anyone she dislikes and anyone who doesn't genuflect for her beloved Tigers. I'll give you a hint, one is supposed to be partisan and one is supposed to be impartial. I'll leave it to ou o work out which is which.
To suggest this is Wilson's petty revenge over Anzac eve is ludicrous.

The article is generally very complimentary of McGuire. The point is that he has a massive conflict of interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back