Games Is FM 2014 Worth it?

A few things which I find weird atm.

1) Penalties. I seem to have a 95% strike rate. My regularly penalty taker went 2.5 years before his first miss. In PSO's, I find getting to 10+ is viable. I was shocked that my last one went 5-4.

2) This line in a news report: "Whatever the result, Hoffenheim will be justly proud of their sensational run to the final, best remembered perhaps for their memorable victory over managerless Liverpool on April 23"

How is beating a team without a manager memorable?

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
A few things which I find weird atm.

1) Penalties. I seem to have a 95% strike rate. My regularly penalty taker went 2.5 years before his first miss. In PSO's, I find getting to 10+ is viable. I was shocked that my last one went 5-4.

2) This line in a news report: "Whatever the result, Hoffenheim will be justly proud of their sensational run to the final, best remembered perhaps for their memorable victory over managerless Liverpool on April 23"

How is beating a team without a manager memorable?
Yep, penalties are safe bets. I had one go to about 15-16 or something once.

After 5 years with Arsenal (and 2 and a bit with Brazil)I felt like a new challenge. Take up Spain instantly To avoid boredom while waiting for one of my 6 'dream clubs' to have a spot at manager.
About 30% of the way into the season, 1 opens up. 1899 Hoffenheim in Germany. I take it, and try and build my team quickly onloans. But I found an amazing one. Would've tried to have bought him if I could afford it.

He had been at Bayern Munich since he was 15 and from when he was 15 to when he was 19, he had played 6 league games and 11 reserves games.
Got him on loan for the rest of the year (I took over from gameday 14) he was key for me, getting much needed goals, not too many though as I had to play a counter attacking style while I built my team. In 17 games in that first season he had 7 goals. Not bad, but he got the team from relegation zone to Europa Cup. (No where near the top 3 though, they were that far out in front I doubt anyone could have chased them down after the start Hoffenheim had before I entered) He was going ok, but I saw a future with him, so tried to buy him, but the board wouldn't give me the money available to get him. I've had a max of 20M euros, Bayern's asking price is 40M at this stage.

He exploded in his 2nd season here at Hoffenheim. 22 goals in 32 games leading me to the league title and Europa (failed in cup losing semi to Dortmund).... I win the league.... My rich billionaire backer decides to take the money out of the club as he thinks I can stand by myself. Sure, I can. But give me the 70M (What Bayern is demanding now) so I can get this stud! He had 7 goals from 7 games for Germany in his time at Hoffenheim. And he wasn't even 21 yet. And I can't even get him on loan anymore as Bayern see me as a rival now who can actually finish above them.

Leaves me without a decent striker....I had to resort to a 2M transfer to bring in a 35 year old Llorente. (Still has it) Hoepfully I can muster up some money to get a new striker in.

Love my keeper though. When I was with Spain, Reina/De Gea/Casillas were all injured for one set of friendlies. Went through the list of who else was available and stumbled across one I felt should be in the squad for Spain (Only behind De Gea).... He wasn't signed with any club. Instantly signed him to Hoffenheim before I could even call him up to Spain for a couple of games. Dominated since.

OMFG - YES!
One of my other dream destination jobs opened up as the manager is going to manage his nation.
And AC Milan have given me a 120M transfer budget. First step, get the star of Bayern to AC Milan (and hope like hell there's enough to get that goalie from Hoffenheim too)

Finished two seasons:

Liverpool did the standard sack Rodgers in season 1 and get the Santorelli guy or whoever it is they always do in.

Santorelli takes them to mid table in season 2 before being sacked and replaced by Malky Mackay who has just won the FA Cup with Cardiff. :eek:

I was rumored to take over the Liverpool roll but told the press I wasn't interested having finished above them both seasons with Fulham. :D:D

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I've pretty much abandoned FM14- though I did start a new save recently so I might creep back into it.

More interested in my long-spanning FM12 career- retired my original manager, started a new one, won 3 out of 4 Premier League titles with Spurs, including the last 2 and the last 2 ECLs too. Up to the year 2044!

I like these 'co-ownership' deals in Serie A.

Found a stud 21 year old Defender at Napoli. Couldn't afford to bring him straight in, (They wanted 180 euro! my budget was 130)
I went for co-ownership at 60, only have to outbid them in 1 years time and I have him. Considering this guy is a STUD and the previous manager made this team worldclass by himself (He won 7 straight Serie A while I was with Arsenal/Hoffenheim) I just need that icing on the cake to take AC Milan above the monster Arsenal side I built as well as the monster Blanc has created at Manchester United.

Blanc just lead United to an EPL title (breaking Arsenal's 7 straight - 5 by me, 2 by Ancelotti) as well as taking out the Champions League.

What I found amusing was that I made Arsenal so big and such high expectations, Arsenal fired Ancelotti (2nd EPL, Quarters CL, 4th round FA Cup) and signed Pep Guardilia (Or whatever his name is from Bayern Munich :O )

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Just signed Fabregas to Liverpool in 2018 without Champions League or even Europa League to offer! And then Juan Iturbe on top of that. :D

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
Mark Hughes is now in charge of Liverpool in my latest save. The sad thing is that he's actually doing pretty well with them, currently in 2nd with a decent shot of winning the title.

WTF - Computer brings forward my matchday 1 kickoff for the champions league vs Hoffenheim..........Into the middle of a ****ing international break.

I didn't realise this and registered firs team players............Who are all overseas or travelling home......WHAT THE *!?!?!?!??!?

Can't forfeit, can't postpone the game, can't re-register reserve players.

I have to quit this save after 8 years in because a glitch wont let me play a ******* game.....Or is there another way around it????

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Donis Avdijaj lads.

Had him since he was 16, he is 19 now.

10150957_10152383308755992_1042653225_n.jpg

Remind me to show you Marco Adamcyck sometime.
Best player in the world. Got him on loan into Hoffenheim when he was good (but n great so couldn't break Bayern Munich squad), turned him great, then when I moved to AC Milan, I got him instantly.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Gees you guys drop some serious coin on players.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've spend $40 Million + on players.

I still haven't got the "splash the cash" unlock for 2014 :oops:

(I cant count the amount of players I've sold for over 40 million though:cool:)

Yes...I play my games like Arsene Wenger in real life haha

Gees you guys drop some serious coin on players.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've spend $40 Million + on players.

I still haven't got the "splash the cash" unlock for 2014 :oops:

(I cant count the amount of players I've sold for over 40 million though:cool:)

Yes...I play my games like Arsene Wenger in real life haha
I was like that at Arsenal.
At Hoffenhiem I didn't have the cash to splash around, I had to build my team on loaning studs who couldn't crack the best teams in the world.
At AC Milan I'm splashing it on the stars as I'm getting 110m euro a year and the team was already solide from the previous manager. Team felt like the current Arsenal side, just need the 2-3 super stars and it's an amazing side.

Back